Body Fat Estimate

Options
2»

Replies

• RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Imho you need to bull man. I can see your ribs. You may have some fat but you're definitely not someone that needs to cut.
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bulk*
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP, definitely run a structured program. I have been an athlete my whole life, and I get much better results when I follow a structured tried, tested, and true program, versus making up my own, which works, but nowhere near as well.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'd say bulk cuz you don't have a great base of lean muscle yet to go in the low BF ranges.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'd say bulk cuz you don't have a great base of lean muscle yet to go in the low BF ranges.

How high should I go? My main concern is becoming to high in BF and looking like I did about 2 years ago when I was very overweight and out of shape. At least now I am comfortable with my body, but I know I can do better and that's why I was going to bulk

• dpr73
    edited October 2015
    Options
    RedWolf09 wrote: »
    Imho you need to bull man. I can see your ribs. You may have some fat but you're definitely not someone that needs to cut.

I am fine with eating more, but I don't want to end up at the beginning again when I was out of shape and 200lbs. I know this is mainly to do with the fact that I was very inactive growing up but I just don't know how I SHOULD look at the top of my bulk (i.e. At my fattest) will I most likely look in shape, or look out of shape again?

Also, I thought people who were skinny fat have typically a large waist? My waist is smaller than most people I know. I'm not questioning what you are all saying, but I simply am curious about the contradiction in my situation
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    RedWolf09 wrote: »

I am fine with eating more, but I don't want to end up at the beginning again when I was out of shape and 200lbs. I know this is mainly to do with the fact that I was very inactive growing up but I just don't know how I SHOULD look at the top of my bulk (i.e. At my fattest) will I most likely look in shape, or look out of shape again?

Also, I thought people who were skinny fat have typically a large waist? My waist is smaller than most people I know. I'm not questioning what you are all saying, but I simply am curious about the contradiction in my situation

Every person stores fat differently. I'm kinda skinny fat and have a pretty small waist. My body is a pear type, so I store fat in my thighs. Therefore my thighs/hips can be two clothing sizes bigger than my waist.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Also, I thought people who were skinny fat have typically a large waist? My waist is smaller than most people I know.

But you're not 'skinny fat' (I don't think anyone even said that), you're just skinny. This page has information on body fat ranges: http://www.webmd.com/diet/body-fat-measurement?page=2 . Note how yours is fine.

• dpr73
    Options
    Also, I thought people who were skinny fat have typically a large waist? My waist is smaller than most people I know.

But you're not 'skinny fat' (I don't think anyone even said that), you're just skinny. This page has information on body fat ranges: http://www.webmd.com/diet/body-fat-measurement?page=2 . Note how yours is fine.
    But it's just not right for bulking? So I'm in like a weird position where I am not primed for bulking but am skinny, and losing fat isn't the smartest move given my weight currently, right?
    I am just seemingly getting caught on the usual "rule" that people should get below 15% before starting a bulk.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    But it's just not right for bulking? So I'm in like a weird position where I am not primed for bulking but am skinny, and losing fat isn't the smartest move given my weight currently, right?
    I am just seemingly getting caught on the usual "rule" that people should get below 15% before starting a bulk.
    I bulked at a higher body fat than is usually recommended for women and it didn't really go badly. I gained a reasonable amount of much-needed muscle. Yeah, apparently you get much better results at a lower body fat %, but that doesn't mean you should never, ever consider it above that. You should stop worrying and just enjoy your bulk and results. You won't have a problem if you're sensible about it and don't have a ridiculously high surplus.

Also, congratulations on the weight loss :)
  • dpr73
    Options
    I bulked at a higher body fat than is usually recommended for women and it didn't really go badly. I gained a reasonable amount of much-needed muscle. Yeah, apparently you get much better results at a lower body fat %, but that doesn't mean you should never, ever consider it above that. You should stop worrying and just enjoy your bulk and results. You won't have a problem if you're sensible about it and don't have a ridiculously high surplus.

Also, congratulations on the weight loss :)

Thanks! I am pretty unsure of myself because it seems pretty easy but you hear all the time people who bulk terribly and I am trying to do it correctly and gain muscle rather than balloon back again
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

How high should I go? My main concern is becoming to high in BF and looking like I did about 2 years ago when I was very overweight and out of shape. At least now I am comfortable with my body, but I know I can do better and that's why I was going to bulk

Keep going till your uncomfortable with the fat. Then cut. It's really not that complicated. If you're training and not eating a crazy surplus, you'll be fine with the added fat during the bulk. The muscle makes errrthing alright.