How to eat just one cookie

Options
lisabinco
lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
Here's the link: http://greatist.com/connect/how-eat-just-one-cookie

I read the article. I disagree, however, that this one-cookie approach has nothing to do with discipline. "Delayed gratification" has EVERYTHING to do with discipline. Self-discipline, the toughest kind of discipline. It is, however, LEARNED not innate; some of us just learn it later as adults, rather than as children, early in life; most specifically, as it applies to the food we eat.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with pretty much everything in the article.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lisabinco wrote: »
    Here's the link: http://greatist.com/connect/how-eat-just-one-cookie

I read the article. I disagree, however, that this one-cookie approach has nothing to do with discipline. "Delayed gratification" has EVERYTHING to do with discipline. Self-discipline, the toughest kind of discipline. It is, however, LEARNED not innate; some of us just learn it later as adults, rather than as children, early in life; most specifically, as it applies to the food we eat.

wow great article. not sure why you disagree.. she didn't say it doesn't have to do with discipline.. simply that she doesn't have any more discipline than you or i.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It is easier for me to eat no cookies than just one.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    How to eat just 1 cookie: Make it a really big cookie!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I really liked it. I'm trying to be really mindful when I have a treat, both why I'm wanting it, and being aware of my whole day and how my macros will line up when the day is over.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    didn't read the article, but i've never had a problem just having a cookie. i don't really have issues with foods like that...i have bigger issues with, for example, meat and cheese platters...i can eat all of that if i let myself, and sometimes i do. fortunately though, i've learned a lot of self discipline over these past few years.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I loved the article because I am the person who gets the sense of urgency to eat everything. If I let myself have what I want, then I don't have the urge to eat everything. It's not the last time I'm ever going to have it.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I agree with the article as well. And I think it's a false dichotomy to make it be all or nothing. There is a middle ground.

I think getting over these mental hurdles has more to do with it rather than being more disciplined than another person.
    A person abstaining from cookies is being disciplined. But I think they've given cookies a lot of power if they believe they can't have a reasonable portion of cookies without losing all self-control, and that is a mental hurdle. Part of me also thinks that this mental hurdle, or narrative, is precisely what green-lights people to lose self-control around cookies (or whatever). The narrative, their self-understanding, would be contradictory if they didn't devour all the cookies.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Enjoy that one cookie thoroughly by eating it very slowly. Take a bite and chew VERY slowly and letting all of your tastebuds enjoy that cookie. Put the cookie down, wait a bit and do it again and repeat until cookie is gone. We can all have sweets now and then. It's a matter of really enjoying it though or why bother eating the extra calories?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    A person abstaining from cookies is being disciplined. But I think they've given cookies a lot of power if they believe they can't have a reasonable portion of cookies without losing all self-control, and that is a mental hurdle. Part of me also thinks that this mental hurdle, or narrative, is precisely what green-lights people to lose self-control around cookies (or whatever). The narrative, their self-understanding, would be contradictory if they didn't devour all the cookies.

I agree with this.

I used to be one of those people who thought I "couldn't" have just one cookie. Or one piece of cake. Or one brownie. Or one square of a chocolate bar. I'd keep eating automatically, until all the cookies were gone. And I just couldn't fathom how anyone could possibly do otherwise?

Then I realized that I did have a choice. I was making a choice to consume all those cookies. I needed to replace the word "couldn't" with the word "wouldn't".

Before, I wouldn't eat just one cookie. I'd eat more of them. But it was me, choosing to eat all those cookies. The cookies themselves simply weren't powerful enough to force me to eat them. I had control over them; they didn't have control over me.

And so I realized I could eat just one cookie. And now, that's exactly what I do. I eat one cookie at a time. (Bake recipes that freeze well and take them out of the freezer one at a time if you want to make them last). I buy fancy expensive high-cocoa content dark chocolate bars and eat them one square at a time. I let myself have dessert when eating at someone's house, but I limit myself to one brownie or one small slice of cake. That's it.

I'd rather have some than none. And I am stronger than the cookies.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I'd rather have some than none.

Exactly. I love cookies. The prospect of never having cookies again without binging is just dreadful, and the prospect of never having cookies at all even worse.

So I decide to just have one (or two, whatever fits my calories really).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It is easier for me to eat no cookies than just one.

Ditto. I'd rather have none. And now that I have none, they mean absolutely nothing to me.
    There's a box of open cookies hubs brought home on the counter and meh, no appeal any more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    didn't read the article, but i've never had a problem just having a cookie. i don't really have issues with foods like that...i have bigger issues with, for example, meat and cheese platters...i can eat all of that if i let myself, and sometimes i do. fortunately though, i've learned a lot of self discipline over these past few years.
    This is me with pizza. I could have eaten tons of pizza.
    Now i eat better pizza, and don't eat the whole thing, just a couple of slices, with a salad.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'd rather have some than none.

Exactly. I love cookies. The prospect of never having cookies again without binging is just dreadful, and the prospect of never having cookies at all even worse.

So I decide to just have one (or two, whatever fits my calories really).

And I like post where it says eat just ONE BIG Cookie... If it fits, I can eat it.. If it does not fit, I make room another day..
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Don't have a problem eating one cookie

1 open the cabinet
    2 get cookie pack out
    3 take ONE cookie
    4 close the cookie pack
    5 put away the cookie pack in the cabinet
    6 walk out of the kitchen with your cookie ( & coffee)
    7 sit down pick up my book or game
    8 enjoy cookie

see simple :smiley:

in times of need....repeat point 1 till 8

95069916.png
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I am stronger than the cookies.

I would buy this as a slogan on a tee shirt. Or maybe a baseball cap. Where should I send my money? :smiley:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    f295bfc15003410edb89888e7ca7f963.jpg
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Nope. Can't eat just one cookie.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Did not read. I eat one cookie by crushing it up in yogurt or ice cream and putting the rest away.