• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Don't have a problem eating one cookie

1 open the cabinet
    2 get cookie pack out
    3 take ONE cookie
    4 close the cookie pack
    5 put away the cookie pack in the cabinet
    6 walk out of the kitchen with your cookie ( & coffee)
    7 sit down pick up my book or game
    8 enjoy cookie

see simple :smiley:

Yep ... that's about it.

Maybe it helps that growing up, when my brother and I arrived home after school, we were given one cookie and a glass of milk. Just one. No need for more. Dinner would be on in about 1.5 hours, so the one cookie would tide us over till then.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Because, for the most part, I eat what I want. ...
    Because if I know the food is around and always available, its urgency goes away.
    Nope. For many of us, this is exactly how we got fat. Glad it works for some.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    I got -a- be very very careful around them cookies

8lq4bom6udbk.jpg
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2015
    LOL I like when she says: "My ability to eat just one cookie has nothing to do with the fact that I am more disciplined than the next person. " LOL

She seems a bit egocentric to me. It worked for her so it will work for all. I appreciate that she is trying to be helpful, or sell something, so kudos to her. I'm sure she helped some people. It just felt patronizing to me.

Her questions were a chuckle...

How restrictive am I with my food choices?
    They weren't, so I ate too much.

Do I ever put cookies off-limits? If so, how often?
    Never did, which was my problem. If I wanted one I ate it, then I wanted more.

How do I feel when I see cookies? Do I feel anxious, nervous, stressed?
    Ha. No. Nowadays? It looks like it would taste good, but it isn't worth it.

What am I doing when I eat cookies? Am I sitting down focusing on the treat, or am I standing up and scrolling through my phone while I stuff my face?
    I was usually reading.

What were to happen if I ate a cookie every single day?
    I got fat...

I say this all the time: Never place a food off limits—especially food that you really love. If cookies are your jam, then why in the world would you turn them down?
    They spiked my blood glucose and made me want more. I am much healthier and better off not eating any, and I don't miss them much anymore.

Nobody ever got fat from eating one cookie.
    Just from eating one cookie at a time. ;)
  • dovivienne
    dovivienne Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2015
    I agree with the article. Mmm a rule I follow is I never buy sweet things, so if I want something sweet I have to make it and bake it myself.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    I believe in trigger foods...there are certain food that people have they cant stop with one. So if thats the case dont start with one ;-)
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It is easier for me to eat no cookies than just one.

Same here. For me if I start eating sweets it's very hard to stop again, but as long as I don't eat the first cookie (or chocolate etc), I am fine and don't even really want it much.

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    This article doesnt apply to everyone. 1 cookie for me sets off intense cravings for more, which would require discipline which I suck at. So no cookies for me. I have the same response with bread if I eat a sandwich 1 day, I end up craving it the next day and the next along with other carbs and junk. If I cut all these things out of my diet I stop craving them and start craving healthy things like fruits. If i would have a pack of cookies sitting in my kitchen and I decided to eat it 1 day because it fit into my goal it restarts the cravings.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    This article doesnt apply to everyone. 1 cookie for me sets off intense cravings for more, which would require discipline which I suck at. So no cookies for me. I have the same response with bread if I eat a sandwich 1 day, I end up craving it the next day and the next along with other carbs and junk. If I cut all these things out of my diet I stop craving them and start craving healthy things like fruits. If i would have a pack of cookies sitting in my kitchen and I decided to eat it 1 day because it fit into my goal it restarts the cravings.

I SO get you. I avoid having anything like that in the house because I WILL eat it. I have noticed I can have a incredible diet all day - until I get home and I'm tired. Then I'll eat and won't notice I'm full till half the fridge is empty :neutral: lol

I JUST WISH supermarkets would make single serve packets - packets of ONE cookie, ONE chocolate...so I only allow myself when the cookies/bread are reduced and I can buy one and throw away the rest.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    This article doesnt apply to everyone...
    I certainly agree. I can have cookies, chocolate, etc. in the house and easily just have one cookie or one piece of chocolate for dessert after dinner, then put the rest away and think nothing more of it. My wife absolutely can't do it - if the cookies or chocolate or whatever is there, they occupy her every waking thought until she gives in and devours the whole package. She can easily do without them and doesn't miss them if they're not in the house - but if they're here, she can't control her cravings.

I JUST WISH supermarkets would make single serve packets - packets of ONE cookie, ONE chocolate...so I only allow myself when the cookies/bread are reduced and I can buy one and throw away the rest.
    Similarly, I wish restaurants would offer desserts in very small portions. I like something sweet after dinner, but just a bite or two will do fine - I don't need a 2,500-calorie slice of Seven-layer Ultimate Triple Chocolate Lava Cake the size of a small continent, and I'm not paying $7.99 for it just to take two bites and toss the rest. Offer me a tiny little chunk (a couple bites worth) of that cake for $1.99 and you've got a deal.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    This article doesnt apply to everyone...
    I certainly agree. I can have cookies, chocolate, etc. in the house and easily just have one cookie or one piece of chocolate for dessert after dinner, then put the rest away and think nothing more of it. My wife absolutely can't do it - if the cookies or chocolate or whatever is there, they occupy her every waking thought until she gives in and devours the whole package. She can easily do without them and doesn't miss them if they're not in the house - but if they're here, she can't control her cravings.

Similarly, I wish restaurants would offer desserts in very small portions. I like something sweet after dinner, but just a bite or two will do fine - I don't need a 2,500-calorie slice of Seven-layer Ultimate Triple Chocolate Lava Cake the size of a small continent, and I'm not paying $7.99 for it just to take two bites and toss the rest. Offer me a tiny little chunk (a couple bites worth) of that cake for $1.99 and you've got a deal.

Yeah I'm just like your wife, a friend similarly said she thinks she unconsciously tries to get rid of it so it's not around anymore. I think it may work like that for some of us. I totally agree with desserts too - it's like with coffee.

I work in a coffee shop and our cakes and sweets are HUGE. I love coffee and it's nice to have something sweet with it, but I don't want a whole piece..and I don't want to take it home. The advantage of working there, is getting to try little bits here and there and satisfy a craving (my manager also loves it since that means I've tried everything and can advise customers on what to have lol)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I thought that was a very thoughtful article. Right from the beginning the statment was I am not more disciplined than the next person. What the article was about was mindfulness. When we are mindful, we are strong. And that is because mindfulness means being conscious of who I am and what I do to myself to treat myself with respect.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    I thought that was a very thoughtful article. Right from the beginning the statment was I am not more disciplined than the next person. What the article was about was mindfulness. When we are mindful, we are strong. And that is because mindfulness means being conscious of who I am and what I do to myself to treat myself with respect.
    I am pretty mindful that I lack discipline. I can totally be aware of my goals, respect myself, and understand that I should not overindulge but I will still eat the 2nd cookie because the cravings are strong, But I know there are people like you who are lucky enough to control it. Whether you are calling it mindfulness or discipline in the end it is all about control and you guys are able to do it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    I am pretty mindful that I lack discipline. I can totally be aware of my goals, respect myself, and understand that I should not overindulge but I will still eat the 2nd cookie because the cravings are strong, But I know there are people like you who are lucky enough to control it. Whether you are calling it mindfulness or discipline in the end it is all about control and you guys are able to do it.
    As Dirty Harry once said, "a man's got to know his limitations". :)

Some people can handle having sweets in the house, some can't. For those who can't, keeping them out of the house isn't called weakness, it's called being smart. Nobody with a lick of sense would tell a recovering alcoholic to keep a fully stocked bar in their house and 'be mindful', so why should it be any different with food?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    The only way I'm eating 1 cookie, is if there is ONLY 1 cookie that I can access.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    dovivienne wrote: »
    I agree with the article. Mmm a rule I follow is I never buy sweet things, so if I want something sweet I have to make it and bake it myself.

That's actually way worse for me, because freshly baked goods typically don't last that long... so you got to eat them before they go bad. Or freeze them when possible, of course, but then they're still in the house and we're back to the same situation, lol. And they're tastier, so more difficult to resist for me too...

AnvilHead wrote: »

I hear you there. I can fit 400 calories of dessert most of the time, but there are pretty much no restaurants that sell 400 calories portions. There was a small local restaurant here that sold delicious desserts that were all less than 350 calories but it closed, sadly. So if I want a specific dessert I pretty much have to make it myself or find a bakery that sells reasonable portions.

Anyway, for what it's worth... not going to be a popular, but IMO all the people who say 'I can't stop at one cookie' just don't have the right mindset, like the article says... you won't succeed if you convince yourself that you'll fail. I was one of the people who couldn't stop at one cookie though, so I kinda get it, and I still sometimes can't stop at one cookie, but most of the time, I can. But of course if you don't want to learn to stop at one cookie, that's totally your right.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    I buy Nestle cookies in a package of dough broken into small squares you bake yourself.

I have two, and only two, for dessert every day.

You can't raid the box with these because it takes time and effort to make them.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    I can eat only one biscuit as long as I put the rest of the packet back in the cupboard before eating it, but if the packet stays open nearby I can't resist another one (or two or three)
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    I can't eat just one cookie. I am a fantastic baker but rarely do it unless I am giving the goods away because I will eat whatever I make within two days.

I want to explore making single serving desserts. www.cakeforone.com

Lots of recipes via Google.

Fresh treat without leftovers. Easy to track calories too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Did not read. I eat one cookie by crushing it up in yogurt or ice cream and putting the rest away.

While the title makes it seem overly simplistic, it's actually a really good article about how moderation can help people who have binging issues with a particular kind of food (cookies for the author).