Expectations

124»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    Never mind I changed to 1 pound a week and all I got was an extra stupid 140 calories. Why bother! I'll stick with 1200 no wonder I am losing so slow I just can't make that big a deficit. I wonder what maintenance is? I guess it is probably super low. This stinks.
    There is no way your tdee is this low, especially given how much you woekout. You have been told in thread after thread that you need to eat more to support your exercise (which has also been called excessive). This thread is pointless; you're just going to ignore this advice as well and do what you want.

At what point has my exercise ever been excessive? I play hockey once a week for an hour that's it other than walking the dog if that's excessive there are a lot of people on here that better watch out.
    So all great one what would you calculate my needs as if MFP is incorrect in your eyes

I apologize, I must have confused you with another user.

That said, you seem to have said you have been losing at 2lbs per week at 1200 calories with some minor water fluctuations. If that is the case, you are more active than MFP thinks you are; the calculator caped you at 1200 because it won't recommend going lower, but you still lost at the expected rate. Whatever you are doing, what you have put into the MFP calculator for your activity level isn't accurate.

I would suggest either raising your activity level to lightly active and changing your goal to 1lb/week or manually setting your goal to 1700 (500 calories more than what you were eating to lose 2lbs per week).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    Just for people giving advice - OP has been outed before on previous threads with a history of eating disorders and profiles on pro ana websites, so I would tread lightly.
    not helpful but thanks anyway.

It is actually helpful. It stops people giving you advice that may hinder your past issues with food. I really do worry about you being on here when you have such a disfunctional relationship with food. :(

I have a great relationship with food I love it but it doesn't love me. It makes me happy then it makes me fat. So then I have to stop eating as much and that makes me sad

But that is the kind of disordered thinking that makes us worry. Food in itself doesn't make you fat. You have to eat more calories than you expend. On top of that, you seem to go through cycles of heavy calorie restriction and then fall off the wagon. That can also be a sign of a type of ED.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Doesn't sound "great" by a long shot.

+1
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Hello all. I just want some feedback on how much is a reasonable amount to lose before Christmas. I figure that is 10 weeks. My goal has always been 2 pounds a week I just like the sound of it and some weeks I do lose that much or more 10 weeks could be 20 pounds. But it is the holidays and I am getting closer to my goal.
    I have 37 pounds to get to
    UGW of 135. But I would be happy at 145 for a bit. So how close do you think I will get and what lose per week should I ultimately aim for. ( and don't say 1/2 pound a week I still have a long way to go)
    Oh forgot 5'8" sit at a desk all day.

Take the stairs up and down if you are in a office building during your breaks and lunch.

You can and could do more weight if you want, it's really up to you ... like how bad do you want it? how determined are you?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I thought that the point of the Fitbit adjustment was that it trues up the difference between your lifestyle activity setting and what your lifestyle calories actually are. Please correct me if I'm off about that. But if that is the case, I don't understand why you are consistently eating less than that number of calories.
  • psulemon wrote: »
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    Just for people giving advice - OP has been outed before on previous threads with a history of eating disorders and profiles on pro ana websites, so I would tread lightly.
    not helpful but thanks anyway.

It is actually helpful. It stops people giving you advice that may hinder your past issues with food. I really do worry about you being on here when you have such a disfunctional relationship with food. :(

I have a great relationship with food I love it but it doesn't love me. It makes me happy then it makes me fat. So then I have to stop eating as much and that makes me sad

But that is the kind of disordered thinking that makes us worry. Food in itself doesn't make you fat. You have to eat more calories than you expend. On top of that, you seem to go through cycles of heavy calorie restriction and then fall off the wagon. That can also be a sign of a type of ED.

Yep +1000
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    @superhockeymom we worry about you because we've either personally had experiences and overcome some of the same issues you face OR we saw someone we know/love go through it OR because there's hundreds of people who post here each month with varying levels of disordered thinking about food.

We're not saying you're crazy, we're not saying you're a bad person, we're not saying you're a failure.

What we're saying is you will have a much happier and healthier life if you learn how to see food differently. That the food isn't "bad" and the food isn't "making you fat." You're creating unreasonable expectations for yourself of what food can accomplish and the effectiveness of deficits higher than recommended.

You are simply not that overweight. I know you don't like how you look and feel. You are allowed to strive for the look and aesthetics you want for your body. HOWEVER, if you understood and really took to heart the way you're shooting yourself in the foot to achieve those ultimate goals you might understand why we're concerned.

What is your ultimate goal? To achieve a particular look? To physically feel better and have more energy? To live longer? To avoid disease and disability?

Putting artificial AND unsustainable AND unreasonably rigid goals for yourself has gotten you where you're at. Maybe you should try something new now.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I thought that the point of the Fitbit adjustment was that it trues up the difference between your lifestyle activity setting and what your lifestyle calories actually are. Please correct me if I'm off about that. But if that is the case, I don't understand why you are consistently eating less than that number of calories.

It is but I have tried and eating back everything causes me to actually gain. The difference is if I run instead of walk some of the steps then I feel what it gives me is more accurate.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

It is but I have tried and eating back everything causes me to actually gain. The difference is if I run instead of walk some of the steps then I feel what it gives me is more accurate.

How long are you eating everything and gaining? I mean, how long are you actually giving it? Because it's normal to have a bit of a gain when you start eating more calories, even if you are just moving up to maintenance. Moving your calories up for just a short period of time, seeing an increase in the scale, and then moving back down within a short period does not mean that you are gaining fat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

You're getting freaked out by temporary fluctuations ...you need to eat more for a few weeks ignoring the scales they will rebound back down and you will be eating a more appropriate level for a 5'8 active mom (says the 5'8 active mum of two)

Then you do it again and again until you find a more nutritious sensible level of eating

You've been eating too low for too long I fear
  • superhockeymom
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You're getting freaked out by temporary fluctuations ...you need to eat more for a few weeks ignoring the scales they will rebound back down and you will be eating a more appropriate level for a 5'8 active mom (says the 5'8 active mum of two)

Then you do it again and again until you find a more nutritious sensible level of eating

Well point made. I am actually taking a break this weekend starting today. We are going away for a hockey tournament and I was going to stress myself out and bring special food but that's crazy. I will just eat with everyone else try to make smart choices and not overindulge in junk but yes I will have a breakfast sandwich and a burger at lunch I will weigh before I leave and when I get home more because I want to know but that said my goal is to just be the same. Then I can move on from there. I do need to lose to be healthy I just need to get to that healthy BMI then I can slow it down. 8 pound and @ rabbitjb thanks you really do put things in perspective
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    One thing to keep in mind, when you eat more foods there are a ton of things that can cause for the increases in weight: sodium, additional carbs (more stored glycogen/water), and more food in your GI track. This is why it's important to try a strategy for 4-6 weeks prior to adjusting.
  • superhockeymom
    psulemon wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind, when you eat more foods there are a ton of things that can cause for the increases in weight: sodium, additional carbs (more stored glycogen/water), and more food in your GI track. This is why it's important to try a strategy for 4-6 weeks prior to adjusting.

I will keep that in mind when I start back up Monday. Thanks
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Well point made. I am actually taking a break this weekend starting today. We are going away for a hockey tournament and I was going to stress myself out and bring special food but that's crazy. I will just eat with everyone else try to make smart choices and not overindulge in junk but yes I will have a breakfast sandwich and a burger at lunch I will weigh before I leave and when I get home more because I want to know but that said my goal is to just be the same. Then I can move on from there. I do need to lose to be healthy I just need to get to that healthy BMI then I can slow it down. 8 pound and @ rabbitjb thanks you really do put things in perspective

I'm glad it makes sense

But your weight may well be up on Monday too...cos sodium and decent calories

Do not panic

Tell yourself it's normal because it's normal

This is my chart at maintenance and doing everything right ...see the black dots? Scale weight fluctuations ...but the overall pathway over months, and that's how you judge, is flat...ish

k8y1oq5gwk4j.jpg
  • superhockeymom
    @rabbitjb Thanks. I will not stress on Monday if I gain a little because I know it just come off easy. I can't wait for maintenance look good.
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    We are in the same weight range, and have similar goal weights. although i am around 5'5 - 5'6. I say slow & steady wins the race. Stick to 1 - 1.5 pounds a week. 2 pounds a week will be hard to attain and you will probably binge eat due to little calories being digested. Also don't just go off of what the scale says if you workout and eat right you might see some pleasing changes in your body.