How I work out 7 days a week | Lifting Weights

Options
sscarmack
sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
*I am no professional body builder or personal trainer, this is my personal advice, based on my personal experience.*
*Just because this works for me, does not mean it will work for you.*
*Remember to always warm up before lifting heavy and stretch afterwards.*

Any questions just ask. (There may be some typos, if so I apologize in advance)

I've had a couple people ask me for more details about my work out schedule, so I decided to do a quick write up.

I do a lot of reps and sets, some people say to stick to 4 sets, 8-12 reps....You need to find what works for your body and just go with it. I usually do 2-3 warm up sets and then start my working sets. I like to make sure my body is properly warmed up before every going heavy.

This may or may not be exactly what I do, but it definitely sums it up. I switch things up frequently to keep things fresh. Between doing, incline, decline, flat, high, low, parallel, high weight, low weight, super set, negatives, pause, etc. You can have 20 different works outs for one exercise.

On my high rep days, I like to incorporate super sets and drop sets with a short rest period.

Overview

Mon - Chest/Tri
Tues - Back/Bi
Wed - Legs
Thur - Arms/Shoulders
Fri - Chest
Sat - Back
Sun - Legs

Details

Mon - Chest/Tri (High weights, low reps)
Barbell Bench Press - Bar x10, Bar x10, 95 x10, 135 x3, 135x8, 185 x3, 185 x8, 225 x2, 225 x5, 245 x2......
Incline Dumbbell Press - 35 x5, 35 x10, 55 x 5, 55 x10, 70 x5, 70x5, 85 x4, 85 x4......
Weighted push ups - Bodyweight x10, BW x20, 45lbs x10, 45lbs x10....
Weighted Dips - BW x10, BW x10, 45lbs x10, 90lbs x10, 90lbs x10....
Tricep Pulldowns - Cable machine, don't know exact weights....warm up light, and increase to 4-6 reps
Overhead Pull overs (laying down on flat bench) - 45 x10, 65x10, 85x10, 100x6, 100x6.....

Tues - Back/Bi (Low weights, high reps)
Bent over barbell rows
Pull ups
Bent over dumbbell rows
Barbell shrugs
Wide grip lat pull down
Close grip late pull down

Wed - Legs (High weights, low reps)
Leg extension
Leg curl
Dumbbell lunges
Squat
Deadlifts
Leg Press
Calf Raises smith machine

Thur - Arms/Shoulders (Supersets)
Hammer Curls
EZ Bar Curl
Dumbbell Shoulder press
Reverse grip pull down
Straight arm raise
Laying down bicep curl

Fri - Chest (Low weights, high reps)
Bench press
Decline dumbbell
Cable Crossover (high and low)
Incline press smith machine
Chest plate raise (25lb plate, lay on flat bench, hold plate vertical (skinny way), slow presses and squeeze)

Sat - Back (High weights, low reps)
Pull ups
T Bar Rows
Deadlifts (focus more on the back)
One arm cable row (high and low)
Rear Delt extension (sit on bench, lean forward a little, focus on bringing elbows back and squeezing the traps)

Sun - Legs (Low weights, high reps)
Lunges, lunges, lunges
Seated calf raises
Leg Extension
Leg press

Replies

• tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of work, if you have the time and inclination, I suppose it's good! I'm on a three-per-week right now, I did a 5 x day a while back for about a month,,,,and from Jan to Apr of this year I was doing two-a-days everyday....cardio, weights, plyo, P90X,,,,all sorts of stuff,,,,,I think for me muscle confusion is what works me over pretty good, I just have to keep figuring out how to do that.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    That's a lot of work, if you have the time and inclination, I suppose it's good! I'm on a three-per-week right now, I did a 5 x day a while back for about a month,,,,and from Jan to Apr of this year I was doing two-a-days everyday....cardio, weights, plyo, P90X,,,,all sorts of stuff,,,,,I think for me muscle confusion is what works me over pretty good, I just have to keep figuring out how to do that.

I go right after work and it only takes me about 30-45 minutes to get through a workout, however I'm usually there for at least an hour working on my Jaw muscles hahaha...So its not that bad really.

Cardio???? What is that :wink: hahaha...That's one thing I don't do.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Good morning all. Rise for those who missed my crazy schedule.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous of you guys who can keep weight off without doing cardio. I run 5 days a week and box the other 2 which is all cardio. I'd probably put 5 pounds on a week if all I did was weights. Lucky you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    oilphins wrote: »
    I'm so jealous of you guys who can keep weight off without doing cardio. I run 5 days a week and box the other 2 which is all cardio. I'd probably put 5 pounds on a week if all I did was weights. Lucky you.

I got 2 words for ya: Diet.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    curious what do you do for abs and how often
  • oilphins
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I got 2 words for ya: Diet.[/quote]

Hey buddy I'm 5'11 and 165 pounds and running is how I keep my weight off eating 1700 calories a day. 5-6 days a week with a minimum run of 10k. So don't tell me to diet. What do you do, bike to the store and back? (lol) Always someone here at mfp with a typical smart a** comment. I'm sure if all you did was weights and no cardio you could maintain your weight Mr triathlete? Everyone's metabolism is different. He obviously can and good for him but not all of us can. Your hilarious.
  • Steve_Paul
    Steve_Paul Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Looks like a pretty solid routine. Far too much volume for me though, 10 years ago maybe :smiley:
  • oilphins
    Options
    Scarmack I do have a question for you. The days I don't run I box at a club with lots of intense cardio and a lot of core work. At 165 my abs are coming in a little bit but having a tough time getting them more defined. I have more like a four pack than six pack. Any suggestions on how to keep the weight off and calories down but also trying to keep my body % down as well? More protein or low fat eating possibly? Thinking of changing my eating routine to accomplish that. Any advice would help. Thanks.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    curious what do you do for abs and how often
    Michael, I completely missed adding in my ab workouts. Good catch! Obviously I train abs :)

Three days a week. Usually M,W,F

Monday
    Decline leg lifts
    Hanging leg raise
    Laying knee tucks
    Everything I warm up with 10 reps. Take a 30 second break and aim for 20 reps. 30 sec break. 20 reps.
    3-5 sets

Wednesday
    Russian twist
    Windshield wipers
    Ab bicycles
    Same reps and sets

Friday
    Cable crunch
    Barbell decline crunch (usually the bar works fine)
    Weighted knee tuck (dumbbell between feet)
    I'll focus on heavier weights here, meaning lower reps. Same sets.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Scarmack I do have a question for you. The days I don't run I box at a club with lots of intense cardio and a lot of core work. At 165 my abs are coming in a little bit but having a tough time getting them more defined. I have more like a four pack than six pack. Any suggestions on how to keep the weight off and calories down but also trying to keep my body % down as well? More protein or low fat eating possibly? Thinking of changing my eating routine to accomplish that. Any advice would help. Thanks.

I would have to check out your current nutrient plan (if you have one)...Most people just go by counting calories, which is great n all. But when it comes to abs...Abs require a extreme low body fat %, I think they start showing up around 15-16%. To take it to the next level, you're going to have to step up your nutrient game by starting to track your macros.

I try to eat around .6-1g of protein per body weight. I weight 1.....170 right now I think. So I simply 'guesstimate' it, I aim for 150g a day.

So of course 1g of protein is 4 calories, so thats 600 calories right there.

Fat I try to keep under 100g a day, 75 would be ideal, but I'm not trying to get crazy lean right now. 1g of fat is 9 calories, so 100 x 9 = 900

900 + 600 = 1,500

So far we're already up to 1500 calories and haven't even touched carbs yet...So my goal here is to fill in the rest with carbs...My maintenance calorie intake is around 2,000, right now I'm eating close to 2,750-3,000.

You'll need to find what your deficit is, so for me. Say I was around 15% body fat. I'd lower my calorie intake to 1,750.

Your body only needs so much protein, anything more is overkill. There are plenty of studies and threads on this, so just aim for .5-1g, as long as you're in that window, you'll be good.

Fats, keep them low, but don't eliminate them. half a gram per body weight is the window.

I would also look into "Intermittent Fasting", I don't personally do this as I'm currently 'bulking' and I find it way to challenging to fit all my meals in such a small window. But to cut, lose fat, and make those abs pop, IF is perfect!

And of course, abs are muscles, you have to stimulate them. Confuse them, high reps one day, low reps high weight another, throw in some medicine ball work, Russian twists.

Focus on squeezing the abs, make sure you are working the abs and aren't just 'going through the motion'. Nice and slow controlled movements.

Any questions just let me know.
  • sscarmack
    Options

Hey buddy I'm 5'11 and 165 pounds and running is how I keep my weight off eating 1700 calories a day. 5-6 days a week with a minimum run of 10k. So don't tell me to diet. What do you do, bike to the store and back? (lol) Always someone here at mfp with a typical smart a** comment. I'm sure if all you did was weights and no cardio you could maintain your weight Mr triathlete? Everyone's metabolism is different. He obviously can and good for him but not all of us can. Your hilarious.[/quote]

Well said, really. Everyone is different and thats why I started this thread "this will not work for everyone" haha

My metabolism is still in hyper drive and I read somewhere, the more muscle you build the more fat or calories you will burn? So basically its a vicious cycle. Maybe thats true? I'm really not sure. I need to do some more research.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Steve_Paul wrote: »
    Looks like a pretty solid routine. Far too much volume for me though, 10 years ago maybe :smiley:

Your profile pic is impressive as all hell (if thats really you). Enjoy it while I can, right? :)
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Hey buddy I'm 5'11 and 165 pounds and running is how I keep my weight off eating 1700 calories a day. 5-6 days a week with a minimum run of 10k. So don't tell me to diet. What do you do, bike to the store and back? (lol) Always someone here at mfp with a typical smart a** comment. I'm sure if all you did was weights and no cardio you could maintain your weight Mr triathlete? Everyone's metabolism is different. He obviously can and good for him but not all of us can. Your hilarious.[/quote]

I would starve to death doing all that running and cardio and only eating 1,700 calories per day, and I'm a 5'8" woman in my 40's.
  • sscarmack
    Options

Hey buddy I'm 5'11 and 165 pounds and running is how I keep my weight off eating 1700 calories a day. 5-6 days a week with a minimum run of 10k. So don't tell me to diet. What do you do, bike to the store and back? (lol) Always someone here at mfp with a typical smart a** comment. I'm sure if all you did was weights and no cardio you could maintain your weight Mr triathlete? Everyone's metabolism is different. He obviously can and good for him but not all of us can. Your hilarious.

I would starve to death doing all that running and cardio and only eating 1,700 calories per day, and I'm a 5'8" woman in my 40's.
    [/quote]

I honestly can't wait to start cutting again. I'm tired of eating 3k a day. Every 2 hours. :tired_face:

January can't come soon enough...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

yes.

and there's no metabolism in existence that ***can't*** maintain weight without doing cardio. that's just not how the human body works.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

yes.

and there's no metabolism in existence that ***can't*** maintain weight without doing cardio. that's just not how the human body works.

In order for some people to do no cardio and maintain, they would have to eat 1,200 calories a day, or even less. And let face it, for some, thats next to impossible. So thats why they do cardio so they can actually survive eating more.

I'll tell you right now, I could never live on 1,200 calories. If I absolutely had no choice in the matter, okay, its out of my hands. But seriously, I eat two large meals a day and they are both usually around 1k calories.

So yes you're right, everyone can maintain doing no cardio, but thats not realistic for every day life.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sscarmack wrote: »

I honestly can't wait to start cutting again. I'm tired of eating 3k a day. Every 2 hours. :tired_face:

January can't come soon enough...[/quote]

You're only eating 3K a day and "bulking"

HA HA HA HA HA
    you're cute.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

yes.

In order for some people to do no cardio and maintain, they would have to eat 1,200 calories a day, or even less. And let face it, for some, thats next to impossible. So thats why they do cardio so they can actually survive eating more.

I'll tell you right now, I could never live on 1,200 calories. If I absolutely had no choice in the matter, okay, its out of my hands. But seriously, I eat two large meals a day and they are both usually around 1k calories.

So yes you're right, everyone can maintain doing no cardio, but thats not realistic for every day life.

Why are you even using yourself as an example for maintenance at 1200 cals. You're a 26 year old male. Your "no exercise" maintenance is probably in the 2K range somewhere.

My 36 year old, 5'1" wife maintains at over 1200 cals, without exercise.
  • sscarmack
    edited October 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

January can't come soon enough...

You're only eating 3K a day and "bulking"

HA HA HA HA HA
    you're cute.

Why's that funny? My maintenance is around 2,000. So I'm consuming an extra 1,000 a day. That's hard.

And thanks, I take pride in my appearance :)