Replies

• sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    sscarmack wrote: »
    OP - could we see your diary?

It's open....I think

I'm not seeing an option to view it, but I'm on my work 'puter which is always stupid. I'll see if I can access it from home.

Ahhh, it was set just for friends...Should be good now :)

It's working now. Thanks! Are you weighing your portions?

I do not. I eye ball everything...Unless a recipe calls for a half of cup of this, or a cup of that.

Do you think I should start weighing everything?
  • sscarmack
    Options
    oilphins wrote: »
    Thanks so much scar, great tips and I will take everything into consideration.

You're welcome, if you have any other questions I'm more than happy to pass along my experience thus far.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It's open....I think

I'm not seeing an option to view it, but I'm on my work 'puter which is always stupid. I'll see if I can access it from home.

I do not. I eye ball everything...Unless a recipe calls for a half of cup of this, or a cup of that.

SMDH
    then how do you know you're actually eating 3K??
  • sscarmack
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I honestly can't wait to start cutting again. I'm tired of eating 3k a day. Every 2 hours. :tired_face:

January can't come soon enough...

You're only eating 3K a day and "bulking"

HA HA HA HA HA
    you're cute.

Why's that funny? My maintenance is around 2,000. So I'm consuming an extra 1,000 a day. That's hard.

And thanks, I take pride in my appearance :)

Because I'm a 5'8" female and MY bulking was around 3-3200.

Unless you're like 5'5" you maintaining around 2K is just- off.

5'6-5'7

Started out 135lbs graduating high school (08). Started fitness in 2013, gave up within 4 months, gained a little bit of weight, not much. But this past year I've really hit it hard and now I'm 170lbs. So something is working :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

It's open....I think

I believe you are attempting to bulk, and you're putting on weight at a pretty good rate. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep in mind that your numbers may be a little off; that doesn't matter if you're getting the results you want, but if you start gaining too fast, it may be something to be aware of.
  • sscarmack
    Options

It's open....I think

SMDH
    then how do you know you're actually eating 3K??

I don't.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

It's open....I think

I believe you are attempting to bulk, and you're putting on weight at a pretty good rate. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep in mind that your numbers may be a little off; that doesn't matter if you're getting the results you want, but if you start gaining too fast, it may be something to be aware of.

I couldn't agree more. I appreciate the insight. My "path", seems to be working for me. If you've seen my before and after I think most of everyone would agree.

It may not be the "right" way, but its working for me.
  • Steve_Paul
    Steve_Paul Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Steve_Paul wrote: »
    Looks like a pretty solid routine. Far too much volume for me though, 10 years ago maybe :smiley:

Your profile pic is impressive as all hell (if thats really you). Enjoy it while I can, right? :)

Thanks, yeah that's me in August. Defo enjoy it while you can before the niggles and aches set in :D
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    I got 2 words for ya: Diet.

Hey buddy I'm 5'11 and 165 pounds and running is how I keep my weight off eating 1700 calories a day. 5-6 days a week with a minimum run of 10k. So don't tell me to diet. What do you do, bike to the store and back? (lol) Always someone here at mfp with a typical smart a** comment. I'm sure if all you did was weights and no cardio you could maintain your weight Mr triathlete? Everyone's metabolism is different. He obviously can and good for him but not all of us can. Your hilarious.

yes.

and there's no metabolism in existence that ***can't*** maintain weight without doing cardio. that's just not how the human body works.

In order for some people to do no cardio and maintain, they would have to eat 1,200 calories a day, or even less. And let face it, for some, thats next to impossible. So thats why they do cardio so they can actually survive eating more.

I'll tell you right now, I could never live on 1,200 calories. If I absolutely had no choice in the matter, okay, its out of my hands. But seriously, I eat two large meals a day and they are both usually around 1k calories.

So yes you're right, everyone can maintain doing no cardio, but thats not realistic for every day life.

I don't under stand this. If someone wanted to maintain their weight while doing no exercise it's still very unlikely they would have to eat anywhere near 1200 calories a day. Only someone extremely small or elderly would have a TDEE near 1200. I'm 5'3",125 lbs, 41 years old and maintain on 1850 a day while lifting 4x a week. I rarely get to do any cardio and it's made no difference.
    I have very similar stats (5'4", 130#, 34 yo) and maintain at around 1900 lifting 4x a week and running 3 miles, 2x a week. I'd feel very confident in saying that the people who think they need to eat 1200 to maintain aren't accurately calculating their intake. It's been well documented that most people under-report their estimated intake by up to 60%, so when most people say they're eating 1200 calories, you can typically safely assume they may be eating up to 1900.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

It's open....I think

I think you're getting awesome results without weighing, so I don't necessarily think you need to weigh your food. That's your call.

Having said that, I think you're probably eating a lot more than you think. There's a video floating around MFP that shows how easy it is to misjudge food portions when you're not weighing it and how quickly those eyeball errors add up to large discrepancies in your logged food versus actual food intake.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Looks like a pretty solid routine. Far too much volume for me though, 10 years ago maybe :smiley:

Your profile pic is impressive as all hell (if thats really you). Enjoy it while I can, right? :)

Thanks, yeah that's me in August. Defo enjoy it while you can before the niggles and aches set in :D

Wow man, thats really impressive! Really great shoulders and nice chest separation! How long have you been working out?????
  • sscarmack
    Options

It's open....I think

I think you're getting awesome results without weighing, so I don't necessarily think you need to weigh your food. That's your call.

Having said that, I think you're probably eating a lot more than you think. There's a video floating around MFP that shows how easy it is to misjudge food portions when you're not weighing it and how quickly those eyeball errors add up to large discrepancies in your logged food versus actual food intake.

Hmmmm, you may be right. I'll have to look into that.

I bulk cook, I usually cook 10 breasts at a time, and usually 4 steaks for a week.

And then I just mix rice, and broccoli in the mix. Cook a bag (Usually feeds 4, I split it evenly into three meals and place everything in a tub container to heat up later)

Breakfast is usually eggs, whole wheat toast. Sometimes french toast, sometimes pancakes.

Snacks consist of bananas, protein bars, apples.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »

Hey buddy I'm 5'11 and 165 pounds and running is how I keep my weight off eating 1700 calories a day. 5-6 days a week with a minimum run of 10k. So don't tell me to diet. What do you do, bike to the store and back? (lol) Always someone here at mfp with a typical smart a** comment. I'm sure if all you did was weights and no cardio you could maintain your weight Mr triathlete? Everyone's metabolism is different. He obviously can and good for him but not all of us can. Your hilarious.

yes.

and there's no metabolism in existence that ***can't*** maintain weight without doing cardio. that's just not how the human body works.

In order for some people to do no cardio and maintain, they would have to eat 1,200 calories a day, or even less. And let face it, for some, thats next to impossible. So thats why they do cardio so they can actually survive eating more.

I'll tell you right now, I could never live on 1,200 calories. If I absolutely had no choice in the matter, okay, its out of my hands. But seriously, I eat two large meals a day and they are both usually around 1k calories.

So yes you're right, everyone can maintain doing no cardio, but thats not realistic for every day life.

I don't under stand this. If someone wanted to maintain their weight while doing no exercise it's still very unlikely they would have to eat anywhere near 1200 calories a day. Only someone extremely small or elderly would have a TDEE near 1200. I'm 5'3",125 lbs, 41 years old and maintain on 1850 a day while lifting 4x a week. I rarely get to do any cardio and it's made no difference.
    I have very similar stats (5'4", 130#, 34 yo) and maintain at around 1900 lifting 4x a week and running 3 miles, 2x a week. I'd feel very confident in saying that the people who think they need to eat 1200 to maintain aren't accurately calculating their intake. It's been well documented that most people under-report their estimated intake by up to 60%, so when most people say they're eating 1200 calories, you can typically safely assume they may be eating up to 1900.

Yeah that 1,200 was a bad example on my part, sorry :blush: haha

Thats what the last person said, he thinks I'm eating a lot more...I'm curious now how much I'm actually eating...hmmmmm. haha
  • Steve_Paul
    Steve_Paul Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Wow man, thats really impressive! Really great shoulders and nice chest separation! How long have you been working out?????

Cheers dude,

Looking ripped and in great condition yourself. I'd like your abs for sure.
    Ive been training on and off for years. Seriously & consistently or about three now.
    The most volume I can do is GVT on a four day split then I'm pretty much dragging myself around for weeks on end.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale and weigh as much as possible. It helps keep me on track and I've been getting good results from it. Your nutritional needs, based on what I'm reading, require a bit more precision whereas I'm just looking to keep to my basic goals. It couldn't hurt as an experiment.
  • sscarmack
    Options

Cheers dude,

Looking ripped and in great condition yourself. I'd like your abs for sure.
    Ive been training on and off for years. Seriously & consistently or about three now.
    The most volume I can do is GVT on a four day split then I'm pretty much dragging myself around for weeks on end.

I honestly can't wait for that three-four year mark when I start getting shredded haha. I'm just about to cross my first year mark and I'm hooked :)

The abs are genetic, they've always been there. I really didn't work for those honestly haha.

Hope one day I have a chest like yours!
  • sscarmack
    Options
    I use a digital scale and weigh as much as possible. It helps keep me on track and I've been getting good results from it. Your nutritional needs, based on what I'm reading, require a bit more precision whereas I'm just looking to keep to my basic goals. It couldn't hurt as an experiment.

You're absolutely right. All it can do is help me in the long run! I'll definitely look into that. (opens amazon to look for a scale haha)
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    AsISmile wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

yes.

Why are you even using yourself as an example for maintenance at 1200 cals. You're a 26 year old male. Your "no exercise" maintenance is probably in the 2K range somewhere.

My 36 year old, 5'1" wife maintains at over 1200 cals, without exercise.

You're right, mine is in the 2,000-2,200 range, maybe even 2,500. I don't have it down to an exact number yet as I just started really tracking what I eat about 2 months ago, all I know is 3,000 is bulking for me.

It is quite easy to calculate actually.
    1. How long have you been eating 3K
    2. How much weight have you gained?

3500 calorie surplus for a 1lbs gain.

September 1st is when I really started tracking everything.

September 1st - I weighed in at 165lbs, yesterday I weighed in at 170.8

That's a 5.8 lbs gain over 37 days, a bit more than 1 lbs a week.
    That is a 548.6 calorie surplus.
    So maintenance is about 2450 calories.

Thank you for figuring that out for me. I appreciate the help :)

Without weighing your food, I can't guarantee that 2450 is your maintenance. 548.6 is still your surplus.
    I hope you are aware that everything above 500 is considered a dirty bulk because it might lead to high fat gains.

Anyway, I agree, no point in weighing if what you do works. But at the same time, you are probably eating more than 3K calories.
    As a 5'10 146 lbs female I maintain at 2200..
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Thats a great video!

Ordered a scale last night, should have a better understanding soon :)