How I work out 7 days a week | Lifting Weights

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sscarmack wrote: »
    Thats a great video!

Ordered a scale last night, should have a better understanding soon :)

As a scientist, I always think that more data can lead to more accuracy and better results.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    sscarmack, you're a good sport for not getting offended for all the suggestions everyone is making. How many times these threads derailed into back and forth fist fights lol. Keep up the good work and you look great bro!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    biodigit wrote: »
    sscarmack, you're a good sport for not getting offended for all the suggestions everyone is making. How many times these threads derailed into back and forth fist fights lol. Keep up the good work and you look great bro!

Amen! I love a rational OP!
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Amen! I love a rational OP!

I appreciate that guys. I'm here to learn just as must as the next person, and hopefully pass along a little bit of knowledge that I've learned thus far.

But when it comes to nutrition, forget it. I'm like a caveman, eat big, get big haha.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Hey guys. Finally got around to recording myself. Decided to go for a new PR. 275 no struggle. 295 with a spot. Overall, I'm a little disappointed, but it's definitely progress.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V66zHQ0vNUs
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You d do better to take a couple rest days in thete. That's when you grow. ;)
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    You d do better to take a couple rest days in thete. That's when you grow. ;)

There's plenty of studies that have shown all you need is 48 hours of rest between work outs. So that's what I've been going off of and it seems to be working by the results I'm getting.

Now that's not saying, if I took 72 hours I may get better results, maybe I would? But everyone is different.

But I like the results I'm getting at a steady pace and I'm going to stick with it. But I appreciate the tip, I may have to refresh my knowledge when it comes to resting though.
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yo scar. Hey I try and lift weights at least 5 times a week and I get and feel so sore after each session that I only usually get to lift 3 times a week. How to you not get sore and able to lift everyday. Yes I warm up and stretch before hand.thanks
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of work, if you have the time and inclination, I suppose it's good! I'm on a three-per-week right now, I did a 5 x day a while back for about a month,,,,and from Jan to Apr of this year I was doing two-a-days everyday....cardio, weights, plyo, P90X,,,,all sorts of stuff,,,,,I think for me muscle confusion is what works me over pretty good, I just have to keep figuring out how to do that.

I go right after work and it only takes me about 30-45 minutes to get through a workout, however I'm usually there for at least an hour working on my Jaw muscles hahaha...So its not that bad really.

Cardio???? What is that :wink: hahaha...That's one thing I don't do.
    Really? Your Monday seems like it has almost 40 sets between chest and tri's. That's literally no rest. So maybe does take you an hour with little rest?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    curious what do you do for abs and how often
    Michael, I completely missed adding in my ab workouts. Good catch! Obviously I train abs :)

Three days a week. Usually M,W,F

Monday
    Decline leg lifts
    Hanging leg raise
    Laying knee tucks
    Everything I warm up with 10 reps. Take a 30 second break and aim for 20 reps. 30 sec break. 20 reps.
    3-5 sets

Wednesday
    Russian twist
    Windshield wipers
    Ab bicycles
    Same reps and sets

Friday
    Cable crunch
    Barbell decline crunch (usually the bar works fine)
    Weighted knee tuck (dumbbell between feet)
    I'll focus on heavier weights here, meaning lower reps. Same sets.
    Okay, you've confirmed that it's MORE than 30-45 minutes. 3 sets alone just with rest is 90 seconds. Times that by 3 that's 270 seconds or 4.5 minutes and then including your 40+ sets of chest and tri work. Not seeing this workout done in 45 minutes.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    oilphins wrote: »
    I got 2 words for ya: Diet.

Hey buddy I'm 5'11 and 165 pounds and running is how I keep my weight off eating 1700 calories a day. 5-6 days a week with a minimum run of 10k. So don't tell me to diet. What do you do, bike to the store and back? (lol) Always someone here at mfp with a typical smart a** comment. I'm sure if all you did was weights and no cardio you could maintain your weight Mr triathlete? Everyone's metabolism is different. He obviously can and good for him but not all of us can. Your hilarious.

yes.

and there's no metabolism in existence that ***can't*** maintain weight without doing cardio. that's just not how the human body works.

In order for some people to do no cardio and maintain, they would have to eat 1,200 calories a day, or even less. And let face it, for some, thats next to impossible. So thats why they do cardio so they can actually survive eating more.

I'll tell you right now, I could never live on 1,200 calories. If I absolutely had no choice in the matter, okay, its out of my hands. But seriously, I eat two large meals a day and they are both usually around 1k calories.

So yes you're right, everyone can maintain doing no cardio, but thats not realistic for every day life.

50 posts since I've been in here so I'm certain this has been covered but.....

Why would a grown man need to maintain on 1200 calories? I'm not sure why you used yourself as an example.

And why would a grown woman need to maintain on 1200? That's a cutting number for all but the smallest of small and most sedentary of the most sedentary women.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I dunno, maybe it would be more rational for the OP to not offer advice based on what he's doing until he actually knows what he's doing? He doesn't know his maintenance, doesn't know how much he's eating, and as Niner points out, he doesn't seem to know how much time his workouts take.

If what he's doing is working for him, God bless and full steam ahead. But don't write 3000 word diatribes for people to follow that are full of incorrect information
  • sscarmack
    Options
    jonnie256 wrote: »
    Yo scar. Hey I try and lift weights at least 5 times a week and I get and feel so sore after each session that I only usually get to lift 3 times a week. How to you not get sore and able to lift everyday. Yes I warm up and stretch before hand.thanks
    I think I've just built up a tolerance. Of course in the beginning I was only working out 3 times a week. And after a few months I'd go 4 or even 5. Now I'm at 7.

Recovery. Hmmmm. I honestly don't get that sore, I drink a crap load of alpha amino.

I use pre workout (C4)
    Alpha amino during.
    I take creatine.
    And of course I make sure to get an abundant amount of protein per day (150-160g) without a supplement.
    And I drink at least a gallon a day. If not more.

So my only advice is too start small and slowly build up your tolerance. Use supplements to get an edge. And stay hydrated.

Thats what I do and it works for me.

And like you said. Make sure you stretch and stay flexible.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    curious what do you do for abs and how often
    Michael, I completely missed adding in my ab workouts. Good catch! Obviously I train abs :)

Three days a week. Usually M,W,F

Monday
    Decline leg lifts
    Hanging leg raise
    Laying knee tucks
    Everything I warm up with 10 reps. Take a 30 second break and aim for 20 reps. 30 sec break. 20 reps.
    3-5 sets

Wednesday
    Russian twist
    Windshield wipers
    Ab bicycles
    Same reps and sets

Friday
    Cable crunch
    Barbell decline crunch (usually the bar works fine)
    Weighted knee tuck (dumbbell between feet)
    I'll focus on heavier weights here, meaning lower reps. Same sets.
    Okay, you've confirmed that it's MORE than 30-45 minutes. 3 sets alone just with rest is 90 seconds. Times that by 3 that's 270 seconds or 4.5 minutes and then including your 40+ sets of chest and tri work. Not seeing this workout done in 45 minutes.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Those workouts are just a rough idea of what I do. Not an exact copy of my schedule. And not an exact time frame. Again, it's just for reference to exercises I do and how many sets I try to do.

Obviously the more sets you add the longer it would take.

I try to keep my rests between 30-60 seconds.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I dunno, maybe it would be more rational for the OP to not offer advice based on what he's doing until he actually knows what he's doing? He doesn't know his maintenance, doesn't know how much he's eating, and as Niner points out, he doesn't seem to know how much time his workouts take.

If what he's doing is working for him, God bless and full steam ahead. But don't write 3000 word diatribes for people to follow that are full of incorrect information

I didn't come here claiming anything about nutrition. I came to share a typical workout schedule that someone asked me to share.

I will be the first to admit I have no idea what to do when it comes to nutrition other than eating a lot of chicken and rice.

My workouts take as much time as they need. Again, nothing is an exact science. I go until I'm done.

Sorry for not logging everything down to the split second.

What I'm doing works for me and I'm going to keep doing it. Even though I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Even though I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ding ding ding and we have a winner!

Whilst I admire your enthusiasm OP what you've basically done is extoll chronic over training whilst being under nourished. But hey what's a little adrenal fatigue between friends right? :/
  • HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Finally got around to recording myself. Decided to go for a new PR. 275 no struggle. 295 with a spot. Overall, I'm a little disappointed, but it's definitely progress.

I'm no expert but your bench form needs a bit of work
  • sscarmack
    Options
    And also. If you actually read my first post. I don't claim to be any kind of professional who knows everything, only sharing my person advice, which was requested by another member on this boards.

And also, I even said everything listed isn't an exact
    Even though I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ding ding ding and we have a winner!

Whilst I admire your enthusiasm OP what you've basically done is extoll chronic over training whilst being under nourished. But hey what's a little adrenal fatigue between friends right? :/

Hey, I'll take it. Progress is progress. And when I've put on 30lbs of mass on while staying completely lean, I'd say whatever I'm doing works. So unless you've packed on 40lbs while losing body fat, there's nothing you can say that's going to bring me down or knock my progress. Results don't lie. Have a good weekend.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    HugeBum wrote: »

Well according to some people on this forum, if you're not an expert you shouldn't be giving out advice lol.

While I disagree with that attitude towards people. I take everything everyone says and make my own decision based on the facts they provide.

My back is flat against the bench. Slightly rounded. My feet are planted. Shoulder width apart. While my hands are slightly past shoulder width. Elbows are locked on. The weight was controlled coming down. While the only thing I failed to do was touch my chest, as I got a little antsy as it was by far the heaviest I've ever done.

So in your non expert opinion. Whats wrong with my form??? That way I can try and correct it. And maybe my lifts will go up.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    HugeBum wrote: »

Well according to some people on this forum, if you're not an expert you shouldn't be giving out advice lol.

While I disagree with that attitude towards people. I take everything everyone says and make my own decision based on the facts they provide.

My back is flat against the bench. Slightly rounded. My feet are planted. Shoulder width apart. While my hands are slightly past shoulder width. Elbows are locked on. The weight was controlled coming down. While the only thing I failed to do was touch my chest, as I got a little antsy as it was by far the heaviest I've ever done.

So in your non expert opinion. Whats wrong with my form??? That way I can try and correct it. And maybe my lifts will go up.

If you want a bigger bench, learn to bench like a powerlifter. Right now, it seems like you are trying to move more weight with a more bodybuilding bench which is going to be a recipe for disaster for your shoulders. If you don't have access to a powerlifting coach, the "so you think you can bench" series on YouTube is a great resource.

Learn how to create a tight contraction in your mid upper back - rhomboids, lower traps, and upper lats. The single best accessory I've ever done for this is isometric inverted row holds. They suck at first, but are very effective at teaching you the correct tightness.

Widen out your grip on the bar - rough guide would be approx double shoulder width at the bottom of the movement, wrists stacked up on top of elbows. Play around a little bit until you find the grip that feels best and most natural to you.

Bench fundamentally is not a comfortable lift - if you are loose anywhere, you aren't going to have an effective lift. When I unrack, I'm tight everywhere and feel like a tightly strung now.

And finally, relax and don't fear the weight. You either have it or you don't, and if you don't fully trust your spotter, then start lifting in the power rack, with the safeties set properly.