• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    loiscoles wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Oh I meant targeting those areas for toning rather than weightloss, sorry!

Sorry, you can't spot reduce. As mentioned, a caloric deficit will result in fat loss. Fat loss will result in seeing any muscles, that may lie underneath.

You can muscle gain in certain areas

With the exception of newbie gains, you'll not be building muscle in a deficit. Again, as you lose fat, the muscle underneath will be revealed.

Yeah, that's what toning is right? Weight loss + muscle gain. So toning an area is losing weight everywhere but targeting an area for muscle giving it a 'toned' look...

Yes, you can target specific muscle groups that would like to train. You won't really build them while cutting though. Some sort of resistance training will help to preserve the muscle you have, so it can't hurt to start early. If you don't want to lift, then just start doing body weight exercises.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Sorry, you can't spot reduce. As mentioned, a caloric deficit will result in fat loss. Fat loss will result in seeing any muscles, that may lie underneath.

Sure, but if the muscles are covered by fat, it probably won't give you the look you desire. You would just have muscles under fat, not a "spot reduction."

I wasn't asking for a spot reduction, but spot areas to have a more 'toned' look

I'm not sure what the difference between "spot reduction" and wanting to have a "spot area" is. But either way, you can't target a specific area for fat loss.

I wasn't asking a target for fat loss? I literally never asked that and got told my 3 different people I can't. I'm asking for a certain area to have a toned look. Which is possible through weight loss allover and adequate muscle gain in that area. I don't understand what's not to get about that?

You will not gain muscle while you lose fat... you can maintain muscle while losing fat, or lose muscle while losing fat or gain muscle while gaining fat
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Sure, but if the muscles are covered by fat, it probably won't give you the look you desire. You would just have muscles under fat, not a "spot reduction."

I wasn't asking for a spot reduction, but spot areas to have a more 'toned' look

I'm not sure what the difference between "spot reduction" and wanting to have a "spot area" is. But either way, you can't target a specific area for fat loss.

I wasn't asking a target for fat loss? I literally never asked that and got told my 3 different people I can't. I'm asking for a certain area to have a toned look. Which is possible through weight loss allover and adequate muscle gain in that area. I don't understand what's not to get about that?[/quote]

If multiple people are giving you an answer that you don't think matches your question, it may be in how you're phrasing your questions. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to have a "spot area." Part of the problem is that "tone" is a pretty meaningless word. If you mean you want to have less body fat, then a calorie deficit and cardio should help you meet your goals. If you want to build certain muscles, then incorporate resistance training into your routine -- but it is usually not possible to build muscle while in a calorie deficit.
  • loiscoles
    loiscoles Posts: 39 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

If multiple people are giving you an answer that you don't think matches your question, it may be in how you're phrasing your questions. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to have a "spot area." Part of the problem is that "tone" is a pretty meaningless word. If you mean you want to have less body fat, then a calorie deficit and cardio should help you meet your goals. If you want to build certain muscles, then incorporate resistance training into your routine -- but it is usually not possible to build muscle while in a calorie deficit.

You can do squats and it targets legs and bum. crunches, leg raises etc target abs. That's all I meant...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You can do squats and it targets legs and bum. crunches, leg raises etc target abs. That's all I meant...

Those will target those muscles. It won't cause more fat loss to those areas, which is what I think you meant by "toning." If it wasn't, then I am unsure what "toning" or "spot area" means.
  • loiscoles
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

I wasn't asking a target for fat loss? I literally never asked that and got told my 3 different people I can't. I'm asking for a certain area to have a toned look. Which is possible through weight loss allover and adequate muscle gain in that area. I don't understand what's not to get about that?

You will not gain muscle while you lose fat... you can maintain muscle while losing fat, or lose muscle while losing fat or gain muscle while gaining fat

That's such a nitpicky answer, but thankyou for correcting me on it.
  • savannah523
    savannah523 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, Try Kayla itsines bbg guides. They're really effective high intensity interval training workouts that only take a half hour and everyone seems to get pretty significant results. kaylaitsines.com/guides
  • loiscoles
    Options

Those will target those muscles. It won't cause more fat loss to those areas, which is what I think you meant by "toning." If it wasn't, then I am unsure what "toning" or "spot area" means.

Like I said above, just gain or maintain muscle in those areas whilst I'm losing...
    My idea of toning has nothing to do with targeted weight loss, and I listened to what you said first about toning not exactly being a thing. Although I read from that that toning is a thing and it's just losing weight, and then training to have optimal muscle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's really easy to think I'm going to exercise this area because this is the area I want to improve my muscles in

However you're a newbie, I assume, and really it takes years to work up to the stage where your body fat % and musculature is at a point that will benefit from isolation exercises

The best thing you can do, in my opinion, is focus on compound lifts ...sure you want to do shed loads of squats cos well squats rock and throw in lunges whilst eating at a defecit ...because it's about getting your bf down...and whilst you eat in a defecit you are trying to preserve your musculature (you won't be gaining, beyond some minor newbie gains)

But if you think I'll do 100s of crunches and have fabulous abs... It doesn't work like that

As @usmcmp (who has amazing abs) says ": Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose belly fat or thigh fat or any other fat. It will come off where it wants to. Keep working at it! It is possible!"
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It's really easy to think I'm going to exercise this area because this is the area I want to improve my muscles in

However you're a newbie, I assume, and really it takes years to work up to the stage where your body fat % and musculature is at a point that will benefit from isolation exercises

The best thing you can do, in my opinion, is focus on compound lifts ...sure you want to do shed loads of squats cos well squats rock and throw in lunges whilst eating at a defecit ...because it's about getting your bf down...and whilst you eat in a defecit you are trying to preserve your musculature (you won't be gaining, beyond some minor newbie gains)

But if you think I'll do 100s of crunches and have fabulous abs... It doesn't work like that

As @usmcmp (who has amazing abs) says ": Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose belly fat or thigh fat or any other fat. It will come off where it wants to. Keep working at it! It is possible!"

giphy.gif
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Squats for toning the lower area and ab are great. A few years ago I did a class called "WillPower and Grace" (lots of squats, can look it up in youtube) once a week and I really slimmed down on all the lower areas in a few weeks. I fit into my clothes better and I looked better overall. Kickboxing was a good workout that helped me tone my whole body. Any combination of cardio and strength training will help you get toned. If you want more muscle definition in one area you will want to do certain strength training that targets that muscle group. Just do what keeps you motivated. As you see your body change it will motivate you to do other types of exercises that will target other muscle groups and get them burning.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

giphy.gif

The abs have landed :bigsmile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So- let's back up for a second.

I see the "tone" conversation- but let's back up and talk about- what are you training to?
    like do you want to ACCOMPLISH something (Squat 150 pounds- squat 250?)
    or
    Are you training because you want to LOOK visually like someone?
    OR
    Are you just trying to be healthier and generally more fit??

(There is no wrong answer here- wanting to look a certain way is not bad)

Because it seems a little vague about what your goal is -toning up your a** isn't particularly helpful. LOL SO just trying to get a little more of a clear picture about what you're after.
  • Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Weights. Weights. Weights.

Learn proper form. Try CrossFit for a few weeks (to learn). Stick with the basics. Don't be timid. Just do it. There is nothing that works as well at making you look good (well, body weight exercises awesome, too).
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Kennesaw24 wrote: »
    Weights. Weights. Weights.

Learn proper form. Try CrossFit for a few weeks (to learn). Stick with the basics. Don't be timid. Just do it. There is nothing that works as well at making you look good (well, body weight exercises awesome, too).

I don't know many CrossFit boxes that promote proper form.
  • loiscoles
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I see the "tone" conversation- but let's back up and talk about- what are you training to?
    or
    OR

Because it seems a little vague about what your goal is -toning up your a** isn't particularly helpful. LOL SO just trying to get a little more of a clear picture about what you're after.

There isn't an actual person I want to look like. It's a lot more to be generally healthier because I'm so unfit, but also to just have the 'toned' look. My legs hold more fat and muscle than the rest of my body. I don't want to change that, I'm just looking for results more around there than the rest of me. I'm not trying to target weight loss on specific areas, but I'm more bothered about the muscle there being different than it is on say my arms which despite a little fat, aren't too bad.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

or
    OR

There isn't an actual person I want to look like. It's a lot more to be generally healthier because I'm so unfit, but also to just have the 'toned' look. My legs hold more fat and muscle than the rest of my body. I don't want to change that, I'm just looking for results more around there than the rest of me. I'm not trying to target weight loss on specific areas, but I'm more bothered about the muscle there being different than it is on say my arms which despite a little fat, aren't too bad.

"Toned" is generally a word used to describe someone who has lower body fat and adequate muscle. If you are unhappy with your legs and you think they have too much fat then you'll need to keep losing fat. You want to do some form of resistance training while losing the fat to ensure that you keep the muscle you have. That helps your body get that "toned" look when you are done.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    My two cents is to keep a calorie deficit going, continue some cardio if you enjoy it, and look up the strong curves program, which sounds like it will help you with the strong/firm (aka toned) look you want.