What are your fitness goals?

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
What are your fitness goals?

I'll be bold. You're not going to achieve them if you don't agree with the majority of this:

http://www.bodyforwife.com/achieving-fitness-with-patience-planning-and-persistance/

(It's really really good and I really want you to read it.)

Kudos if you've been setting and achieving fitness goals consistently. Yay for achieving personal challenges!

What is your goal and how are you progressing?

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    At this point my goals are:
    - Beat my boyfriend at arm wrestling
    - Do proper pushups on my toes
    - Manage to do a pull up
    - Do a deadlift or squat with my bodyweight on the bar

I've just started, so don't really know how far I am.
    I already felt a difference in pushups on my knees, so feeling very hopeful for that one.
    The program I follow does work its way up from negative chin-ups to full chin-ups, so if I stick with it I will get that pull up.

The squat or deadlift will probably take a while, but I'm patient.
    The arm wrestling, no clue if it is realistic becuase I don't really have a way to measure the strenght difference... We'll see.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Back in June I made a goal to squat and deadlift my bodyweight in October.

Oh look its October! I'm actually right on the edge of achieving those goals. My theoretical 1RM for squat is above bodyweight, and my deadlift is on the edge. I just need to actually load the bar and lift it. My program cycle ends next week so I'll be testing those lifts the week after.

If I manage those lifts, it will be time to set new goals :)
  • Fideloose150
    Fideloose150 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    To put on socks and tie my sneakers without the need for that grunting sound. You know the one... Oh wait, I'm already way past that point :#

On a more serious note though, I want to be able to:
    - Walk at a brisk pace without looking like I just came out of a car wash
    - Tone my body. Especially arms and upper body.
    - Get stronger. Want to be able to do 50 push ups in one go. I started at being able to do 3 and can now do 20 of I exert myself.
    - Eventually once I lose another 25 or so pounds, I'd love to give running a try. Right now I can't jog for more than 30 or so seconds without needing to stop. Hmm, maybe intermittent running?
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    To put on socks and tie my sneakers without the need for that grunting sound. You know the one... Oh wait, I'm already way past that point :#

On a more serious note though, I want to be able to:
    - Walk at a brisk pace without looking like I just came out of a car wash
    - Tone my body. Especially arms and upper body.
    - Get stronger. Want to be able to do 50 push ups in one go. I started at being able to do 3 and can now do 20 of I exert myself.
    - Eventually once I lose another 25 or so pounds, I'd love to give running a try. Right now I can't jog for more than 30 or so seconds without needing to stop. Hmm, maybe intermittent running?

Start running now, never leave it till another day, jog for as long as you can and then walk till you get your breath back and then jog some more, rinse and repeat. Start out with maybe a 10 min walk/jog.
    Keep trying to add a few more steps or an extra second or two to your job portion.

Get out there and enjoy it!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,066 Member
    Options
    I have achieved a lot of fitness goals over the years, but more recently my fitness level had diminished a lot. I was still plugging away trying a bit of this and a bit of that. But since I joined here in February, and started to lose weight, my fitness level has been improving again. :)

I have exercised every day except 4 days since mid-Feb
    (4 days = 2 days with the flu, 1 day flying from Canada to Australia - I lost a day going over the International Date Line, and one other day where there was just minimal walking because I was in transit most of the day trying to get to my parent's 50th anniversary dinner)

I have walked over 800 km already this year, hoping to reach 1000 km before the end of the year.
    I have cycled a century (100 miles in one day) ... that was in June.

So the next two goals on my list are:
    • Cycle up Mt Wellington
    • Cycle a 200 km randonnee

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    As for the original post:

1. Get down to around 15% BF. I have set myself a 6 month target for this
    2. Increase my lifting every couple of weeks until I'm down to 15% BF.
    3. Get ready for my next ultramarathon - April 30 2016

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I want to dance like a professional ballerina.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    2015 goals:

Sustain 200 watt average for an hour on indoor bike. (Then extend duration.)
    Not quite there, hitting 220 for shorter durations but gym is too hot and after 40 minutes my heart rate is going through the roof and I've "boiled over". Cooling fan required. Not given up yet!

Cycle 20 miles in an hour outdoors.
    Close but not quite. Better route and I'll get there.

Complete 100km and 200km Audax cycling events (200km = 124 miles, a new PB).
    DONE

Bench press bodyweight x 1.5 (c. 112kg or 246lbs)
    Going to fail this one - car driver knocked me off my bike and injured both wrists. Five month rehab and only now back at 90kg, going to run out of time. Will roll forward to next year.

Do vertical pushups without looking stupid or breaking my neck.
    DONE (but not looking stupid is debatable).
  • Machka9
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    DONE

Which club do you ride with? Guessing by the use of the term Audax rather than Randonneuring, it's either Audax UK or Audax Australia?

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I didn't really read the link, but skimmed it and agree with (and do) most of it.

My goals have been (from the start)

Get to 175lb (14lb to go)
    Bench 1x my body weight (theoretically achieved if I lose a few lb or bench a few lb more)
    Squat 1.5x my body weight (theoretically achieved)
    Deadlift 2x my body weight (a long way to go)
    Do 20 pull-ups (will start a program soon)
    Run a 5k (will start C25k in the spring)

My longer term goal is to do a mud run next summer/fall. I'll also probably increase my strength goals once I hit them and stop eating at a deficit. Ultimately I wouldn't mind joining the 1000lb club.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    DONE

Which club do you ride with? Guessing by the use of the term Audax rather than Randonneuring, it's either Audax UK or Audax Australia?
    @Machka9

Audax UK.
    This was the London Ditchling Devil.
    http://www.cyclosport.org/event/07-Jun-2015/UK/the-london-ditchling-devil.html

Scenery was gorgeous. :)
    As was the 866g of carbs.....
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    DONE

@Machka9

Audax UK.
    This was the London Ditchling Devil.
    http://www.cyclosport.org/event/07-Jun-2015/UK/the-london-ditchling-devil.html

Scenery was gorgeous. :)
    As was the 866g of carbs.....

And no doubt hilly. :grin:

I ride with Audax Australia, but have cycled in the UK (not Audax events, just general cycling and touring).

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    1) Beat my old 5k PR (29:29)
    2) Do a pullup
    3) Do a handstand pushup
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    What are my fitness goals? To be fitter.

Let's face it. There are no goals, only interim steps/goals. Once you acheive one you just re-establish a new one. A had a goal to finish 4 miles in under 44 minutes (Four 11 minute miles). Did that, now on to 10:30 per. See no goals just steps.

Ultimate goal, however, at golf, shoot my age (on a full regulation 18 hole course). Do that and I can die happy.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    1) 100kg (220#) back squat - about 1.4 times bodyweight
    2) 120kg (265#) dead lift - about 1.6 times bodyweight
    3) 60kg (132#) bench press

This is a 280kg (617#) total in the -84kg class and a comfortable national qualifying score @ GBPF

I'm not a million miles off this. I haven't tested the back squat 1RM in a while but I think I can comfortably hit 90kg, maybe even 95kg. My deadlift has traditionally been my best lift and has gotten a little out of focus, it's still at 105kg but I am confident I can get 120kg with a few months work. Bench is the one needing significant improvement. I pushed 42.5kg but failed 45kg with my coach the other day.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Current goals -
    Bench 92.5kg/102.5kg/110kg (the next three goals)
    Rehab completely my lower body issues so I can get back to three lift.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Finishing this year up my strength goals were:

1ST HALF 2015 GOALS (June)
    #300 Bench: 06/24/2015
    #335 Squat: +25 lbs on 03/25/2015
    #435 DL: +5 lbs. on 03/28/2015

2ND HALF 2015 GOALS (Dec)
    #315 Bench:
    #400 Squat:
    #500 DL: + 5 lbs. 08/01/2015

I am hoping to complete the last two by December and barring injury should achieve them.
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    215lbs at 10% bodyfat...even if only for a day :smile:
  • ButBurgersAreDelicious
    Options
    My goal is pretty simple. "Come back tomorrow".
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This is great, lovely people!

I can't remember where I read it now (probably James Fell again), but it's supposed to be really good if you write your goals down.

For me, that means I get great pleasure in ticking them off as complete. :)