I just can't run... or can I?

Options

Replies

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 47 and started doing big walks now I do little runs! I can manage 4.46 miles . I know you can do this...just start slow and build it up. If you are outdoor running enjoy watching nature. ..life's great. ...Good Luck :smiley:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread. You guys are so inspiring.

I'm 48 and am up to Week 2 Day 2 of C25K and loving it. I'm doing my first parkrun tomorrow (I'll walk/run). I can't wait!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    A little over 2yrs ago I started C25K for the second time. I stuck with it and finished it. 12 months after I started I ran my first Half marathon, and probably close to 2yrs to the day that I started C25K, I ran a 12hr track race and covered a little over 53miles.(I don't actually recommend trying that sort of 'leap' thought) I wasn't a runner a school and I was definitely sedentary when I started the program.
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner. I did sports when I was in school, like badminton or table tennis but I hated the warm up runs and doing laps in gym class. When I began with C25K I thought I'd never be able to finish my first workout. Now I'm doing my first official 5k next Sunday. You can do it! Don't be afraid to repeat some days if you don't feel like you can get to the next step yet but also believe in yourself and push through it from time to time!
  • Orione2
    Orione2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was a runner then I go fat. Tried going back to running and did a few 5km parkrun. Then i decided that getting calf strain and bachache was too much of a drag. I bought a ike and am much happier cycling.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Firstly, every single person is a runner. It is part of our genes, just because we have access to cars etc doesn't stop us being runners.
    How often do you hear parents shouting to their kids "slow down!" When we were kids we did everything at break neck speed. You never walked when you could run.
    So it doesn't matter where you are now, you can start running. C25K are great programmes to follow. Even if you can't jog the starting numbers, just start. Get out and go for a jog, walk until you can breathe again and jog a bit more.
    Also try not to think of running as a means to an end, enjoy running for the sake of running, enjoy just getting out, find a nice scenic route to run, try and just forget all the general noise of life and enjoy a bit of quiet time.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    running is mainly mental, so you do need to start with the right attitude, otherwise your inner voice will always win over your body, that should be perfectly capable of running

if you do want to run, wear a running kit and trainers and run. doesn't matter if you run 100m, 1km, 10km, just do it

a plan can help you if you don't know what to do or if you need rules to motivate you

• Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Again, thank you so much everyone for all these fantastic replies!

Of course, now that I'm trying to commit to this, my workload has suddenly increased to a crazy level (I'm self-employed, so no "regular hours" for me; I work until my work is done), but I might still try tomorrow morning. No school kids on Saturday, maybe there'll be other people running, everyone should be more relaxed. I definitely won't even try to go fast, that's not what this is about. I just hope I don't give up and decide to walk home after 5 minutes ;) If I do feel like giving up, I just need to remember that when I started on the elliptical trainer I could barely go a minute, and now I go 30+ minutes without stopping.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I definitely won't even try to go fast, that's not what this is about. I just hope I don't give up and decide to walk home after 5 minutes ..."

Don't try to go fast. Go slow. Go almost painfully slow. You're just starting out. Plan your first attempts as a "down and back". Start in one direction and continue that way for half of your planed distance. If you then feel like "quitting" you'll have to walk back the other half. There, YOU STARTED.

Walk, jog, walk, relax. As you progress, you'll progress.

Enjoy the trip.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mangsney wrote: »
    I'm thinking of giving the C25K app a go to increase my fitness level. Right now I'm using an elliptical trainer, but I'm getting bored.

My only problem? I can't run :s

I'm 34, 158 lbs (5'6", large bum, thick thighs), I have a very sedentary lifestyle and I haven't run since I had to at school. And I hated it, because even as a skinny teenage girl I couldn't get the breathing right and would get painful stitches all the time. The last time I had to run (while on holiday, so I wouldn't miss a bus), my insides were on fire and I thought I was going to pass out (I did catch that bus, though! :# )

But anyway, let's not get distracted.

Does C25K really work when you have no previous running experience? Realistically? When you're like me...? I'd love to hear from people who were like me and have become decent runners.

Im 34, 5'6, and ran 5k yesterday morning. 3 months ago I couldnt run/jog 60 second intervals without dying.

Im male, but otherwise very comparible to you.

Sedentary job and lifestyle, and Ive always had no cardio endurance at all. Always hated running. Literally never been any good at it at all, nor had the desire to do it.

After losing weight I decided to get fit. Settled into Stronglifts very well and was very pleased with myself. Signed up for a Spartan Race and then realised I was "strong" and not "fit" so begrudgingly started C25k.

Still not wanting to, liking it, or anything. It was a necessity.

Was a little stop and start, but the bottom line is that tomorrow I will get up and run 5k, not because I have to (Spartan Race was weeks ago) but because I WANT to and because I CAN.

I still dont consider myself a runner, or "fit" but Im getting better and stronger and finding it very rewarding.

Actually, yesterday I put a Garmin GPS running watch on my Amazon wishlist in the hope Ill get it for Christmas, last Christmas the idea would have been hysterical!

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Does C25K really work when you have no previous running experience? Realistically? When you're like me...? I'd love to hear from people who were like me and have become decent runners.

You know that fat kid at school who always, always finishes last, wheezing and a hot, sweaty mess when running in P.E?

Yeah, that was me. It put me off running for decades.

I started the C25k running plan (well, I opted for the 10k version straight off because I am ever so slightly idiotic) this time last year. I am not sure what possessed me to do it. However, since that time I have run multiple 5 & 10ks, completed a full length duathlon and am now training for my first half marathon. I love running as much as my kids. Sometimes even more than my kids.

You can do it.

One bit of advice: in the walking sections walk briskly, in the running sections run slow.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Four years ago, at the tender age of 55, I set out to become a runner. I found a program that called for starting with intervals of walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes. Problem: I couldn't run 3 minutes. After 1 minute, I had to slow to a walk. So the program had to be adjusted to walk 1 minute, run 1 minute at first and it took me 3 or 4 weeks longer than designed to get to the point where the program said I was ready for a 5K. But I got there.

I did talk to my doctor. She said that just about anyone who doesn't have a medical condition preventing all running can work up to running a 5K. They may not run it fast, but they can run it.

So, the question is, do you want to become a runner? If so, how much time are you willing to devote to it? The program may say run 20 minutes, but you need to allow an hour for gear up, cool down, and shower. The program probably says run 3 days a week. Starting from not running at all, hold that at 3. Don't attempt 4 days a week until after you get to the end of your first 5K program.

And where can it lead? There are different ways to run. Some people love social runs. Some love races. Some like relatively short distances, like the 5K. Some find that half marathons are their favorite distance. Some find that running is a gateway to multi-sport events, duathlons and triathlons. Some love to run marathons. And some find that no matter how hard they try, running just isn't fun for them. But don't assume you're in that last group without giving it a fair shot.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i was never a runner. got winded to easily. i did the c25k, and then completed the b210k and now i'm working on a half marathon program. I'm not fast. I am steady.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "yesterday I put a Garmin GPS running watch on my Amazon wishlist "

I like my garmin watch very much. Keeps track of my distances, times, pace and, with the HR monitor, my heart rate.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Its just a basic one, but ticks all the boxes for me - lets hope someone gets it for me!
  • Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Again, thank you so much to every person who posted a comment, shared their story and encouraged me.

I did the first workout this morning. I didn't collapse, I didn't cheat, and best of all, I didn't completely hate it! :smiley:

I think there's hope, and you've all played a big part in getting this started.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Keep it up!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For the past few years I've helped coach a Learn to Run program (same idea as C25k). I've seen lots of people who weren't runners, of varying degrees of fitness and weight, successfully become runners. One of my last year's participants is lining up for his second marathon as we speak.

During our program, there is a local doctor/running enthusiast who comes in to give a talk. He always talks about the people who "can't" run or who "weren't made to run". He says if you are human, you were meant to run. It might be harder for some of us than others but we can still run (of course there are people with other reasons they can't run that are legit).

ETA -
    a huge part of runn\ing is mental. IF you think you can't, you can't.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Again, thank you so much to every person who posted a comment, shared their story and encouraged me.

I did the first workout this morning. I didn't collapse, I didn't cheat, and best of all, I didn't completely hate it! :smiley:

Way to go! Not cheating is good, and not doing more than the program calls for is good. Keep those two things rolling, and you can get to a 5K. And maybe "didn't completely hate it" will morph into "kind of liked it." You don't know till you get there.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Yay you! That's great!

I did my first parkrun yesterday (5 km community run) and it was awesome! Well, I only ran about half of it, but it's the farthest I've run in over 30 years, and I'm so happy with myself!

I'll be back to C25K tomorrow and looking forward to next Saturday and parkrun 2.

We can do this!