What is your go to supplements?

Options
aleeix
aleeix Posts: 13 Member
I am looking for some really great supplements to help me lose about 30 pounds! What do you take to help aid your weight loss journey?

Replies

• aleeix
    Options
    aleeix wrote: »
    I am looking for some really great supplements to help me lose about 30 pounds! What do you take to help aid your weight loss journey?
    I'd like to note that I am eating healthy and working out in addition!
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek good link! I still take a bunch of crap, it makes me feel better about myself; same with drinking!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    No supplements are needed to help you lose weight. All you need is to eat in a calorie deficit. Invest in a food scale if you do not have one already. Try to eat nutrient dense foods to help you hit your macro and micro needs. The only thing I will take is protein powder if I am having a hard time hitting my protein macro.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    The only reason to take a supplement is for a nutritional deficiency. Nothing helps you loose weight faster.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I take Less Calories Than I'm Expending. A caloric deficit is the only "supplement" that will do you any good. The rest of the snake oil junk the diet industry peddles will only make your wallet lighter, not your body.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I take supplements to make up for deficiencies. I take a multivitamin for the heck of it.

Weight loss drugs that work are always pulled from the market because they're dangerous. The rest don't help with weight loss.

Don't take supplements unless your doctor tells you that you need them, which you will find out at your next physical.
  • aleeix
    Options
    There are natural vitamins and supplements out there that help out in the gym and with your appetite and metabolism (ie helping with your weight loss). I am not looking for a "diet pill" I am looking for substances such as cayenne pepper, omega 3's, Apple cider vinegar, chia seeds, coenzyme 10. Stuff like that. And if you don't believe that some of that stuff helps, then please don't respond to my thread. I am not asking for advice on whether or not to take them, I am asking those people who do - what they take.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    There are natural vitamins and supplements out there that help out in the gym and with your appetite and metabolism (ie helping with your weight loss). I am not looking for a "diet pill" I am looking for substances such as cayenne pepper, omega 3's, Apple cider vinegar, chia seeds, coenzyme 10. Stuff like that. And if you don't believe that some of that stuff helps, then please don't respond to my thread. I am not asking for advice on whether or not to take them, I am asking those people who do - what they take.
    We're responding so you don't either hurt yourself physically or financially. They don't work unless you are taking one for a diagnosed deficiency.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

You're not going to find a lot people like that, unless they are trying to sell you their product.

But, hey, if you want to throw your money away on a product that has no weight loss benefit, feel free. I'm sure it'll be easy to find someone who wants your money. Pick one, any one.

On the other hand, there are many people on here who have lost large amounts of weight who will tell you what worked for them - accurately logging food to keep themselves at a calorie deficit, and exercise for fitness and health.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I take a multiple vitamin with iron and fish oil capsules, just because, and I like to eat sour kraut and apple cider vinegar on my salads cause it tastes good; and I lift weights which helps with my arthritis but I also take glucosamine and turmeric. I have read the research -- not sure it helps but it doesn't hurt. When I run, if my knee with arthritis hurts I rub arnica gel on it and the research shows this helps w/ inflammation and I believe this is true. I also used to take a baby aspirin which research shows helps generally w/ inflammation, but I can't take any more because of some stomach issues caused by taking ibuprofen (advil) too regularly. I also use a moderate amount of coffee, which peps me up a little bit, and is also a hunger suppressant for me, and I think this helps (and the epidemiological research shows that it may help and certainly doesn't hurt).

But I stay away from all the unproven (and potentially dangerous) herbal supplements, etc.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So in other words, you're convinced that the "magic pill" exists, don't want to hear from anybody who tells you otherwise, and just need to know which magic potion will melt those 30 pounds away? That frames the question up much better for anybody else who may try to answer you.

Hint: Calorie. Deficit.
  • cmtigger
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I take a multiple vitamin with iron and fish oil capsules, just because, and I like to eat sour kraut and apple cider vinegar on my salads cause it tastes good; and I lift weights which helps with my arthritis but I also take glucosamine and turmeric. I have read the research -- not sure it helps but it doesn't hurt. When I run, if my knee with arthritis hurts I rub arnica gel on it and the research shows this helps w/ inflammation and I believe this is true. I also used to take a baby aspirin which research shows helps generally w/ inflammation, but I can't take any more because of some stomach issues caused by taking ibuprofen (advil) too regularly. I also use a moderate amount of coffee, which peps me up a little bit, and is also a hunger suppressant for me, and I think this helps (and the epidemiological research shows that it may help and certainly doesn't hurt).

But I stay away from all the unproven (and potentially dangerous) herbal supplements, etc.

Arnica, isn't that homeopathic? Based on the idea that like cures like and water retains the memory of something after it's been diluted thousands of times? In other words, a placebo. https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/reference/homeopathy/
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Lots of naysayers here! :open_mouth: I like supplements, they have worked for me in the past but like someone already mentioned that the good ones are taken off the shelves. That doesn't mean that all good ones are gone you just have to find the one that works for you. The one that really worked for me was Oxy Eliete pro (the fourth version) the new version did not do a thing to me. I think you can still find the fourth version but it is expensive last time i checked. Right now I am using hydroxycut hardcore. Its not bad, nothing like the oxy eliete V4 though. I did some testing and with out the hydroxycut my heart rate is about 140-155 when i work out on eliptical and with the hydroxy it is anywhere from 175-190. It curbs the appetite pretty well, gives decent energy but still not experiencing the weight loss like i did with the oxy ha.

I also take multi vitamins, vitamin c and fiber daily.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'd say the naysayers are probably more likely to maintain their loss and reach their goals because they didn't look for the easy way out by cheating themselves of learning how to curb their own appetite naturally and realized that irregardless of what products claim, weight loss is calories in vs out
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In spite of all the hoopla, there are a few things that are not stimulants that CAN help, if used in conjuction with proper diet and exercise.

Forskolin
    L-Carnitine (which lacks conclusive evidence, but anecdotally works great)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    At my age Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 are my number one concerns to gain total health by preventing weak bones and heart disease plus many other health problems related to diet.

I did add Krill Oil a few weeks away so the jury is still out on that one. Some consider it a weight loss tool.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Cheese.