Does the diet coke really has 0 calories?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    get a subscription to a something like Prevention Magazine or Consumer Reports Health
    they will point out the studies that people that drink diet drinks tend to be more overweight.
    could be gut bacteria imbalance, or cravings for sweetness.

Or overweight people trying to lose weight...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's not about arguing. It's about spreading information that is valid and stopping the spreading of misinformation. If you're going to say "there are studies" or "I've heard of studies" you need to provide people with them so they can make informed opinions, not base it off "what I believe". Someone can say they believe in unicorn kitties, but that doesn't mean they're real...

Why is my "belief" the only one that requires a study? Another post on MFP is not a peer-reviewed study.

My experience is since january:
    -Cut sugar out of coffee
    -Cut soda almost down to none
    -Changed almost nothing else (maybe more exercise, and supplements), i even still have late night snacks like ice cream/cereal/oreos.
    -Lost 30 pound since january

I'm beginning to wonder if i can find a study that links eating oreos with weight loss.

Because you stated: "I've read studies", thus, one then should provide the source.
    Your "belief" has nothing to do with this.
    You lost weight, because you were in a caloric deficit. Whether it came from you dropping the coke, or eating less during the day, is irrelevant, as it still resulted in a deficit.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke. But some people like to avoid. For me it doesn't make me want to eat sugar.
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    OP, aspartame is controversial at best. Cancer causing/non-cancer causing... there are studies to support any argument. I was able to remove them from my diet and felt the difference. Good luck to you which ever way you go.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    meulf6f wrote: »
    OP, aspartame is controversial at best. Cancer causing/non-cancer causing... there are studies to support any argument. I was able to remove them from my diet and felt the difference. Good luck to you which ever way you go.

You can't win robertwilkens. Remember, CICO is all that matters to the master debators on MFP. They aren't satisfied until you convert to their version of reality.

Stick around kid, we will win you over yet!!
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Because you stated: "I've read studies", thus, one then should provide the source.

So if I went out and said 1+1 = 2 would you ask me to find my first grade textbook and find the page in the book that proves that statement is true?

I hope not.

My point, i read a lot (but remember just a little) of stuff, among my sources are a NYTimes digital subscription (includes health section) and a NextIssue/Texture subscription (which includes like 50 magazines digitally, including Prevention, Men's Health, Men's Fitness, etc.) and through these sources i skim a bunch of information, and only occasionally do those articles actually link to the original study, but I have come to trust some of these sources to my satisfaction, whether or not anyone else does. I rarely remember where i read something.

-
    rob
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So if I went out and said 1+1 = 2 would you ask me to find my first grade textbook and find the page in the book that proves that statement is true?

I hope not.

My point, i read a lot (but remember just a little) of stuff, among my sources are a NYTimes digital subscription (includes health section) and a NextIssue/Texture subscription (which includes like 50 magazines digitally, including Prevention, Men's Health, Men's Fitness, etc.) and through these sources i skim a bunch of information, and only occasionally do those articles actually link to the original study, but I have come to trust some of these sources to my satisfaction, whether or not anyone else does. I rarely remember where i read something.

-
    rob

You didn't say, "I read some where", you said, "I've read studies". Peer reviewed studies are accurate sources of information that most are interested in reading, as opposed to some moron trying to get published in a magazine.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I hope not.

-
    rob
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You can't win robertwilkens. Remember, CICO is all that matters to the master debators on MFP. They aren't satisfied until you convert to their version of reality.

If you'd spend even a few minutes looking at "cancer causing" studies you'd see why they're completely useless. Not only were the rats extremely suspectible to cancer to begin with (the control group that got no aspartame has a 40+ % rate of cancer growth for Christ' sake), they were fed ridiculous amounts over their whole lifetime from an age of 12 weeks on. And even then there was barely any higher rate of cancer at all and the group that had a little bit of aspartame instead of none at all got LESS cancer than the one gettting none.
    So yeah, there are studies to support any argument, if you're not reading more than the first line of them.
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Soda seems to be one of those foods that effect everyone differently. For me if i drink diet soda i gain weight while others swear they loose weight. You will have to experiment and see how your body reacts to it
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    According to this app and many other sources, the coke diet has 0 calories. But some doctor told me that actually it has some calories and unhealthy sugar. Does anybody know anything about that?

It does not have any sugar, unhealthy or otherwise.

It has a few calories- 1 or 2 per can.
    Not strictly zero but close enough in practical terms.

• meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sorry to ruffle feathers. I have neither the desire nor the patience to argue a bullet point.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    So people are usually floored by this, but I can easily (and usually do) drink almost 2 liters a day of Diet Coke. I have for years. I have successfully lost close to 25 of my 40lbs I need to lose, all while drinking that much soda. The worst I have ever heard, aside from all the aspartame stuff, is that it may lead to more kidney stones. I've been drinking it for about 20 years, and have never had any problems. So not sure about that one. As far as craving sugar, I actually dislike and do not eat overly sugary food. So my personal experience doesn't align with the supposed studies. Obviously that doesn't mean that that they are false, but I think those aspects are more of a personal characteristic.

Bottom line is, if it had more than a couple of calories, I'd be in trouble. Haha. I think Diet sodas will always be controversial because honestly.. a lot of even your peer reviewed studies have the possibility of being funded by corporations that benefit from one side or the other (Coke already got in trouble for this one last year). So the key here is everything in moderation (aka, not my 2 liters a day ahah).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is controversial like whether the moon landings happened is controversial. Or like whether ancient aliens gave us technology to build the pyramids is controversial.

Uninformed people citing non-scientific feelings and distorting or ignoring the facts doesn't make it a controversy. It just makes it sad.
  • paperpudding
    Options

The scientific version of reality, yes.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Meulf6f, you have now had time to make 2 posts since saying you had neither desire nor patience to argue the point.

Either defend your point or don't - but don't say you dont have desire or patience to continue - and then continue anyway, without actually contributing anything.

That's called flouncing.
  • lauraloy2013
    lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I have lost all my weight and am in maintenance mode all the while drinking diet soda. I do no crave sweets at all nor eat more calories because of diet soda.

Me too!!