Such an unhealthy day for me :(

Options
Today my baby cousin had a birthday party, so I skipped gym and came here. I ate chocolate cake, pastries, rice fillings etc, more than 2000 calories. My stomach is about to explode, but I just couldn't stop myself. I regret it so much. I took so many unnecessary and unhealthy calories, and I didn't burn them with exercise.

How can I make up for today? I plan on having 700 net calories tomorrow to balance it. It is riddiculus that I gained 2 kg the last 3-4 days instead of losing weight.

Replies

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hon, I'm going to say this straight -- cutting calories too low means that's bound to happen. Going to a really low day after isn't going to help, it will just keep the pendulum swinging.
    Eat a healthy dinner, just start again tomorrow, but seriously, please rethink the deep calorie cut. Not just tomorrow but going forward.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Today is done. Tomorrow you start where you left. No big deals, really. Don't restrict yourself, maybe take 100/200 calories off your total, for a few days. But if you don't it's not a disaster, don't worry.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I agree with the above posters that you should not beat yourself up. It's one day. You are doing fine overall, right? :)

If you must, compensate for today to satisfy your own feelings try making a small change for a few days.

Like stated above, just take 100 or 200 calories off oz your days for a week or so. So if you normally eat 1600 calories eat say 1500.

Or if you don't like that idea, how about add 15-30 mins/day to you cardio for a week.

Or you can just stick to your normal routine going forward and the extra calories from today will not have a big impact on your weight loss.

All your hard work is not lost from one unplanned, excesive day. Just stay in the fight. You can do this!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It is riddiculus that I gained 2 kg the last 3-4 days instead of losing weight.

You certainly didn't gain 2 kg of fat, though, not unless that "over 2000" was "over 15,400".

All you did was refeed a bit, you replenished the glycogen in your muscles and liver which was partially depleted before, and you retained water to balance the new molecules of glycogen.

Don't beat yourself up, that's the least healthy thing of all to do, and don't worry about trying to severely restrict yourself tomorrow. Just stick to your normal goal tomorrow. You don't gain weight or lose weight in a day, it's the long term that matters.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Log it and move on

This
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would also just log it and move back to eating a normal amount and exercising a normal amount.
  • BackupFridge
    BackupFridge Posts: 105 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Wear trash bags and a black hoodie along with a weighted vest (or backpack if you don't have one) and go run for 2 hours tomorrow. Rinse and repeat daily till the guilt dissipates. :)

Next time there's an event, drink a lot of water and have things with not many calories but a lot of caloric density before attending so you feel full quicker, such that any possible over-indulgence narrows.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    From the general tone of multiple posts you've made, you may not have the best possible relationship with food. It might be worth it to avail yourself of any counseling your school might have available.
  • Sued0nim
    edited October 2015
    Options
    From the general tone of multiple posts you've made, you may not have the best possible relationship with food. It might be worth it to avail yourself of any counseling your school might have available.

I agree with this

You need support of trained medical experts and probably your parents before this gets out of control

Just leaving this here http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Wear trash bags and a black hoodie along with a weighted vest (or backpack if you don't have one) and go run for 2 hours tomorrow. Rinse and repeat daily till the guilt dissipates. :)

Next time there's an event, drink a lot of water and have things with not many calories but a lot of caloric density before attending so you feel full quicker, such that any possible over-indulgence narrows.

Why would sweating and excessive exercise help anyone who has over consumed. That's borderline disordered advice.
  • BackupFridge
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Why would sweating and excessive exercise help anyone who has over consumed. That's borderline disordered advice.

Is it untoward to offer a way of burning calories to someone lamenting the fact that they've consumed too many of them?

If one wants to embrace a long-term approach to it, cool. If they want to play hard and keep themselves accountable the day after, there's a way to do that too.

Sweating/exercise is discouraged on a fitness forum?
  • michelle7673
    Options

Is it untoward to offer a way of burning calories to someone lamenting the fact that they've consumed too many of them?

If one wants to embrace a long-term approach to it, cool. If they want to play hard and keep themselves accountable the day after, there's a way to do that too.

Sweating/exercise is discouraged on a fitness forum?

Exercise is not discouraged. Excessive dehydration (or excessive exercise for that matter) as a way of expiating guilt is, though.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Was baby cousin cute? How old?
  • michelle7673
    Options
    and yes.... OP has posted in other threads that she is riding a low calorie net as it is, as well as setting a very aggressive weight loss rate target, and the binging is very likely a reaction to getting to the breaking point. WingardiumLeviosa, there are people here who have been through the kinds of things you're struggling with -- please let them help :)
  • PieAndLattes
    PieAndLattes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    We had a celebration in our life today as well. I certainly celebrated and ate far more (>400 calories) than my daily calories at lunch alone. Now, I'm still not hungry for dinner, but when I am, I'll probably have something light, like salad or soup and then get back on track tomorrow.

I might, as others have suggested, eat a few less calories (~1-200) for the next few days. And, I'm hoping for the chance to go on a nice, long bike ride this weekend, but otherwise, today was a good day, the food was delicious and the celebration was worth it.

At the end of the day, it's important to remember that one day will not make or break you. And, I'm not familiar with your other posts, but others seem to think that beating yourself up over little things is common for you and, I have to agree that it can't ever hurt to find someone to talk to if you're feeling truly overwhelmed and defeated. You need to take care of yourself.
  • BackupFridge
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Exercise is not discouraged. Excessive dehydration (or excessive exercise for that matter)

1. I don't know where I ever suggested dehydration.
    2. What defines the parameters for excessive exercise? It's about individual thresholds. If someone wants to turn up the intensity, so what?
    as a way of expiating guilt is
    and yes.... OP has posted in other threads that she is riding a low calorie net as it is, as well as setting a very aggressive weight loss rate target, and the binging is very likely a reaction to getting to the breaking point. WingardiumLeviosa, there are people here who have been through the kinds of things you're struggling with -- please let them help :)

3. Oh, fair enough. I've had no exposure to her previous threads. If they are as you say, I wouldn't have remarked on dissipating the guilt in that way. It was meant to be light/fun. Believe me - I'm not advocating for someone to have an emotional cloud hanging over them till the next day.

The meat of my post was just offering a way to keep oneself accountable in the short-term if they so wish to. Ultimately, I recognize that whatever option is best in sync with a healthy mindset is the better one. For me personally, I would have fun the next day doing a ton of cardio (as someone who loves doing it for its own sake), so it was natural for me to impart that, but I get what you're saying. All good.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    +1 on the logging it and moving on with NO guilt.....and I would be drinking extra to help with the extra sodium you no doubt ingested.

However, I note that you have other postings that have raised alarm bells in other and while I have not seen them myself I will add another +1 in getting help if you are struggling with disordered feelings and behaviours around food.

Life ie. special events such a parties etc re always going to happen so the wisest thing is to prepare for the event in a healthy sustainable way.....some suggest eating maybe 100 calories less in the days before so you give yourself a bigger margin or by lowering by 100 for the next few days after. No need to cut drastically.

I wish you the best.
  • michelle7673
    Options
    Exercise is not discouraged. Excessive dehydration (or excessive exercise for that matter)

1. I don't know where I ever suggested dehydration.
    2. What defines the parameters for excessive exercise? It's about individual thresholds. If someone wants to turn up the intensity, so what?
    as a way of expiating guilt is

3. Oh, fair enough. I've had no exposure to her previous threads. If they are as you say, I wouldn't have remarked on dissipating the guilt in that way. It was meant to be light/fun. Believe me - I'm not advocating for someone to have an emotional cloud hanging over them till the next day.

The meat of my post was just offering a way to keep oneself accountable in the short-term if they so wish to. Ultimately, I recognize that whatever option is best in sync with a healthy mindset is the better one. For me personally, I would have fun the next day doing a ton of cardio (as someone who loves doing it for its own sake), so it was natural for me to impart that, but I get what you're saying. All good.

All good, all good. Look, I was a competitive rower so I did the garbage bag thing; I'm not preaching.
  • sinbad714
    sinbad714 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Worst worst worst thing you can do is beat yourself up. As stated you recognized what you did now log it and move on.