Non Diabectic taking Metformin

Options
Hello, im curious to know if anyone that isnt diabetic or has PCOS taking Metformin as a form to loose weight or gain muscle mass. I only ask since i am pre diabetes and cholesterol is on the higher side of normal my doctor told me to start 500mg qd of Metformin. I read that alot of people take it for weight loss and wanted to hear the stories on it.

Replies

• dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    oh i have toned it down alot here and there i eat dumb snacks or sweets, but i would like to know from someone that takes it purely for weight loss.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Nope, I take it for BG problems, but I do want to say that pre-diabetes is something that definitely needs to be addressed. Now I have to take Metformin instead of it being optional, and I used to just be pre-diabetic :(

The side effects at first are truly awful. But yeah, I lost more weight out of the blue just from being on it. That effect stopped after about two or three months, though ;) Now I take it and dropping weight feels the same as before.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone doing that. I'm skeptical that it would be much help. I take it for diabetes, but never lost weight until I joined MFP.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    its not helping me lose weight, eating less and exercise will.
  • JFoo43
    JFoo43 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My father and boyfriend both have diabetes and must take metformin. The problem with the drug is that eventually you have to keep upping the dosage because it loses effectiveness. Eventually many diabetics then have to take something else or require insulin. If you take it when you don't need it, what happens if you really need it one day? I'd just research the dietary recommendations for a person with diabetes. You'll be healthier without the drugs.
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I take it for my high triglycerides (600+). The reason it helps people who are insulin resistant is because it helps our bodies actually use the insulin rather than forcing it to produce more. This might seem to others that is is a weight loss medication because now the person is losing weight when before they didn't. BUT the medication actually makes people who are insulin resistant able to lose weight at a 'normal' rate as someone who isn't insulin resistant. Someone who has PCOS has an extremely hard time losing weight (it can be done tho without metformin, for those who have). But it is a tool not a solution. Metformin helps people who need it, if someone isnt insulin resistance it wont make a difference. But if someone wants to take it and deal with the side effects more power to them, personally if I didn't have to take it I wouldn't.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I haven't, nor do I know anyone who has, but I did overhear a pharmacist tell a patient that it wasn't a good idea, even after her doctor prescribed it when there was no medical necessity for it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm prediabetic too. I found it is possible to control my BG using diet, and that exercise also helps. I personally want to avoid most drugs if possible.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i saw your food log
    just stop eating the carbage (junk carb foods)
    then consider supplements
    no more poptarts, cheetos, doritos, cheesecake, donuts for a while
    focus on protein, fiber, and complex carbs - real foods
    that medicine can have side effects you simply do not want in your life

more answer: side effects, please read them all
    some include difficulty breathing, vomiting, etc
    do you want to take the medicine for the rest of your life? or do you want to learn to eat real foods you cook yourself? not that hard to learn - you can do it !!!

NO
    OP, it's irrelevant what you eat, it's how much you eat.

Why would you need a medication for weight loss? Eat at a deficit and you'll lose.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    i saw your food log

do you want to take the medicine for the rest of your life? or do you want to learn to eat real foods you cook yourself? not that hard to learn - you can do it !!!

NO
    OP, it's irrelevant what you it, it's how much you eat.

Why would you need a medication for weight loss? Eat at a deficit and you'll lose.

I disagree. The food chosen by someone who has insulin resistance is a very relevant factor. Yeas he could eat anything at a deficit in order to lose weight but it could hurt his health.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    i saw your food log

NO

I disagree. The food chosen by someone who has insulin resistance is a very relevant factor. Yeas he could eat anything at a deficit in order to lose weight but it could hurt his health.

He doesn't have insulin resistance. It says PRE.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    i saw your food log

NO

That's pretty much the same thing. It's just that the insulin resistance is not as great yet.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    i saw your food log

NO

That's pretty much the same thing. It's just that the insulin resistance is not as great yet.

He specifically stated:
    but i would like to know from someone that takes it purely for weight loss.

• nvmomketo
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i saw your food log

NO

He specifically stated:
    but i would like to know from someone that takes it purely for weight loss.

I realize that. I was just pointing out prediabetics (those with insulin resistance) would benefit from choosing his foods with care so as to not negatively affect his BG. When you said, "OP, it's irrelevant what you it, it's how much you eat," I disagreed with the wisdom of that statement for a prediabetic. That's where I was coming from.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I agree. The pre-diabetic numbers mean that he should watch sweets and other simple carbs for his health. Many people really do need to watch that, weight loss or no.

OP, your doctor probably prescribed it for pre-diabetes, I'd think. That's common. The idea is that the insulin system won't wear out as quickly and turn into full diabetes. If you can't get your numbers down by basically acting like a diabetic, medication is the other option. It's kind of a good thing that you know you eat too many simple carbs! That makes it easy to figure out what to do next ;) I have an insane sweet tooth, so my net carbs were terrible, too :) .
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Dx: Pre-diabetes in June. Started Metformin 500mg twice daily. Was already on Chromium twice daily. Have PCOS, WAY over-weight (180+ lbs over) but no high cholesterol, high BP or other issues. In the past I had been on Metformin and had terrible nausea, abd cramps and constant diarrhea, so I was expecting the worst when I restarted it. I had about a week of diarrhea, and only if I ate a high carb/sweets/junky meal. I haven't had any issues since and it's been 2 months. A lot of people say the extended release tablet has less side effects, so if need be you can ask your doctor about that.

I think it helps some with feeling full, as I used to be constantly hungry regardless of how much, what or when I had eaten last. No "off" switch. More likely though, it's related to the fact that I've boosted my protein intake and eat more filling and nutritious food vs junk. Not to say I don't still have junk, and too much really, I can be honest. I do keep within my calorie limits though. I am curious to see what my HgbA1c is when they re-check it in November as I started at 6.1 in June.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hello, im curious to know if anyone that isnt diabetic or has PCOS taking Metformin as a form to loose weight or gain muscle mass. I only ask since i am pre diabetes and cholesterol is on the higher side of normal my doctor told me to start 500mg qd of Metformin. I read that alot of people take it for weight loss and wanted to hear the stories on it.

I'm confused, I read a post of yours that said you recommend things to "Patients" in the Vit D deficiency thread, I took that to mean you were a Dr or pharmacist or the like.
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was on Metformin 10 years ago before they twigged I was actually Type 1 diabetic (oh, the annoying assumptions GPs make when you're fat, has the potential for so much damage). Horrible medication, the diarrhea was epic. Anyway, from what I remember, Metformin helps weight loss in pre/T2 diabetics by reducing the appetite as less insulin is being produced because you're using what's already being produced more effectively. Insulin makes your brain trigger hunger responses, so the more you have to produce, the hungrier you get, the more you eat, and so your body manufactures and stores more fat. This is why when diabetics start insulin, we're warned about weight gain because it's easy to eat more when you're hungry and gain that weight without realising.

So yes, you can lose weight on Metformin, but only if you're eating healthily and aiming to lose weight anyway. If you snack based on hunger pangs, that will probably reduce, but just taking it by itself isn't going to do a single thing if you're going to still snack as you normally would anyway. It's not a magic weight loss pill, it's just going to (in theory) make you less hungry. And possibly turn your guts inside out.
  • dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late response. The doctor I work with is T2 and takes metformin. He advised to take metformin 500mg bid purely if I was thinking of weight lost. He also happens to be my PCP, and was I believe a 5.9 on my A1c. For us that's in the pre diabetic range but nothing a good diet and exercise can't resolve and recheck in 3 months. Now I told him that I have a fatty liver. (Previous PCP US of the abdomen) I'm a big guy 6'4 260 and love to eat food. I can control what I eat in moderate form and don't abuse it too much or often. My co worker isn't pre diabetic nor T1/T2 and started taking it purely for weight lost. Within a week already lost 2 pounds but lost more inches and lower appetite.

I know that it can make you have bad cramps and abdomen pain but that because doctors don't tell there patients that higher fat content foods and taking metformin causes this issues. I k ow that everyone is different while taking the same meds but, knowing the contents of a medication helps ease what a patient can eat without discomIdilike fort.

I myself don't like taking meds but if it will helps short term and help me control how much eat for the short term would it be beneficial.