How much calories do you take for breakfast?

Options
Today I ate a pastry, corn&rlce, green salad, carrot etc and they were 734 calories at total. Normally I would take around 300, but I have an appetite problem lately which I think is psychological. I will skip lunch and eat a well-nutritient dinner. I bought organic milupa baby food, which I am sure tastes horrible but well in nutritients.

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    300-700+ as well. Just depends on the day and what I have
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Today I ate a pastry, corn&rlce, green salad, carrot etc and they were 734 calories at total. Normally I would take around 300, but I have an appetite problem lately which I think is psychological. I will skip lunch and eat a well-nutritient dinner. I bought organic milupa baby food, which I am sure tastes horrible but well in nutritients.
    I was having this problem also, kept feeling hungry. What helped me was to eat low calorie meals every 3 hours. Keeps sugar stable and no roller coasters which I think helps stabilize appetite and cravings.
    To answer your question I have 255 for breakfast, followed by another 100 later. But i was eating much more in the morning previously when i wasnt spacing out my meals.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Today I had several cups of coffee, and ate nothing else until about 5:30 - 6 PM. Most days I just have coffee and a bagel, and nothing much more until dinner.

Eat what works for you. Maybe you're just hungry in the morning because you are eating less at night.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Your eating baby food?

Just have a nice chicken breast with a huge side salad for dinner and then you'll still have enough calories to have some soup or a salad for lunch.
    Try not to punish yourself because you have divided your calories in a different way to the way you normally do. This has to become sustainable or you won't succeed long term.

Why not eat at maintenance level for the day? Don't be hard on yourself :)
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options

Why is your daily goal only 1000 calories? That is very low, under recommended minimum, and leads to problems like above. I'm not sure about the appetite problem being psychological; you're existing off practically nothing and that will naturally lead to being hungry. As for the baby food, if you're resorting to that then first concentrate on getting an appropriate number of calories from proper adult food. Then once that is under control, look at nutrients. Yuck.

To answer your question though, I eat 350 - 400 for breakfast then another 200 - 300 for morning tea about 3 hours later. I exercise in the morning and I get hungry so this works for me. But then I'm losing quite comfortably eating a lot more than 1000 calories.
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    WingardiumLeviosa91 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Why is your daily goal only 1000 calories? That is very low, under recommended minimum, and leads to problems like above. I'm not sure about the appetite problem being psychological; you're existing off practically nothing and that will naturally lead to being hungry. As for the baby food, if you're resorting to that then first concentrate on getting an appropriate number of calories from proper adult food. Then once that is under control, look at nutrients. Yuck.

To answer your question though, I eat 350 - 400 for breakfast then another 200 - 300 for morning tea about 3 hours later. I exercise in the morning and I get hungry so this works for me. But then I'm losing quite comfortably eating a lot more than 1000 calories.

Maybe I should change it back to 1200... I eat more than that because I exercise every day.
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    Options

Your eating baby food?

Just have a nice chicken breast with a huge side salad for dinner and then you'll still have enough calories to have some soup or a salad for lunch.
    Try not to punish yourself because you have divided your calories in a different way to the way you normally do. This has to become sustainable or you won't succeed long term.

Why not eat at maintenance level for the day? Don't be hard on yourself :)

Yes, I met a woman who eats baby food 3 times a day for her diet. She was aiming to lose weight. and she seemed healthy enough.
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Today I had several cups of coffee, and ate nothing else until about 5:30 - 6 PM. Most days I just have coffee and a bagel, and nothing much more until dinner.

Eat what works for you. Maybe you're just hungry in the morning because you are eating less at night.

I actually had a past and a mandarin right before sleep, but it didn't prevent me from getting so hungry in the morning :)

How do you survive the day like that !? Don't you need energy? What is your dinner like?
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    Options
    I was having this problem also, kept feeling hungry. What helped me was to eat low calorie meals every 3 hours. Keeps sugar stable and no roller coasters which I think helps stabilize appetite and cravings.
    To answer your question I have 255 for breakfast, followed by another 100 later. But i was eating much more in the morning previously when i wasnt spacing out my meals.

This is a good hint. Thank you :)
  • ajm_uwe
    ajm_uwe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wait as long as I can before having breakfast, at least til 11. As when I eat soon after waking I get really hungry ( something to do with insulin spiking apparently!)
  • Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 300 calories for breakfast too (cereal + milk, or porridge), but today I went out and must have eaten around 900 :D But I was really a brunch, so there won't be any lunch and I'll have soup for dinner.
  • random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    During workdays (weekdays and some weekends), I have a protein bar and a coffee for breakfast. I like to have a fair amount of milk with my morning coffee so it adds about 60 calories to my 150-250 calorie bar (I use a few different bars so the calorie count varies). This puts my breakfast in the 250 calorie range on most workdays.

On weekends, my breakfasts are often more substantial. My weekend breakfast can be anything from 300 to 700 calories depending on how much energy I have to make a good breakfast. Also, if I plan on going out for food or drinks later in the day, I stick to a low calorie breakfast.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Usually between 350 to 450, depending what I make. I try to aim for high protein/high fiber. This morning I had a light multigrain English muffin with egg white, low sodium ham, pepper jack cheese and tomato. So good and filling. Later for a snack I'll have Greek yogurt and some fruit. Maybe it's your food choices that's bringing on cravings. You may be mistaking it for hunger (appetite). Just my two cents.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about 400 calories for breakfast. I get 1,600 calories in total so I like to have 400 in the morning, 300 throughout the day snacking, 500 for dinner, and 400 as a late night snack :)
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating to lose weight my breakfast is 250-300 calories, if I'm eating to maintain my breakfast is 400-500 calories.
  • donalynvaughn
    donalynvaughn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Did you set your own calorie goal? How much are you trying to lose per week? 1000 calories a day is WAY too low. That will set you up for binges. I eat 4 meals a day 300-400 calories per meal, and two snacks equaling about 250 calories a day. My base calories for losing 1.5 calories a week is 1470, but days I work out, I get about 1600-1800 depending on the workout (I wear a fitness tracker). I also try to maintain a 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat macro balance, and I stay away from simple carbs altogether. Get protein at every meal and snack, and it will help you not crave the sugar and junk. I have lost close to 80 pounds and have been at this a little over a year. There really is no magic bullet or quick fix if you want to improve your long term health.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Didnt realize your calorie goal is low, definitely increase it a little.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I eat <300 for breakfast, 100-200 for snack, around 300 for lunch (unless I didn't have a snack, then I'll add those calories to lunch), then >500 for dinner (whatever is left over, usually a good bit on the days that I exercise).
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Usually 500 calories, usually my biggest single intake in the day. I find I can't properly function in the morning without a decent meal.
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    On work days, I eat around 400 cal for bfast. I try to do higher protein like a bar and greek yo w/ fresh fruit or eggs, cheese, and veggies. On days I'm off I usually sleep in much longer and usually get the majority of my calories later in the day. I know for me, protein keeps my appetite in check much better than a meal of pure carbs.