Losing sleep - anxiety

Options
KT_3009
KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone have any tips for getting a good nights sleep.. I've tried drink herbal tea before bed, trying to go to bed early and eating a smaller dinner but nothing has been working. I think my anxiety might have a lot to do with it but living off 3-5 hrs sleep is becoming a burden!
Any tips would be amazing thanks :)

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Anxiety is horrid and you should speak to your doctor. Are you exercising? It does minimize it.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    Currently been given breathing techniques from the doctor to see if that works (so far it hasn't) and with exercise I am restarting tomorrow which I'm looking forward to, after being ill for the past week
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    KT_3009 wrote: »
    Currently been given breathing techniques from the doctor to see if that works (so far it hasn't) and with exercise I am restarting tomorrow which I'm looking forward to, after being ill for the past week

Hope this helps.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Journaling before bed and cutting back on caffeine. These two are key for me. I have no trouble falling asleep but my anxiety wakes me up and keeps me up. I write in my journal before bed and if I'm up in the night I also write what's keeping me up (usually silly things - thanks anxiety). The caffeine one is brutal especially if you are sleep deprived and trying to function but I firmly believe it is a huge contributor to anxiety. Exercise helps also.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest the breathing technique... have you tried the apps for it? One of the best apps I've ever spent money on (I think they have free versions). I never heard the end of the tape, I'm always asleep before it ends.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest the breathing technique... have you tried the apps for it? One of the best apps I've ever spent money on (I think they have free versions). I never heard the end of the tape, I'm always asleep before it ends.

Which app in particular do you use?
  • KT_3009
    Options
    vestarocks wrote: »
    Journaling before bed and cutting back on caffeine. These two are key for me. I have no trouble falling asleep but my anxiety wakes me up and keeps me up. I write in my journal before bed and if I'm up in the night I also write what's keeping me up (usually silly things - thanks anxiety). The caffeine one is brutal especially if you are sleep deprived and trying to function but I firmly believe it is a huge contributor to anxiety. Exercise helps also.

I may have to try this out!! I am the opposite though i tend to stay up to the silly hours of the morning and than sleep until midday.. I have stopped having coffee and energy drinks which has helped a little bit but my brain is always on thinking mode through all hours of the night
  • KT_3009
    Options

I recently downloaded a sleep well app and an asmr app to listen to! I will have to put those to use tonight and hopefully they will calm me down a bit :) thanks for the info
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Yoga may help you relax and help with the anxiety, too. There's plenty of routines on YouTube!

~Lyssa
  • KT_3009
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Yoga may help you relax and help with the anxiety, too. There's plenty of routines on YouTube!

~Lyssa

Thank you :) I recently just purchased a yoga mat so I will definitely look into those YouTube channels or might go out and buy a disk
  • KT_3009
    Options
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi! Have you identified the source of your anxiety?

I had this problem. My job at the time was the source of my anxiety. I would wake in the middle of the night... Sometimes crying. It was so unlike me and one if the worst things I endured. (I also put on my weight during this period)

Identifying the issue made me work on finding a way out. That determination alone made some of my anxiety subside.

Three years later I am out of there and undoing the damage that period of my life caused.

I wish you the best!! And continue reaching out!!
  • KT_3009
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »
    Hi! Have you identified the source of your anxiety?

I had this problem. My job at the time was the source of my anxiety. I would wake in the middle of the night... Sometimes crying. It was so unlike me and one if the worst things I endured. (I also put on my weight during this period)

Identifying the issue made me work on finding a way out. That determination alone made some of my anxiety subside.

Three years later I am out of there and undoing the damage that period of my life caused.

I wish you the best!! And continue reaching out!!

Hi thankyou so much for sharing your story with anxiety! My source of anxiety comes from a mix of OCD and Phobias (death/family) and also generalised anxiety.. My doctor has brought up medication but will not know until my next appointment :) so I will have to wait until than but hopefully they may suggest something other than medication
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you're using electronic devices at night, using something like f.lux (for Windows) and Twilight (for Android devices) can really help. The more orange light at night helps you relax more and wind down for better sleep. The default blue light from electronic devices is quite harsh.

I'm also on Escitalopram, which changed my life. It's not a cure, but it helps beyond words.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    Currently have an IPhone is there any chance they have the orange light on here? Or is it only Androids.. And my doctor has brought up a few medications that I could be prescribed so I'm hoping that the medication will at least help to get me drowsy at night and manage my anxiety a bit better
  • KT_3009
    Options
    i take melatonin low dose 1 hour before sleep time
    http://www.amazon.com/Schiff-Melatonin-Tablets-L-Theanine-Chamomile/dp/B005D2TB9G
    (but I truly needed help) - eventually hope to stop
    just about every store sells this

I have heard about melantonin and am quite intrigued with what is say it helps with. I may have to give it a go, Thanks!
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know you can get f.lux on your iPhone if it's jailbroken (https://justgetflux.com/ios.html), so you might be able to find something similar in the apple store. Otherwise just really dimming the light at night is still helpful.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    purpleflux wrote: »
    I know you can get f.lux on your iPhone if it's jailbroken (https://justgetflux.com/ios.html), so you might be able to find something similar in the apple store. Otherwise just really dimming the light at night is still helpful.

Thankyou :)
  • KT_3009
    Options
    NJCJF wrote: »

Which app in particular do you use?

Yes would love to know some other apps I could download :) don't mind if i have to pay