(POST 2) BATTLE OF THE BULGE Summer Slimdown Challenge!!!

Options

Replies

• samvanz
    samvanz Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Kristy, it's now 2.30pm and you've just posted this... It is a little late in the day for me, yeah...

This iced water challenge is a bit hard for me, as it's just REALLY hit winter here - very very cold and raining non-stop. However, I'll give it a shot and definitely fill my cup today!

I add things to my water - cucumber, mint, lemon... I've also taken to drinking before and with meals. Things taste better when you drink water while eating them! Especially things that you really enjoy - swish some water around your mouth after each bite, and the next mouthful tastes as good as the first one did!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I know I am late getting in my 2 cents...Kristie asked; "share your secrets to success"

I think my main defense as far as making sure I stay away from caloric purgatory is educating myself on the numbers (values)
    which are given to certain foods. I eat as clean as possible, using raw organics to fill the void, and it works great!

Also, to meet calorie goals so I don't under-eat I tend to use the "good" fats like flax seed oil or ground flax or cooking my lean proteins with olive oil etc. avocado in everything when I have it....almonds.

I find it so easy to stay under! hope this helps!
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    logo-the-biggest-loser1.gif

WEEK 3 RESULTS ARE IN!!!

After a gain last week :bigsmile: crystal_sapphire:bigsmile: has pulled her weight this week - losing the most weight this week (6.3lbs) AND the highest % of her Body weight (3.72%) !!

Our runner up not far behind her is :bigsmile: princessekrystale:bigsmile: with 6.1lbs lost and 2.80% of her body weight!!!! CONGRATS!

FROM OUR WEEK 2 STARTERS...
    :bigsmile: moofer:bigsmile: is the biggest loser having lost an impresive 2.5% of body weight!
    Biggest loser in terms of lbs lost this week goes to :bigsmile: cherubcrnp!:bigsmile: with a whopping 5.2 lbs!

FROM OUR WEEK 3 STARTERS (their first official week)...
    Irene8509 is the biggest loser overall with 2.03% of body weight lost!
    There is a 3-way tie for most lbs lost...at 3.2 lbs in 1 week...
    :bigsmile: Irene8509:bigsmile:
    :bigsmile: SheBB (alsocelebrating the most she's ever lost in a week! haha):bigsmile:
    :bigsmile: Hananiah:bigsmile:

CONGRATS TO ALL OUR WEEK 3 BOB WOWs (winners of the week!)
    5faef410d47e736d624a49db9b76793c.gif

THEY GOT THE BEAT - this song goes to you...

:drinker: WE GOT THE BEAT - The Go Gos... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqqb71gEAbY
    Enjoy!

GO TO WWW.WIX.COM/PRPLANGL4/BATTLEOFTHEBULGE FOR THE COMPLETE WEEK 3 RESULTS!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    Options
    NOTE:

In college course "Exercise Science" they warn against ice water when working out.
    Known to cause stomach problems. beware.
    Room temp water ALWAYS recommended here!!!

have a great Wednesday :glasses:
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i love water now....i normally drink 96-128 oz. a day, sometimes more....once i finish a glass, im drinking another one.....i take a big 32 oz. Ga. Bulldog mug with me to work so i keep it filled....i drink 3 containers full before 11pm, then when i work out i fill it again.....then im done for the day......i also use crystal light flavor mixes to keep it flavored....every other fill up im adding flavor.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    and of course i pee like a rushing race horse......thank God
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Shout out. Pretty proud of hitting the 80 lb weight loss mark. To celebrate, I'm walking my 2nd 10K this weekend, trying to better my time in hilly terrain this time.
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    NOTE:

In college course "Exercise Science" they warn against ice water when working out.
    Known to cause stomach problems. beware.
    Room temp water ALWAYS recommended here!!!

have a great Wednesday :glasses:

couple medical sources say this isn't true...

The American College of Sports Medicine says
    "Water palatability is influenced by several factors including temperature and flavoring. While most individuals prefer cool water, the preferred water temperature is influenced by cultural and learned behaviors. The most pleasurable water temperature during recovery from exercise was 5C, although when water was ingested in large quantities, a temperature of ~15-21C was preferred... It is therefore reasonable to expect that the effect of flavoring and water temperature should increase fluid consumption during exercise, although there is insufficient evidence to support this hypothesis."

One of the sources relied upon for this statement is Effects of meal temperature and volume on the emptying of liquid from the human stomach which concluded that cool liquids increased the amount of fluid emptied from the stomach in the first 5 minutes--in other words, cold liquids leave the stomach rapidly during the first five minutes after drinking. source

From Tufts University
    "Can drinking ice water during exercise “shock” the system too much? Is it better to go with slightly cool water?"

There’s no harm in drinking ice-cold water when you exercise. In fact, cold fluids empty from the stomach faster than warm ones, so they’re faster at replacing water lost through sweating. That “can have an immediate effect of cooling off the body’s core” during exercise, says William Evans, PhD, director of the Nutrition, Metabolism, and Exercise Laboratory at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a 22-30 oz bottle that I try to fill up and chug down between meals. When its empty, I get up and fill it. I try not to let it stay empty. If I get tired of plain water then I add lemon or a little bit of a peppermint stick, It gives it just enough flavor. I usually get 3-7 of those bottles a day. However, If I don't have my water bottle, I sometimes forget to drink water. Last week was pretty awful because I didn't get enough water pretty much all week. I am constantly going to the bathroom. My family actually makes fun of me because of it, saying I pee more than pregnant women.
  • andtian
    andtian Posts: 47
    Options
    I find that I can drink more water if it is luke warm water.. I boil it let it stand awhile and I can finish about 1L=33oz (i think) in about 45 minutes.I tend to do that about two times a day and then at the same time finish one,two or three that is 750ml= 25oz (i think) of tap water.
    I must say the first litre of lukewarm water is with lemon in it in the morning..I don't know how I do it.. I just tell myself when I crave for food to drink x amount and wait till the feeling of fullness is gone. And by that time I don't crave anything anymore.
    I know the whole idea of cold water burning calories is because your body has to work to warm you up..I remember in South Korea, the girls would wear mini skirts and dress really skimpy for the same reason in winter. It is cold so your body has to work to warm you up and you burn calories..
    Personally, I can't stand drinking cold water, I'm one of those people who lets the ice cream melt a bit before eating, etc. I feel it is too much of a shock to my system.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    Options
    heard that!
    love the melty ice cream....
    don't get me started!
    LOL
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    Options
    silly goose, I meant it is "always recommended here FOR ME" I can't stand ice cold anything...LOL
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    Options
    AWESOME weight loss, good for you!!!!!
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have been using 2 tips somebody- I forget who it was - posted on this site to help me drink more water. First - i know this one was Kristy, thanks! - I drink water at every red light on the way to work. Second, I have a cup with a straw - for some weird reason, I seem to drink more with a straw!! Have a great Wednesday all!
  • kristinmkartist
    kristinmkartist Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I really didn't do yesterdays challenge. I was wiped out from my new job! I am not use to being on my feet all day I need way better shoes!

For water I stink at getting all my water in for the day. I should try the straw idea! Now with this new job we have a water pitcher by us so there should be NO reason I can't drink some!

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE THAT LOST THIS WEEK!
  • DunnaStunna
    DunnaStunna Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Gotta have ice with my water so good to know it may be helping me out! Will def hit this mark.
  • dancer_emt
    dancer_emt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This challenge will be a hard one for me bc I can never fill up my mfp cup. I hate drinking plain water. We will see how it goes today. I've already drank 1 glass.
  • kacione
    kacione Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    To get my water I usually drink one glass of water with my vitamins in the AM and then try to drink at least two between each meal and snack. It adds up fast
    So water-breakfast-2 water-snack-2 water- lunch- 2 water- snack- 2 water- supper- 2 water - snack- 2 water = at least 13 glasses of water. It works for me
    I can not do ice in my water
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This challenge will be a hard one for me bc I can never fill up my mfp cup. I hate drinking plain water. We will see how it goes today. I've already drank 1 glass.

If you can find it at the store, try MIO. It's a little silver bottle with flavored concentrate in it. It has no calories. You squeeze a little in water and it turns it into a flavor! I've tried only the fruit punch, but it was DEELISH! It's in the powder section (ie: Crystal Light, Koolaide)
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I didn't pick up the hoop like I said I was yesterday..... BUT! I DID dance my butt off with a friend doing Just Dance! I almost had an asthma attack from it. It was AWESOME!

I love water with ice in it. It just feels like it's from one of those refreshing water commercials. The water at my work sucks. It's Arrowhead and it really doesn't taste very good. Ice makes it taste MUCH better. To drink more water, I treat myself to an awesome drinking recepticle. At Bed Bath and Beyond I got a double walled cup with a lid and a straw hole. I now want another one to keep at work! Online, I purchased a Love Bottle. It's a glass water bottle with an old-timey lid (go to lovebottle.net to see the cuteness!). I got a sporty pink Outdoors bottle for camping. It's probably just me, but buying little items like that make me excited to drink water out of it. *shrug/smile*