Running apps

Options

Replies

• writergirljodie
    writergirljodie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zombies, Run! So much fun and keeps me motivated to get out and actually run. I've also used C25K and it was really nice until I found Zombies, Run! I also use RunKeeper and Map My Run (usually when I'm hiking, though, instead or when I'm not feeling like running from zombies! LOL)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I've used Runkeeper forever, but here lately I've just not been happy with it. The mileage is way off. There's another update I do to do on it, but I've updated several times and it just keeps getting worse.

I had the same problem. I got a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch and Runkeeper was blatantly off. There's a park with a paved loop around it where I run and Runkeeper said it was 1.3 miles around the loop. The GPS watch said .85 miles. I looked up the park online to see if there was any info...and it's definitely .85 miles. Thanks for nothing Runkeeper! :(
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I've used Runkeeper forever, but here lately I've just not been happy with it. The mileage is way off. There's another update I do to do on it, but I've updated several times and it just keeps getting worse.

I had the same problem. I got a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch and Runkeeper was blatantly off. There's a park with a paved loop around it where I run and Runkeeper said it was 1.3 miles around the loop. The GPS watch said .85 miles. I looked up the park online to see if there was any info...and it's definitely .85 miles. Thanks for nothing Runkeeper! :(

Usually that problem lies with the phone, not the app.
  • BSRjogger
    BSRjogger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    BattleSuit Runner Fitness is like ZRun but better story and gameplay.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Android phone
    I use Zombies, Run!
    Zombies, Run! 5k
    and Map My Run
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    endomondo is pretty good

I'd caution all Endomondo users to do a simple test. Turn your app on for any activity, then set the phone down. Though I used Endomondo for a couple years I found the rate it adds calories to account for BMR is just way too high.

I'm not a runner, but I switched to Strava and get much closer to net calorie burn now. I'm hoping it works as well for other activities.
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper, Endomundo and Wahoo Fitness. Endomundo feeds into my Fitbit account which is then fed into MFP.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I use Strava and I love it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly interested in which app has the most accurate GPS, and which app will tell you your pace for each mile on the free version while you're using it. I use Fitbit for the calorie burn. Any suggestions with those things in mind?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    The GPS is determined by your phone. The apps will only report what it gets back.

I use Endomondo on my Android phone (LG G4) and I 'believe' there is only a free version now (I did pay for it years ago). You can configure it to give you pace info at any interval you like (time or distance). The info can be voice, display on the phone, or as I use it, displayed on my watch.

There are others that do this as well (Runkeeper, Runstastic, etc). I chose Endomondo because at the time it worked best with my watch.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    strava and garmin connect to download data

GPS watch to record run
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    The GPS is determined by your phone. The apps will only report what it gets back.

I use Endomondo on my Android phone (LG G4) and I 'believe' there is only a free version now (I did pay for it years ago). You can configure it to give you pace info at any interval you like (time or distance). The info can be voice, display on the phone, or as I use it, displayed on my watch.

There are others that do this as well (Runkeeper, Runstastic, etc). I chose Endomondo because at the time it worked best with my watch.

Thanks! I am very technologically challenged, I had no idea that it was down to my phone. I have Endomondo now, and it was the only one to keep announcing with every mile. The others stopped after a certain point.
  • dtsbrown
    dtsbrown Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use map my run.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i used the c25k and b210k but now i just use garmin connect and my phone.
    I have runkeeper but i don't use it often. i don't get the point of the gps map. if it gave directions, now then I would use it.
  • dewd2
    edited October 2015
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I have runkeeper but i don't use it often. i don't get the point of the gps map. if it gave directions, now then I would use it.

It is great to pre-plan your runs. I go on Endomondo's website and create routes. When I want to run 10 miles and I'm at home, I have a route for that. Run 5 miles at the office? I have a route. Each time I run one of these pre-planned routes I can compare it to previous times. I can get a better sense of how I am progressing. I can also see how tough a particular route is and plan accordingly.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I saw an article ranking the various run apps. I believe Runkeeper and Strava were at the top and very comparable to each other. I have used both but prefer Runkeeper. This may be because I started with it and just feel more comfortable with it. My only issue is some phones are not very accurate as GPS devices.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

It is great to pre-plan your runs. I go on Endomondo's website and create routes. When I want to run 10 miles and I'm at home, I have a route for that. Run 5 miles at the office? I have a route. Each time I run one of these pre-planned routes I can compare it to previous times. I can get a better sense of how I am progressing. I can also see how tough a particular route is and plan accordingly.

but if i'm not familiar with the paths (running paths at the lake) then i have to spend more time looking at my phone than looking ahead. if i don't have a lot of turns or options, then i understand, but i found it completely unhelpful on saturday.
    google maps saved my butt this morning. i got lost even though i lived in the area.
  • dewd2
    Options

but if i'm not familiar with the paths (running paths at the lake) then i have to spend more time looking at my phone than looking ahead. if i don't have a lot of turns or options, then i understand, but i found it completely unhelpful on saturday.
    google maps saved my butt this morning. i got lost even though i lived in the area.

I don't mean to look at my phone when running. I never pull it out unless things go terribly wrong. :#

I use it as a way to map runs prior to running. That's all. Very useful when I am training for a race.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love Strava.
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    PeachyCarol. As I said above I have been Runkeeper, Endomundo and Wahoo Fitness all in parallel, for some time now, on my iPhone 6. In terms of distance, they are all relatively accurate. I believe the free version of Runkeeper will show you your pace by mile. You just need to swipe right to get to the screen.