Food to stay away from ?

Replies

• 1. Jelly (Jello)
    2. Jelly (Jello)
    3. Jelly (Jello)
    4. Jelly (Jello)
    5. Jelly (Jello)

Jelly is gross. Don't eat it ever.
    Everything else in moderation. Other than Bacon. Eat that stuff like it's going out of fashion ;)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited October 2015
    I have NO 'forbidden' foods... But this is what I try to avoid:

1) empty calories: things with very little redeeming features whatsoever... I think of ways to 'help' my beloved splurges out. For instance I LURVE movie popcorn the 3-4 times a year I actually go to a theatre. I make room in my calories, but also sprinkle it with nutritional yeast to boost the protein & help me swap it for a proper meal. If I know we're picking up donuts for the family, I eat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese half an hour before & consider the donut a snack that needs to be worked into my calories. At least I dont crash and burn metabolically before the next meal.
    2) unconscious calories: you know, like TJoes or Costco samples... If I see something I want to try, I wait til I'm done shopping and go back if it is really really worth it (fat chance!)
    3) unportioned calories: I will always love salt & vinegar crisps... but I will never again eat them straight from an open bag!
    4) obligatory calories: I'm very happy you are expecting twins office mate; no, I'm not obliged to eat a piece of that crappy Safeway baby shower cake. Nor am I obliged to try your mystery casserole at the holiday potluck. Just. No. Thank you. I save myself for the good stuff when I'm in the mood!
    5) puffer fish calories. Because really, have you read the statistics? One small chef error & you're a goner! Lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    How does bacon make any list that does not start with foods that make you happy?

I can honestly say I can't ever remember being happy because of bacon.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Although sometimes it's harder than others, I try not to look at it as staying away from foods. I view it more as including foods.

I am giving myself healthy foods. I'm giving myself foods that taste great and contain vitamins, minerals and fiber that I need.

I want to have a healthy body, so I eat healthy foods. I want to eat yummy foods, so I make healthy things in yummy ways.

There are times where I have to say, "Those donuts look good, but I'm not eating them." But it's really not very hard these days. It was terribly difficult at first and for quite a while! But now, I usually don't even consider having them and on the rare occasion where I have an urge, it goes away quickly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I stay away from foods I have trouble eating in moderation. So, I don't buy bags of chips, or big boxes of Tabasco Cheez-Its. Everything else is fair game. Unless you have a medical problem, then food is food. Just eat fewer calories than you burn, and you will lose weight.

Umm..t-tabasco cheezits? ?

hcojqjymqx2b.jpg

I should buy those as an evil plan to troll my kids.

OP - eat what you want as long as you stay within your calories. Just eat less of the things that have a lot of calories and don't fill you up much (like chips, bread, or sweets).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    How does bacon make any list that does not start with foods that make you happy?

Well my husband brings me bacon toasties and coffee in bed

So I can :D
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    What are bacon toasties?
  • Sued0nim
    What are bacon toasties?

Dude :open_mouth:

OK bacon and optional egg on white toast with ketchup (or HP brown sauce)

student-recipes-toastie-13.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

I wouldn't like that at all. I don't like to eat in bed, I hate coffee and I'm not crazy about bacon.
  • Sued0nim

I wouldn't like that at all. I don't like to eat in bed, I hate coffee and I'm not crazy about bacon.

Then it's a good job you're not married to him I suppose
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    I cant stop staring at the pic........
  • Sued0nim
    I cant stop staring at the pic........

Ah-huh :bigsmile:
  • rabbitjb wrote: »

Then it's a good job you're not married to him I suppose

I'd marry him JUST for that sandwich!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Here's the thing, my top five foods will not be your top five foods. You have to ask yourself, what do *I* have problems portioning and then figure out how you will deal with that challenge.

No foods are off limits for me except ice cream and that's because of what it does to my stomach, not because of the actual food. The foods that I have trouble portioning, I don't keep in the house or I keep in hard to reach places, where I have to put some thought into getting whatever the item may be.

I'm trying to eat for nutrition first and then going from there, fitting in treats if I have the calories left over for it.

If you don't have problems portioning then happily count your calories eating the foods you enjoy. You might figure out ways you want to tweak your diet but again, only you will have the answer. Whether it's increasing protein, limiting carbs, eating more veggies. It's up to you, what will work for you.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    What are bacon toasties?

Dude :open_mouth:

OK bacon and optional egg on white toast with ketchup (or HP brown sauce)

student-recipes-toastie-13.jpg

WOW what a GREAT husband can I borrow him for one morning? That sandwich looks good!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I stay away from foods I have trouble eating in moderation. So, I don't buy bags of chips, or big boxes of Tabasco Cheez-Its. Everything else is fair game. Unless you have a medical problem, then food is food. Just eat fewer calories than you burn, and you will lose weight.

Umm..t-tabasco cheezits? ?

hcojqjymqx2b.jpg
    I hope the "real cheese" isn't as blatantly false as the "Hot & Spicy."

• superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Things I do stay away from and things I do stay away from sometimes are very different. I do better if I stay clear of carbs. Just works better for me personally. I also should stay away from wine but that is like my decompression at the end of the day. Glass or 2 of wine while I make a yummy dinner just can't seem to find anything else that is as satisfying.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member

They definitely aren't hot, but they are tasty. To be fair, I haven't found a chip or cracker that is actually spicy. Even most "hot" sauces and salsas are just a bit tingly at best.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2015
    wmbzgj4i722z.jpg

They definitely aren't hot, but they are tasty. To be fair, I haven't found a chip or cracker that is actually spicy. Even most "hot" sauces and salsas are just a bit tingly at best.

Foods I stay away from NOT <3