Food to stay away from ?

Options

Replies

• GelasiaT
    GelasiaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreeance with everyone else. The only bad food is food that's contaminated, spoiled, or will have a serious medical effect on your body (i.e. allergic reaction). The only thing you need to remember when it comes to the food you eat is "moderation". As long as you don't overdo it you can pretty much eat what you want. I look at food the same way I look at fuel for my car, sometimes I use 87 grade which isn't the best, sometimes I use 93 grade (the good stuff), even though the 93 grade is better when it comes to the life of my engine, both have one main purpose - to keep my car running. That's what food does for our bodies - fuel (energize) it. The fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains are better for our body and it's organs in general, but "all food" is converted into energy or stored as fat (when we over consume). Me personally, 85% of my diet per week is the good stuff (lean meats, veggies, fruits, whole grains, moderate fats) the other 15% is what most will consider junk (cookies, chocolate, ice cream, chips). All of which is eaten in moderation.

* on a side note - I laughed reading the part about bacon not being good for you - the oldest person in the world (a 116 year old lady) has a serving of bacon for breakfast everyday - now tell me that isn't good :p
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember the Aliens movie where they drank spoiled milk to get drunk? lol
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    helga5200 wrote: »
    Hey I've been trying to get my diet going! And it's actually going pretty well! I'm trying to lose some weight and I've been reading all kinds of blogs and articals about what NOT to eat. Someone will say nobody should ever eat bacon but than another one will say it can actually do you some good. But what I was wondering was, What are the top 5 things/food you stay away from when you're trying to lose weight?

If your goal is 100% weight loss with no other consideration, then I'd aim for foods with high satisfaction and/or fullness, which is different for everyone, unfortunately. I'm personally not big on big green salads every day. They're fine, but I would rather eat a smaller volume of food so I don't trigger binge urges. But balancing tasty treats with "healthy" food helps adherence to a way of eating if you're trying to eat at a deficit. So if you enjoy cupcakes, for instance, working them into your weekly diet can be important to keeping you sticking to a long term diet plan.

But if you have other goals like, reduce need for diabetes meds, lower cholesterol, manage hypoglycemia, depression, etc., then the food goals change somewhat, in my opinion.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If in full diet mode, I avoid:

1) Refined carbohydrates, such as bread, pasta, noodles, and rice
    2) Sugar, including sugary fruits
    3) Fatty foods
    4) Starchy vegetables
    5) Alcohol
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    What about 1/2 diet mode or 1/4 diet mode?
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I stay away from foods I have trouble eating in moderation. So, I don't buy bags of chips, or big boxes of Tabasco Cheez-Its. Everything else is fair game. Unless you have a medical problem, then food is food. Just eat fewer calories than you burn, and you will lose weight.

I do the same. I stay away from haribo gummy bears (I have to eat at least a half bag). Utz sweet heat BBQ chips take me on a small binge too. Overall I'm trying to stay away from foods that have low nutritional content that will have me starving again in an hour
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember the Aliens movie where they drank spoiled milk to get drunk? lol

lol Yes I remember it. I believe it was Alien Nation which was a TV series.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    That's very individual question, really, as you're seeing from the responses. What works for me has been to greatly increase my vegetables. I need them to fill me up. I've crossed off most pasta and rice. I eat very little right now. I crossed off junk food. It doesn't sustain me. I've crossed off sweets, except when I really, really need a treat. Again, it doesn't keep me full.

You have to figure out what works for you. For me? I definitely upped my protein and vegetables.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I stay away from foods I have trouble eating in moderation. So, I don't buy bags of chips, or big boxes of Tabasco Cheez-Its. Everything else is fair game. Unless you have a medical problem, then food is food. Just eat fewer calories than you burn, and you will lose weight.

Umm..t-tabasco cheezits? ?
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

hcojqjymqx2b.jpg
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

hcojqjymqx2b.jpg

I'm in trouble now :)
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

hcojqjymqx2b.jpg

I'm in trouble now :)

Yeah. They're pretty tasty. ;)
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What worked for me (54 lbs in 8 months) was staying away from as much prepackaged overly processed foods as possible. I feel fuller on whole foods and therefore can stay at my calorie goal more easily.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

hcojqjymqx2b.jpg

Oooh yeah!!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Just stay away from mine :D
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm following a LCHF WOE so my food restrictions will be different than most
    1. Sugar (table sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave, etc)
    2. Starches (potatoes, rice, noodles, anything made from flour or starches)
    3. Processed foods with added sugars
    4. Junk food made from carbs (soda, jujubes, potato chips, nachos, etc)
    5. Fruits that are high in sugars

I could eat these in small amounts and still hit my macros but I choose not to.
  • helga5200
    helga5200 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Really happy about the responses, like someone said this is a very individual question! The thing that I'm gonna do is to try to eat as unprocessed food as possible! And one thing that I think we can all agree on is that everything is best in moderation ! So clean and good food and staying below the calorie max for the day.
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    BeccaColliesBurton Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am the same as nvmomketo - I am following a low carb high fat way of eating and it means I can be full and eat lots of rich food, I follow paleo eating loosely

So only unrefined sugar such as coconut palm sugar and pure maple syrup but as little as poss.
    No wheat or grain
    no processed food
    High sugar foods

Thuis way you end up feeling much better and all of a sudden lots of foods just taste far too sweet! More energy less trouble with irritable bowl too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Things I (mostly) stay away from for weight control (whether losing or maintaining)

1. baby back ribs
    2. cheesecake
    3. bacon
    4. brats
    5. sugary drinks
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How does bacon make any list that does not start with foods that make you happy?