Food to stay away from ?

Options
Hey I've been trying to get my diet going! And it's actually going pretty well! I'm trying to lose some weight and I've been reading all kinds of blogs and articals about what NOT to eat. Someone will say nobody should ever eat bacon but than another one will say it can actually do you some good. But what I was wondering was, What are the top 5 things/food you stay away from when you're trying to lose weight?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There are three foods (well, three groups of foods) I won't eat:

1. Foods that put me over my calories allowance.
    2. Foods I'm allergic to.
    3. Foods I don't like.

Even then I don't mind breaking rule 1 once in a while.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    1. Anything that puts you over your calorie goal.
    2. Anything that puts you over your calorie goal.
    3. Anything that puts you over your calorie goal.
    4. Anything that puts you over your calorie goal.
    5. Anything that puts you over your calorie goal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1. Foods that make you ill
    2. Foods that you don't like
    3. Foods that have gone bad
    4. Foods that have been contaminated
    5. Foods that will take you over your goals routinely

Really, though, you don't have to cut anything out. Focus on getting your nutrients in first and foremost, then work treats in as you can in moderation.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    1. Rotten food.
    2. Food I don't like.
    3. Food that's too expensive.
    4. Food that's too much trouble to prepare.
    5. Generally, food that doesn't make good leftovers.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I stay away from foods I have trouble eating in moderation. So, I don't buy bags of chips, or big boxes of Tabasco Cheez-Its. Everything else is fair game. Unless you have a medical problem, then food is food. Just eat fewer calories than you burn, and you will lose weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Anything more than 3 days expired, give or take 3 days.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP everyone above has pretty much nailed it already. Don't believe any "don't eat this" rules that you read. If you don't have an allergy or other medical reason to avoid a certain food or food group, then you can eat whatever you want, within your calorie goal, and still lose weight. Many people find that they do best with a primarily nutrient dense diet, which can help fill you up, but then saving room for some treats if you can fit them in.

I find this post, as well as the links embedded within it, to be very helpful for those just starting out and trying to figure out how to make this tool work.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Yes to all the above. If you can meet your calorie goals without feeling uncomfortably hungry, eat whatever you want. But if you find yourself having trouble adhering to your calorie goals, you may want to minimize the calorie dense components of your diet (high sugar high fat) and increase protein and fibrous foods for satiety.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I stay away from foods I have trouble eating in moderation. So, I don't buy bags of chips, or big boxes of Tabasco Cheez-Its. Everything else is fair game. Unless you have a medical problem, then food is food. Just eat fewer calories than you burn, and you will lose weight.

Like this only for me it's Oreos and pints of Ben & Jerry's.

I can eat other treats in moderation, after dinner, after a day where I got plenty of protein in relationships to carbs.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from fast food, high sodium food, and junk food (ie chips, candy, stuff that is high calorie and not nutritionally dense). I also avoid anything that I have a tendency to over eat - like milk chocolate. That being said, I have my own versions of stuff that I have in place of the aforementioned list. I will sub raw chocolate squares (it's cacoa and agave and only 32 calories per 2x2 inch square) in place of milk chocolate. Satisfies the craving and I don't over eat them, and they're healthier. If I want fast food type food, then I make it myself using whole ingredients, and try to eat a salad first so I don't over eat. Lately I've been craving pizza so I've been having veggies and melted cheese on matzo crackers - it's filling and not nearly as high in calories as real pizza. As for bacon - I haven't found a substitution for that so I will let myself have it every now and then, but I only buy one container and split it with my husband so it comes out to me eating five or six slices and it fits into my calorie budget.

My biggest focus is eating whole foods, and avoiding overly processed items. I tend to shop the perimeter of the store, and cook what I'm in the mood for, and use healthy substitutions in the recipe. I try to make certain I hit my micros so I don't need to take supplements. This strategy has worked well for me - my blood work is good, my hair, nails, and skin look great, I feel good, and I don't remember the last time I got sick.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Dont eat pizza.....
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Dont eat pizza.....

Ever? In any quantity? Even when paired with a great big salad?

• mattyc772014
    Options
    Ha! Just kidding. Eat pizza with salad. Whatever your heart desires. :) Dont limit foods unless it is for medical reasons.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Dont eat pizza.....

doh!!! I broke this rule 8 out of the past 9 days :frowning:
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Great advice. For me it's cheez-its too.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    1. cottage cheese
    2. celery
    3. avocado
    4. cauliflower crusted pizza
    5. olives

Other than that I eat everything. Some things though I have to limit the quantities i buy like cookies and sweets.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are three foods (well, three groups of foods) I won't eat:

1. Foods that put me over my calories allowance.
    2. Foods I'm allergic to.
    3. Foods I don't like.

Even then I don't mind breaking rule 1 once in a while.

This^

For me - being satisfied on fewer calories encourages "better" food choices. It's not that I never have treats now, but they are sometime things....not "whenever" things.

If you have trigger foods....then maybe stay a way for a time. But unless you intend of giving it up something forever, work on moderation.
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    Dont drink spoiled milk.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Dont drink spoiled milk.

the thought of that is making me feel ill. esp if it has chunks in it
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Stay away from foods that you have self-control issues with.