How many lbs did you lose before unknowing people started as

Options

Replies

• jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    Last time I lost 20 pounds it was around then that people started noticing a positive difference. That time, however, I lost first in my face and belly. *Crosses fingers* that it's the same way this time!
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well, a lot of people were aware that I was trying to lose.....but the first person that noticed that sees me occasionally and didn't know....was about 21 lbs difference - pretty much my goal weight. Went from 146 to 125. :happy:
  • flyingspatulas
    flyingspatulas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me it was about 15 lbs, mostly because I lost a lot around my face, so it was more noticeable.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I'm 27 pounds down and so far nobody has said anything. (except for my hubby) It's kind of discouraging. But at the same time it's making me work harder so they WILL notice. :smile:

Exact same thing here. 27 lbs down and only people who know that I'm trying to lose weight have said anything.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Last time when I dropped 30 lbs, people started noticing at about 20lbs or so.
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    People started asking outright at about 40lbs. Apparently they were commenting among themselves around 30lbs LOL.
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I found in the past (before I gained it back) that a sure trigger to get these sort of comments is to wear something new that fits better. If you continue to wear your old clothes then you look pretty much the same to the untrained eye, just your clothes are a bit baggy. But if you wear something that fits better people mostly notice that. But like people have said, don't get down if nobody notices. The scale doesn't lie.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind. Even if people notice, they most likely won't say anything. Weight Issues are kind of a touchy subject.

Im guilty of that. I may notice but I don't want to say, "Have you lost weight? You look wonderful!" I don't want to imply that they looked fat and awful before. :tongue: Unless I really know the person, I probably wont say anything.
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    i started at 193 on MFP but at my heaviest I was 207..I think now after losing 30 lbs from my start on MFP people are really starting to ask about my weight loss..
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am down 18 lbs. since Christmas time and my partner's 8yo niece commented that I was bigger at Christmas than when we visited last week. Of course, I was also wearing a swimsuit instead of a bulky sweater...

I think it takes quite a bit for people to decide that 1) you are definitely smaller, it isn't just an illusion and 2) you look healthy, so you must be doing it on purpose. In the US, commenting before you are sure can be just as taboo as asking about a pregnancy only to find out that she is gaining weight. One advantage to people who you don't see very often is that for them the changes will be a little more obvious - people who see you all the time have seen it slip away and they get used to the changes gradually - the new you is you, to them.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I started at 248 and people really didn't say anything until I got to about 210 that is when my face and body changed. I am now at 187 and I am asked daily how did I do it. I am now a fitness freak and I am proud to say that. I tell them how I did it, offer them suggestions and always tell them about MFP.

Shameless plug....always looking for more friends
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've lost 36lbs and nobody has noticed who didn't already know I was dieting/exercising. My roommates say they notice, but obviously, they know I'm on a fitness plan. My girlfriend says my thighs are smaller, which is nice. =). I know that there's a noticable difference in y face (take a look at my ticker), but others have failed to really notice. This is probably because I started at 375. I guess 375lb person standing next to a 339lb person might cause people to really study them to notice that one is lighter than the other by almost 40lbs. I honestly think I'll have take off another 20lbs before anyone really starts to take notice.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    For me it was about 20lbs.
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    18 lbs. Today was the first time someone that didn't know I was loosing said to me, "Wow, how much weight have you lost?! You look great!" My overall goal is to loose 31 lbs so its over my halfway point. I've lost alot in my face though but my belly won't seem to budge!!:grumble:
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Im guilty of that. I may notice but I don't want to say, "Have you lost weight? You look wonderful!" I don't want to imply that they looked fat and awful before. :tongue: Unless I really know the person, I probably wont say anything.

This is exactly the reason why a lot people don't say anything when they notice someone losing.... not unless they're close friends....
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to remember because this was 5 or so years ago when I dropped 61 pounds for the first time (I was on Weight Watchers), I was going into my 8th grade year, and that summer before was when I lost the weight. I went back to school and the first day, people were staring at me. I'm sure I looked like an entirely new person, so they were trying to figure out what happened. Only a couple people came up and told me I looked great, but if you put yourself in their shoes, I would have been embarrassed to comment on someone's weight at that age.

My family members who I haven't seen in a while will occasionally be like "Wow, you're looking great, have you been losing some weight?" and talk about a boost of confidence from their compliments! It's my favorite.

I'm excited to go back for my sophomore year of college, hopefully at my goal weight of 135-140lbs and more toned and see if people notice! I was texting one of my guy friends and told him I was planning on going back new and improved and he was like "NO! I like you the way you are now, I don't want a new you!" hahaha! I reassured him that I'm still going to be the same me inside, maybe a little more confidence, but yes.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i lost two pounds and my boss just looked at me (i was standing side view to him) and said "DAMN! your butt is shrinking! i can fit behind you now!" i guess it was all in my butt that i lost but i've been working with him for years, the whole time i was pregnant my belly grew and so did my butt and my butt didn't shrink until now, well anyway the whole time i was pregnant and for a while after he made fun of my big butt because he couldn't fit between me and the oven when i was standing at the end of our make line anymore, about a 2-2 1/2 foot space.
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    I started at 235.5 and I had to lose over 20 lbs before people started noticing. Now I'm at 183.0 and Im constantly having people come up to me and say "wow, you have lost alot of weight" and I smile and say I know :smile:
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 353# and I lost about 80# before people noticed. However since then a lot of people don't recognize me! I am 2.3# away from being exactly 1/2 of what I used to be!!!
  • MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've really started to get comments just lately...right around 35 lbs. Yay! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!