Can I eat junk and lose weight?

Options
If I eat McDonald's, Wendy's, hamburger helper, spaghetti, etc. BUT STAY WITHIN MY CALORIE GOAL will I still lose weight??

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I have a treat everyday and had no problems losing all my weight

I'm not suggesting eating only fast foods every single day.

But yes, I had treats and snacks daily (with in my calorie budget)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    As long as your calorie goal is set at a deficit, yes.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes but it is likely you will be hungry if you do that a lot--some foods fill you up a lot better than others...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you're in a deficit, you will lose.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've lost 49 pounds doing it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Yep. I am far from the healthiest eater, but by sticking to my allotted calories I have been able to lose a lot of weight.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257157/c-section-mom-of-2-my-progress-over-the-past-couple-years-lots-of-pics
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes. My only problem is that I tend to overeat on junk food, and that is what causes weight gain. I have hunger issues because of all the empty calories, which is why I try my best to eat at least 80% healthy, and 20% junk, while not blowing my calorie limit.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to calories in- calories out! :)

Nobody is suggesting eating all McDonald's every meal, but including treats will not derail weight loss !( as long as your within your calorie allotment)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

and

http://abc7.com/health/teacher-loses-60-pounds-while-eating-nothing-but-mcdonalds/705916/

As long as you hit your calorie goals and any other personal nutrition goals you need to reach then you should lose weight.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it can be slightly harder to ensure you are in a deficit if you eat a lot of pre-prepared foods that have uncertain number of calories.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. Google Twinkie diet. Would I want to be in your shoes twenty years on with your teeth, your skin, your pancreas, and your gut bacteria having eaten solely that way? Nope! But a fast food run that fits in your calorie plan a time or two a week is really nothing. Don't stress.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Why would you call perfectly good food "junk"? Is it rotten or spoiled?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You could eat nothing but junk and still lose weight. Calories, calories, calories.

I miss Hamburger Helper. I loved that stuff. Have a little extra for me! ;)
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If I eat McDonald's, Wendy's, hamburger helper, spaghetti, etc. BUT STAY WITHIN MY CALORIE GOAL will I still lose weight??

Sarcasm?? If yes, good one.
    A lot of push for calorie deficit but less nutrition talk. Sad!
  • Randy589
    Randy589 Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes, for sure. I eat McD once a week for sure, sometimes twice. I eat a small snack of Doritos or similar chips every night, and I still lost 30 lbs. It's all about total calories for the day and for me what worked was weighing out 50g of chips so I don't overeat those high cal items.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    anirud1 wrote: »

I take it you are against fast food
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Op yes you will lose weight. I still eat McDonald's but not as much as I used to
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Yes. But since these foods have lots of calories per serving, staying within your calories limit with a junk food based diet will probably mean feeling hungry a lot.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to one takeaway meal a week e.g McDonald's, Pizza or Chinese and have learnt to just eat smaller portions of those foods. I'm also not the healthiest eater and sometimes snack on bad foods like chips and brownies but have been working on cooking my own healthier foods/snack and it has been a great motivator!!
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    anirud1 wrote: »

I take it you are against fast food

Haha!
    No, I am not against fast food at all.
    Even my dietary intake is not 100% clean and I eat out (fast food) every now and then but do meet my nutrition goals set by MFP app.
    But when I see people replying by just one sentence everywhere regarding 'CICO' without mentioning about nutrition at all (even if they are aware of it and following themselves), I literally flip out.
    When we know it is a lifestyle change and sooner or later have to follow a proper 'nutritious' diet plan if want to make weight loss long term, why ignore nutrition part of the diet when advising someone.