finding a balance with alcohol

Options
I am in the beginning of my weight loss journey (down 28lbs of a 90lbs goal). I weigh myself often and try not to let the lack of changes discourage me.
I'm not a big drinker, in fact the first time I'vedrank in 5 years was last mmonth, then again yesterday. I see HUGE gains when I do. Last month my husband and I went away for our anniversary and I came home after 2 days to a 6lbs gain (i know mostly water weight) that took 6 days to lose. Today I am up 7lbs from yesterday(and not my daily fluctuations, mine tend to be about lbs).

Is there anything I can do when I drink to keep those numbers to a minimum?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you are not seeing huge gains

You are seeing fluctuations

In order to put on 7lbs of fat you would have to eat 24500 calories over your maintenance

Instead you are dehydrated causing an increase in water weight .. also you may well have loaded up on more sodium / carbs whilst drinking causing an increase in water weight

you may have put on a little fat - but it's not 7lbs
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make it a practice to drink a glass of water for each beer or glass of wine I have, and that tends to help a little with the swings from water and sodium levels. But I've never found a way to eliminate the short term weight fluctuations.
  • pepsicolaho
    pepsicolaho Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine do have a TON. I don't drink often because I really despise the taste. It thankfully never takes me more then4 drinks before I quit (hangovers are something I like to avoid lol). But even 4 drinks basically takes up my days calorie consumption, maybe a bit more even (220 calorie for the OJ and 70/80 for the vodka, per drink). Shots seem like it would be the best way to go, calorie wise, but gross.

And I know it's all water weight (or vast majority, I wouldn't possibly gain more than half a pound of fat when you factor in my food intake too), but it's still not sodium to spend the bulk of the week getting rid of it.

You find the water between drinks helps? We plan on going on vacation again later this month.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Know that fluctuations happen and avoid the scale the day after, if it's going to bother you.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have found pre-planning really helps if I know I am going out in the evenings, make it all fit into my daily calories. It can be frustrating when you have only allocated yourself two drinks and everyone else is getting drunk, but I just think which do I want more? Plus, I am terrible for binging when I have a hangover, so a night of drinking can easily see me blow two days completely.

Can you switch up your drink choices, diet coke instead of the OJ?

And also yes, drinking water or something diet and soft does help (for me anyway) so definitely good advice there!
  • pepsicolaho
    Options
    I have found pre-planning really helps if I know I am going out in the evenings, make it all fit into my daily calories. It can be frustrating when you have only allocated yourself two drinks and everyone else is getting drunk, but I just think which do I want more? Plus, I am terrible for binging when I have a hangover, so a night of drinking can easily see me blow two days completely.

Can you switch up your drink choices, diet coke instead of the OJ?

And also yes, drinking water or something diet and soft does help (for me anyway) so definitely good advice there!

I don't really have a drink of choice. Whatever masks the taste the best. Last time was Smirnoff Ice and Twisted tea. I thought I could cut calories this time but upping the alcohol content and using a bit of juice. But the stuff was still so gross I kept adding more juice lol.
  • pepsicolaho
    Options
    This will seem like an equally silly question, but how does exercise effect dehydration? Should I avoid the gym for a couple dates while my weight goes back?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Maybe try cutting down on the alcohol.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it's just temporary due to dehydration and probably high sodium from eating out

drink water to flush and rehydrate. you should be good

• SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Steer clear of high calorie drinks/mixers. I typically do vodka soda with extra lime (*or I just say calories be damned and drink a boatload of wine lol).

Or you make your own low cal drinks. Just order vodka over ice with a splash of water and then add some Mio flavoring yourself. No calories and tastes delicious!
  • LadyLallybroch
    LadyLallybroch Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You could just avoid the alcohol altogether - especially considering you don't like it. Or find a drink you like and actually get something out of all of these calories you're taking in. I enjoy a good craft beer. Usually only 150-200 calories, and very yummy. Though I don't drink to get drunk.

The few times I've had to drink spirits (work conference - not required, but kinda, lol), I preferred grapefruit with vodka. It definitely masks the alcohol, but also really tastes like grapefruit, so you'd have to like grapefruit.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think the bigger question here is why are you drinking it if you really don't like it? If you don't like it, then I say its not worth the calories and the temporary weight swings.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    7 lbs? I'd check your battery in your scale.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    dietstokes wrote: »
    I think the bigger question here is why are you drinking it if you really don't like it? If you don't like it, then I say its not worth the calories and the temporary weight swings.

was going to say this exact same thing!! why go through all of this worry and trouble for something you don't even like???
  • jubial
    jubial Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I diet, I stick to light beers! Michelob Ultra Amber for me.
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo what others have said and ask why are you drinking if you don't like it? I drink vodka mixed with a diet white soda (sprite, sierra mist, 7-up) or even a blue raspberry vodka mixed with one of those. I also found that Bud Select 55 is obviously only 55 calories per beer and less than 2 grams of carbs per bottle. Stay away from high calorie mixers like orange juice and stick to water or diet soda.
  • pepsicolaho
    Options
    I don't like the taste, but the affect is quite fun. :)
    The vodka and moo sounds like it may be a good option.
  • pepsicolaho
    Options
    It h

It had only happened the two times I've drank. I'm sure it's right and I'm just retaining a ton of fluid.
  • saladcrunchy
    saladcrunchy Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    It h

It had only happened the two times I've drank. I'm sure it's right and I'm just retaining a ton of fluid.

I have exactly the same issue - lots of differing opinions about why:
    Fluid retention
    hidden calories
    interference with sugar levels
    body giving priority to eliminating alcohol before processing anything else,
    disturbance of how fat is metabolized

Dunno, but it does seem to be something that happens to some folk and not others and so there must be all manner of physiological variables that contribute to it.

Bottom line is: if it affects you, there is probably no way around it and if that affects your quality of life, then it's a real bummer.

I tried experimenting with all sorts of amounts and eventually, the only thing that got the weight shifting steadily again was when I had at least 4 days alcohol free in a row and I could just about get away with two bottles of wine over a week end; one was better, none would be better still but then, you gotta live and I know that if a diet is too miserable, I am less likely to stick to it.

Experiment, cut back bit by bit; you may be lucky and able to have one small glass with a meal every day. Bodies are different, so are strengths' of will.

good luck