Christmas food plans!

Options

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    My plans for the holidays is as follows: Thanksgiving week average out so I am at maintenance. Christmas weekend eat whatever, log and move on. Eat slowly down to deficit after Christmas, maintenance New Years, splurge for my birthday dinner, resume eating slowly down to deficit starting January 10. Be back on a losing streak by January 20th.

That sounds so complicated!

I won't actually change my settings, this is the way it will work, may as well declare it as my plan.

Good for you! I'm sorry if my post sounded critical at all...I didn't mean to! I was more impressed that you are that planned out.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Just me and mom, I am the cook. Nothing special. I will make Turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole and some rolls for Thanksgiving. We get our servings and I freeze the rest till Christmas. Simple.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it, eat what I like for the day and get back on track after. I just bear in mind that Christmas is a day, not a whole season.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am in Australia Christmas means to us lots of wine, chocolate, seafood, BBQ and keeping cool for about a week.
    From now until Christmas there are no holidays. In the past Christmas has been mid December to mid January (my birthday is in mid January). Plus it's about 6-7 weeks of school holidays.
    For a plan is a must!! It's only less than 8 weeks until it all starts!
  • andihwc
    andihwc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I ate at maintenance for the two weeks surrounding the holidays, and ate whatever -and as much - as I wanted on Christmas day. It was fine.

Don't over think it.

This is my plan!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Easter, Fourth of July, and your birthday. That's six days out of the entire year. Don't 'plan out' those six days - just enjoy them. Eat what you want on those six days. No matter how much you eat on those six days, if you stick to your calorie goals for the rest of the year, you won't gain weight, I promise.
    And you'll enjoy the holidays and your birthday so much more.

What about Arbor Day? Think of the trees Cindy!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna eat exactly as I have been eating. So here's my plan. If it looks good I'll eat it. If it tastes really good I'll eat some more. When I'm full I'll stop. I'll be fine.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm gonna eat like I mean it, baby. Gonna eat like nobody's watching. Count on that!

Thanksgiving too!
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I'm gonna eat exactly as I have been eating. So here's my plan. If it looks good I'll eat it. If it tastes really good I'll eat some more. When I'm full I'll stop. I'll be fine.
    Like that plan
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    We never really did a huge meal on Christmas. My sister makes a lot of cookies, though. And I usually get candy as a gift. I'll just take it easy. Cookies and candy have never been problems for me.

Now Thanksgiving... I usually only eat the one meal, so we'll see. ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Christmas is a roast dinner

We have a roast dinner most Sundays

I fail to see the problem

We make roast carrots alongside the potatoes

I generally spend 7-900 calories on it

100-200g meat
    150-200g roast potatoes
    2 roast carrots
    Yorkshire pudding
    Cabbage, carrots or whatever vegetables
    Homemade gravy, mustard
    Ice cream

It's no biggy ...I honestly don't get the panic

If I tripled that food to allow for extra puddings it would easily be a maintenance day ...and saving a couple of hundred calories each day in the run up is your wine allowance
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Christmas used to be a really indulgent time for me. This year I am possibly lowering my goals to 1.5 pounds a week (normally 2 pounds) for the week of but I'm really going to try not to. I'll be on vacation in my home town with a gym less than a 5 minute walk from where I'm going to stay, so hopefully I can go every day other than the actual 25th to earn some extra calories.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Easter, Fourth of July, and your birthday. That's six days out of the entire year. Don't 'plan out' those six days - just enjoy them. Eat what you want on those six days. No matter how much you eat on those six days, if you stick to your calorie goals for the rest of the year, you won't gain weight, I promise.
    And you'll enjoy the holidays and your birthday so much more.

This. Also, I believe that it's not what you eat from Christmas to New Year's. It's what you eat from New Year's to Christmas that matters. IMO.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Everybody has different traditions. Just because it's "easy" for you, doesn't mean it's easy for everybody else. Christmas day for me is a breakfast, a roast at my grandparents, and Chinese food/finger foods at my great aunt's after. And Christmas Eve it's a lasagna dinner with my immediate family, with lots of pie afterward.

I typically eat three 350 calorie meals and snacks adding up to 250 calories. So for me to be able to the breakfast, the roast, and Chinese food (with sweets mixed in along the way) and stick to my 1300 calories would be difficult if I weren't weighing everything. Also, I'm not preparing all the food so I can only estimate, and without my scale I am very poor at determining portion sizes.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat a smaller deficit the days leading up to christmas and maintenance for the 23rd though to the 27th. I'll work my way down again from that. Christmas is my favourite time of year so I refuse to stress about it or deprive myself :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Everybody has different traditions. Just because it's "easy" for you, doesn't mean it's easy for everybody else. Christmas day for me is a breakfast, a roast at my grandparents, and Chinese food/finger foods at my great aunt's after. And Christmas Eve it's a lasagna dinner with my immediate family, with lots of pie afterward.

I typically eat three 350 calorie meals and snacks adding up to 250 calories. So for me to be able to the breakfast, the roast, and Chinese food (with sweets mixed in along the way) and stick to my 1300 calories would be difficult if I weren't weighing everything. Also, I'm not preparing all the food so I can only estimate, and without my scale I am very poor at determining portion sizes.

Wow

Tradition of 3 distinct major meals in one day

Just wow

If I'm having a dinner party I never eat a big other meal, and you've got 3

I can see the issue

Who has room and time though? Christmas lunch lasts about 5 hours IME
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of approaches, but I hear you: I like to have a plan too! These are my priorities:
    1) there's a lot of calendaring around additional opportunities to eat; I will remind myself to calendar as many extra opportunities to be active.
    2) you know that saying 'not my circus, not my monkeys'... substitute 'not my fruitcake, not my sugar cookies.' I resent when I eat things out of obligation, just to be polite. I'm practicing getting really good at smiling brightly and saying 'oh, that looks really lovely! But no thank you.' I just want to enjoy the best of my personal favorites this holiday season, and pass on the rest!
    3) be a macro-manager! I feel best when I get all my protein and fiber. I run better on low sugars. I will make sure I'm meeting those needs first.
    4) maintenance is my friend. A holiday plateau beats a holiday gain by miles!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,132 Member
    Options
    Christmas is coming up in like 10 weeks. What plans do you have?

I'm going to make Pavlova ... and I've just seen a photograph of a chocolate Pavlova that looked so incredibly good. If I can manage it, I'm going to make a chocolate Pavlova. :grin:

Oh, and by then I'll be on maintenance and cycling lots in the lovely summer weather. :)

• SopranoSongbird
    SopranoSongbird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do Christmas with a low-fat, lower calorie outlook. If you're preparing the food yourself, you know exactly what is in it and how big a portion should be. The difficulty comes with food eaten out of the home and all the sweets and chocolates that are everywhere.
    Rosemary Conley's Christmas recipes are great - you can eat everything (three meals, and some alcohol) and still keep within a reasonable calorie allowance. Her philosophy is strongly based on no more than 5% fat, so that automatically cuts the calories - she has even published recipes for lower-fat roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings. Have a look on the magazine racks for the Christmas issue of her magazine (should be in the UK shops anytime now) or there are some recipes available on the website without subscription.
    I wish you luck. There is no harm in planning ahead of time, after all Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I spend Christmas Day with just my husband so I don't tend to make a huge dinner but we'll have Christmas pudding too. I love baking but I tend to gift quite a lot of my mince pies and gingerbread etc. to family and friends so I don't eat them all. Not making Christmas cake this year as my Christmas pudding is just too lush to compare that I'll probably make two. A few glasses of wine and some fizz too. Lots of brisk winter walks and maybe join in the Christmas swim on the beach (no wetsuits). I love food at Christmas and baking it so I won't be forgoing it, just portion control.