Christmas food plans!

Options

Replies

• dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You can do Christmas with a low-fat, lower calorie outlook. If you're preparing the food yourself, you know exactly what is in it and how big a portion should be. The difficulty comes with food eaten out of the home and all the sweets and chocolates that are everywhere.
    Rosemary Conley's Christmas recipes are great - you can eat everything (three meals, and some alcohol) and still keep within a reasonable calorie allowance. Her philosophy is strongly based on no more than 5% fat, so that automatically cuts the calories - she has even published recipes for lower-fat roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings. Have a look on the magazine racks for the Christmas issue of her magazine (should be in the UK shops anytime now) or there are some recipes available on the website without subscription.
    I wish you luck. There is no harm in planning ahead of time, after all Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!
    You can plan - if you're the one cooking. I intend to be the cook, even though my mum is hosting. It's part of my Xmas pressie to her! You know, it does sound like us Brits have less to worry about at Christmas - after all, it's just a supersized Sunday roast dinner, and we already know how to make that fit into our numbers! For me, a meat and veg dinner is so easy to make fit into what I need, even if I've not cooked the meal. The meat is roasted, not fried - and if it's turkey, the white meat (no skin) is such an easy pick. There's always veg that's been boiled/steamed etc - so pick that. Then treat yourself for the rest of the plate - on Xmas Day, for me, it's the chipolata sausages, a bit of stuffing and a couple of spoons of gravy. Of course, you have to estimate cals, but that's doable IMO. Dessert, well, you either have it as your treat, or eat the bowl of satsumas that no one else touches for the entire Xmas period!!! ;) For me, it's the Boxing Day buffets that are the killer! However, with buffets, I can control exactly what lands on my plate, and my extended family eat healthily enough that there'll always be a plain salad bowl, and a fruit platter laid out, and I'll just have tiny bits of the yummy stuff!

If people are looking for tips, I'd suggest just decide if you're going to have a blow-out day, or if you're going to bank calories that week to save for the big day. Either one is a totally viable option. I've not decided, although it's 10 weeks tomorrow, I've got time! if you're moving from house to house on an extended party day, I wonder if you pick one of those mealtimes to restrict yourself (breakfast would be my choice), one to blowout (the main event), and one to have a little and then stop (finger foods are easy to put a few things on your plate, and make them last much longer than everyone else gorging!). And, as someone else said, practice saying 'no thank you, I'm full'! It's not the height of rudeness to refuse food - truly! You may shock some people (and family members can be relied on for making those awful comments), but grow a thick skin between now and Xmas, and ignore them!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it. Moderation of all things. Maybe a few extra cookies.
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving , christmas and new years are only one day each. I will treat every day before and after the same. Those holidays will be anything I want day, but limited to 500 cal above my maintain weight. As an extra precaution, I will increase my exercise on weeks before and after.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    groan! someone mentioned the C word already ;)

I don't log on vacation/Christmas....life is for living and shouldn't be always about counting cals - I just get back to watching how much I eat afterwards. I've been maintaining my weight loss for 2+ years now :smile: .
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about all of the halloween candy right now lol!
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Then again, I'm eating to fix my health issues, so it might be easier to stay away from it since I know it will make me feel horrible for a couple of days.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve are all no counting days. Its a few more days than I would normally be comfortable with in the time span, but it still works out fine for me.

What matters more is what I do on all the other days those months. I stick to my calorie goal and fit treats in when I can.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Christmas is coming up in like 10 weeks. What plans do you have?
    Do you give your self extra calories?
    Do you blow it?
    Do you hide from food?
    We just had school holidays and I didn't think about having a food plan before going into it and I wished I did.
    So for Christmas I am going to have a Big plan. What are your ideas?

I am not going to be counting calories at either Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners. I will prepare for both days by working out more and eating at a larger deficit shortly before and after, but I am not going to be concerned if I over eat at dinner. Nothing compares to my Mom's turkey dinners, I look forward to them all year and they only happen twice lol. It's not going to undo everything I've worked for thus far :)
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yeah I won't be logging on Christmas eve or Christmas, that time is meant for family and giving presents + eating yummy food! I just try not to go TOO crazy!
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    For Thanksgiving, well, I'm having surgery (minor, but it's still abdominal) two days before and I'll be restricted in movement (so no heavy exercise) for 1-2 weeks so I'm going to eat at maintenance on Thanksgiving and then at a deficit until Christmas day. I plan to eat at maintenance on Christmas Day as well.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Christmas is coming up in like 10 weeks. What plans do you have?
    Do you give your self extra calories?
    Do you blow it?
    Do you hide from food?
    We just had school holidays and I didn't think about having a food plan before going into it and I wished I did.
    So for Christmas I am going to have a Big plan. What are your ideas?

I am still thinking about Halloween food. :o
    Last Christmas I planned a meal that fit my calorie goal pretty well. I enjoyed it. It wasn't difficult.
    Planning is great but don't stress too much. Having a day where you eat at maintenance is fine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I will eat more than usual on some days and not on others. Christmas isn't the only occasion where I overeat and it doesn't affect my overall weight control plans to splurge now and then. My life is full of food related events. I'd be a mess if I stressed over all them. I just do what I need to do to enjoy the occasions and keep a deficit over time.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat whatever I want!! It's just one meal, but I'm not going to over stuff myself. I'm sure going to enjoy it. :)
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I start the Claus diet. It was gifted to me last year under the tree. Consists of milk, cookies and meat.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I first have to tackle my kids Halloween bags, then business travel (free food every day), then Thanksgiving, and a couple buckets of cookies before even thinking about Christmas.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    my food plan is "portion control"

I'm going to enjoy every damn bite
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Christmas? We just made it through Columbus day. You must be a retailer by trade.
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about all of the halloween candy right now lol!

And... what she said!

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Yeah I already started watching Mr. Magoo's A Christmas Carol.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Halloween is not a thing in Australia so I don't need to plan for that. We do have some chocolate at the door for that one person who comes knocking. Like once every 3 years!