Why do many here not consider themselves runners despite running regularly?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Leyshinka wrote: »
    When is one considered a runner? Or rather when would you consider yourself a runner?

I consider anyone who has either succeeded in sh*tting themselves in the middle of a run, or at least been forced to pull over and take care of the problem behind a bush, to be a real runner. Until you have that experience, I am not sure I can call you a "real runner" yet.

;)

I have yet to do this- but I've been precariously close- my GI tract really has a hard time with the running sometimes- so I regularly run with baby wipes and am prepared to step to the side to handle business. #thatawkardsprinttounlockthedoortogetbackinside

Interesting discussion- I personally will tell others "if you run- you're a runner"

but I really don't consider myself a runner- mostly because while I like doing it- (mostly) it isn't my passion- lifting is my passion- not running. Running is like a side gig LOL

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Being a runner is a state of mind, if you lace up the sneakers & head out the door (or hop on the treadmill) you're a runner if you think you are (no matter how fast or how far).

I row (indoors) as x-training for my running, while I enjoy it and row about 30km per week on average I don't think of myself as a rower.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    fiddletime wrote: »
    If you start assigning a level of skill to an activity then who is the judge? Slower runners are still runners. If nobody lost a race we wouldn't have a winner of a race. It takes all levels. You can be a musician, a reporter, a writer, and don't have to be great at it, or even very good. I used to be a "hard core" runner. That was the term I used which doesn't mean anything really, but does give some idea of my level of commitment and passion to running at that time.

All that means is that there's some ambiguity. Such is life. Distinctions aren't always crystal clear.

Asking "Who is the judge?" presumes that because there is no sharp dividing line that everyone is forced to agree on, we must therefore avoid drawing any distinctions. Obviously, that's foolish. You can't really claim to be a writer without a baseline level of skill; otherwise, everyone past the second grade should consider himself a "writer."

I'm not saying that we must all be in complete agreement about who is a runner and who is not. However, I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to say that she runs on occasion -- or perhaps even regularly -- and yet isn't considered a runner. It's the same way someone can incorporate weight training into one's exercise program without being considered a weightlifter. Or the way people can sing off-key in the shower without being considered a singer.

At what point would YOU then consider someone to be a runner?

That is a good question. Honestly, I'm not sure. I do know that I don't consider myself to be one, even though I try to put in a good amount of mileage and have a good amount of running endurance.

As a rough and ready rule, I'd say that a runner is someone who greatly enjoys running, who puts in a lot of mileage on a regular basis, who plans his or her life around running, and who moves at more than just a jogging pace. I know that this doesn't create a crystal clear demarcation line between runners and non-runners, but I'm okay with that. As I said, I don't get hung up on making sharp distinctions in cases like this.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I know a guy who regularly goes out for a 5 mile run, 4 or 5 days a week. He runs around an 8:30 mile for those 5 miles. He doesn't consider himself a runner. Why? Because he says he just goes out for exercise.

I have a friend who is barely capable of maintaining 11:00 miles, but I consider her a runner. Why? Because she goes out for the specific enjoyment of going for a run.

• mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I started wishing I was running on my off days I had to come to the conclusion that I am a runner.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka Baby wipes here too. Or at least willing to sacrifice a sock.

I am officially a runner- I have scars from thigh chaffing and blisters, and one wired toenail.

I think the OP should take up running. You'll know when it defines you.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I think I'm begrudgingly finding myself more and more into the category- mostly because I find myself saying things like
    "I planned for 3 and ran 4- oh well whoops"

and
    "it was just the half" (I've never run a full- but I still consider it "just a half")
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I think I'm begrudgingly finding myself more and more into the category- mostly because I find myself saying things like
    "I planned for 3 and ran 4- oh well whoops"

and
    "it was just the half" (I've never run a full- but I still consider it "just a half")

Yeah. That feeling when you're trying to bump your long run up by another mile and end up adding 3...
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @JoRocka Baby wipes here too. Or at least willing to sacrifice a sock.

I am officially a runner- I have scars from thigh chaffing and blisters, and one wired toenail.

I think the OP should take up running. You'll know when it defines you.

I do consider myself to be a runner simply because its an activity I do regularly. I run atleast 3 times a week about 5K be it on a treadmill or outside( prefer the latter). I don't particularly enjoy long distance running because I am a sprinter by nature but there is a feeling I get after a run that is so worth the effort.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    This thread is making me impatient for my run tonight.
  • starryeyedsnoozer
    starryeyedsnoozer Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 times a week. I've only been doing it a few months and I'm horribly slow. I really love it though (although at the time I think I'm going to die)
    I can't refer to myself as a "runner" because I'm worried that if I do people who run marathons will consider it a huge insult to be bracketed with such a rookie as me, or mock me. Last night I was chatting to a good friend of mine who runs marathons, and I could feel myself getting redder and redder while he asked me about my run that day (it was 5 miles, so fairly respectable for me... But a mere warm up for him)
    So I just say "I run" or even "I jog" that way, I look less of a tool.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I run 3-4 times a week. I've only been doing it a few months and I'm horribly slow. I really love it though (although at the time I think I'm going to die)
    I can't refer to myself as a "runner" because I'm worried that if I do people who run marathons will consider it a huge insult to be bracketed with such a rookie as me, or mock me. Last night I was chatting to a good friend of mine who runs marathons, and I could feel myself getting redder and redder while he asked me about my run that day (it was 5 miles, so fairly respectable for me... But a mere warm up for him)

That friend of yours was once at a point where 5 miles was an unattainable distance.
  • starryeyedsnoozer
    starryeyedsnoozer Posts: 89 Member
    Options

That friend of yours was once at a point where 5 miles was an unattainable distance.

Good point. Never really thought about it like that
  • JoRocka
    Options

no one working on improving themselves and their passion is a tool. And anyone who judges you for doing so is the real tool.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

That's the great thing about running. It doesn't matter if you can run 1 mile or have worked up to 20, the sense of achievement when you manage to go further/faster/something that was once difficult feels comfortable is the same.
    Whenever I've taken part in Parkruns or races, the sense of community is great.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

no one working on improving themselves and their passion is a tool. And anyone who judges you for doing so is the real tool.

where is the "like" button for this comment!!!

The topic of this thread captured my attention... So after reading through this, I can positively clarify that I am a runner.. Any way you call it or slice or dice it, I am a Runner. :) I am somebody... :)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    When is one considered a runner? Or rather when would you consider yourself a runner?

I consider anyone who has either succeeded in sh*tting themselves in the middle of a run, or at least been forced to pull over and take care of the problem behind a bush, to be a real runner. Until you have that experience, I am not sure I can call you a "real runner" yet.

;)

Well I guess I've earned my brown wings... BTW, using a hydration pack as a bidet works better than using leaves.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I read a post on farcebook last night that was an opportunity to do a race in a few weeks time, and my response was I can run a half then, no problem. I find myself in the company of people saying the same thing about marathons and ultras. To me they're proper runners, I'm just a bit of a hack.

It's all relative.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Self deprecation seem to been pretty common among folks making what they consider to be big changes. Folks who were never really in shape have a hard time now seeing themselves as athletic. Folks who never in a million years thought they would run have a hard time accepting "I"m a runner". It just doesn't fit their internal dialogue.

Similarly, you see it a lot in the success forums when someone posts something like "I lost 50 pounds, I know it's not as much as others and I'm not a success yet but I am happy with this so far". They minimize their accomplishment because it's just a hard mindset to change. Hell, I'm now 124 lbs and I deadlift just under twice my body weight and I still have a hard time calling myself fit.

I know this isn't the case for everyone but I do think it's pretty common.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I am a Husband and a Daddy who runs. Not a runner, but a Husband and a Daddy. I run, I garden, I play golf (in reality golf plays me), I go to work, I do all sorts of things. I am not an all sort of thingser, I am a Husband and a Daddy.

Thus, my answer to the original question.