"weight loss supplements"

Options

Replies

• ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This question and the other thread have got me thinking about people who are looking for that miracle short cut to weight loss. I have wondered if there is a correlation between that and get rich quick schemes. Are people who are likely to buy into the hype of quick fixes to weight loss also likely to get sucked into the get rich quick schemes? And there seems to be a proliferation of "businesses" that combine both.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    There are fat blocker pills, but if you want to go that route I'd suggest getting a prescription from your doctor.

It seems I heard something recently about carb blocker pills but I think they were in testing and not yet approved (in the US). I'm not sure. I wasn't interested much so didn't pay much attention.

Wraps for weight loss have been around for decades. Usually all they do is make you sweat so you lose a little water weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here since it seems like someone might need a refresher on what warrants a flag...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm just going to leave this here since it seems like someone might need a refresher on what warrants a flag...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points

It too bad you can't flag the flagger... I did not get the reason for those flags at all... had to be troll..
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

It too bad you can't flag the flagger... I did not get the reason for those flags at all... had to be troll..

Shhh...let's be troll hunters!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    There are fat blocker pills, but if you want to go that route I'd suggest getting a prescription from your doctor.

It seems I heard something recently about carb blocker pills but I think they were in testing and not yet approved (in the US). I'm not sure. I wasn't interested much so didn't pay much attention.

Wraps for weight loss have been around for decades. Usually all they do is make you sweat so you lose a little water weight.

I'd recommend some adult diapers if one were to go the "fat blocking" pill route.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Shhh...let's be troll hunters!

No time for troll hunting today.. but the "flag" thing caught my eye..

While I am here I will comment on supplements... I will say that once upon a time I may have tried a thing or two, but I am too old to waste time on quick fixes that are in my mind waste... My motto are:

"If it too good to be true, then it is" and "free is never free"...

Save your money guys, a proper diet, exercise and making wise choices is all you need.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    There are very few effective weight loss drugs currently on the market, and all of them have serious side effects.

Believe me, obesity is a serious problem for our society today. If someone invented a truly effective drug for it they would probably be in the news for a Nobel prize, and everyone you know would be taking it and no one you know would be fat.
  • musthavescentscanada
    Options
    I am a Scentsy girl and see the ItWorks peeps and various other Shake/Magic Weight Loss/Pill at most shows and fairs I attend.
    Interestingly, the reps from year to year are never the same. I don't think these folks stay in business once their customers don't get the "miraculous results" promised. ;)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    NPR reported, "Tens of thousands of Americans are treated in hospital emergency rooms each year for problems caused by dietary supplements,...

The complications include heart problems such as irregular or rapid heartbeat or chest pain, says Dr. Andrew Geller of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who led the study published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine."
    Here is the link to the journal article.
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1504267
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

I'd recommend some adult diapers if one were to go the "fat blocking" pill route.

That may be a good idea. I have heard of rather unpleasant side effects.
  • adhebert8
    adhebert8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There are very few effective weight loss drugs currently on the market, and all of them have serious side effects.

Believe me, obesity is a serious problem for our society today. If someone invented a truly effective drug for it they would probably be in the news for a Nobel prize, and everyone you know would be taking it and no one you know would be fat.

I took a prescribed medication called Qsymia for quite some time and lost 140lbs.. It was very very expensive ($500 a month with discount) and it made my fingers and toes numb. And by golly when I quit taking the pill I gained ALL the weight back in less than 6 months.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    From the NYT yesterday: Dietary Supplements Lead to 20,000 E.R. Visits Yearly, Study Finds

In particular:
    "More than a quarter of the emergency room visits occurred among people ages 20 to 34, and half of these cases were caused by a supplement that was marketed for weight loss or energy enhancement, commonly producing symptoms like chest pain, heart palpitations and irregular heart rhythms."
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'll bet in the majority of those cases, the "supplements" were being abused rather than taken as directed.

If someone is desperate enough to try them, I could easily see this happening.

That's one behavior that contributed to the ephedra ban.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    From the NYT yesterday: Dietary Supplements Lead to 20,000 E.R. Visits Yearly, Study Finds

In particular:
    "More than a quarter of the emergency room visits occurred among people ages 20 to 34, and half of these cases were caused by a supplement that was marketed for weight loss or energy enhancement, commonly producing symptoms like chest pain, heart palpitations and irregular heart rhythms."

We used to call it 'speed' in my day. It is quite effective. If you don't die.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am a Scentsy girl and see the ItWorks peeps and various other Shake/Magic Weight Loss/Pill at most shows and fairs I attend.
    Interestingly, the reps from year to year are never the same. I don't think these folks stay in business once their customers don't get the "miraculous results" promised. ;)

I attend quite a few farmers markets where I sell my all natural homemade lip balm :)

I see the It Works people there too. The before & after pics always make me chuckle because the lighting is never the same nor is the angle of which the picture is taken.

I admit I've taken the green tea supplements and *hangs my head* I've even tried PGX. I firmly believe that this is something I will do on my own even though Im very slow to lose any weight. I can do it !!! Without all the hype from these products.

My friend had an online party for this It Works junk...I couldn't believe how many people signed up for it.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    People want a quick fix. In a society where everything happens fast and you can order just about anything online and get it quickly, the idea that it takes a long time to lose weight is very discourging to some people. So when someone comes along and says 'hey, this item will make you lose 30 pounds in just a month!', people want to believe it's true.
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a massage therapist who pushed those body wraps. I do believe if you have a special occasion and want to look an inch or two slimmer it isn't going to harm you if you can afford it. Of course as soon as you are well hydrated again you bloat out but you will measure thinner after the wrap and look better in your outfit. I never spent my time or money on it but think that it is harmless.

Now the article quoted on dietary supplements did not just apply to weight loss - METHODS
    We used nationally representative surveillance data from 63 emergency departments obtained from 2004 through 2013 to describe visits to U.S. emergency departments because of adverse events related to dietary supplements.----I know a college student who was hospitalized for taking caffeine pills to stay up to study on top of drinking coffee and got heart palpitations. I know other students hospitalized from drinking too many caffeine drinks. Almost anything is dangerous in excess.

Heck I love essential oils and went to a Young Living presentation and had to bite my tongue when the rep was telling people to ingest essential oils - you can damage your liver PERMANENTLY. She kept saying no one is here from the FDA right? The FDA has banned them from their false claims.There are so many positives to essential oils but you have to know what you are doing if you are ingesting them and typically there aren't many you should be. You can overdose on common everyday vitamins and harm yourself as well.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    it really makes me wonder about the before & after pics when the time frame between pictures is only around 48 hours...baffles my mind !!!!...

It's not uncommon for there to be a longer time frame for results that they are claiming. I've also heard where progress pictures have been reversed so what you think is a 'before' is really 'after'.

Here's a great example of how 'before' and 'after' pictures can be faked - he actually shot the 'after' picture first, then the 'before' picture about 5 hours later (advisory - mild NSFW language): Shocking Before and After Fitness Transformation in 5 hours EXPOSED!

Don't believe everything you see/read. The health/fitness industry is a multi-billion dollar ripoff/scam, preying upon desperate people who want to believe there's a magic pill. Unfortunately, the magic pill doesn't exist, but as long as people keep believing and buying the products, the snake oil peddlers will continue producing them - and getting filthy rich in the process.
  • cattivosorriso
    cattivosorriso Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I sell ItWorks so I'm biased, but I do have to say the wraps only work on *some* people. I've never seen results from them, but my mom loves them for her chin and she gets real results. I honestly don't understand why the wraps are the "bread and butter" of the company, because they have other products that seem to work a lot better and more consistently across various groups. For example, I stopped drinking caffeine when I started taking the thermofit. Keeps me more focused, without the shakes, and is cheaper than my coffee/redbull habit was! I feel like a lot of their products lose face because of the inconsistent results of the wraps :(