Do 5x5 programs work?? Want to increase Bench & DL

Options
Would like to increase my bench for reps and deadlift..

Currently banch 225 4xs after warmup and deadlift 315 7xs after warmups..

want that 225 10x and 405 deadlift 3xs should I try 5x5 or try something else

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How is your form overall?

Most 5x5 programs will start at low weight and are really geared toward beginning lifters more than experienced lifters.

That said, they do work as long as you can keep up the progressive overload. But if you are experienced, which it seems you are, you might want to move beyond a straight 5x5 to something a little more advanced.

For example, my original move was from Stronglifts to Greyskull LP and I found it to be a good transition. I work with a trainer now doing an upper/lower power/volume split 4x/week and am still seeing gains on this style of program.

*edited for stupid spelling mistakes.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I was told tonight when I benched 225 4xs that I was not using my legs and it looked like I was not exploding up.

so I was given some pointers and told to squeeze butt and push with legs keep back arched more...
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Definitely. If you get a bit of an arch in there, no need to go crazy, it transfers the angle of the lift enough to alter the primary muscles in use somewhat. This will give you more power throughout the entire lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T9UQ4FBVXI

Here's Rippetoe talking about the bench form. I think he hits the arch and leg activation around the 13 minute mark.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm literally reading about 5x5 stronglifts now. I lost my weight entirely from calorie counting which I kinda regret as I'm still weak and I'd like to change that.
  • CardiLuxe
    CardiLuxe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Damn that's huge man! I do 3x5 225 then 2x5 205 and end it off with a nice 185x15-20 or two. Works great for me. I'll move up. But that's just me. :P
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    CardiLuxe wrote: »
    Damn that's huge man! I do 3x5 225 then 2x5 205 and end it off with a nice 185x15-20 or two. Works great for me. I'll move up. But that's just me. :P

Personally, I feel like you've got your set's and reps backward.

Consider trying 185x15, 205x10, 225x5 or something like that. Odds are you'll see better results in the long run. Get your warm up in there first... if you've got enough left to do a 15 to 20 rep set at the end, you aren't pushing hard enough to see growth that's anywhere near optimal if you are an average person.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options

You benchin that weight?
  • DaddieCat
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm literally reading about 5x5 stronglifts now. I lost my weight entirely from calorie counting which I kinda regret as I'm still weak and I'd like to change that.

Stronglifts is a great beginner program, although the power clean can be a bit tricky to master without a coach. Also hard to accomplish without the correct setup and bumper plates.

I'd highly recommend, unless you have access to an oly gym, that you read starting strength from beginning to end, and then do stronglifts 5x5 with the knowledge gained from Stronglifts. Just my two cents as it will be easier to accomplish in most commercial gyms.

*edited for more stupid spelling mistakes.
  • CardiLuxe
    CardiLuxe Posts: 89 Member
    Options

You benchin that weight?

No-no Lol just deadlift.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

You benchin that weight?

She's benching that weight and she is one of the best benchers in the world, and massive props.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    5x5 is great but if you want a more intermediate program, Wendler's 5/3/1 is a good option as well. I not quite a noob anymore and I stall on 5x5.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    5x5 is great but if you want a more intermediate program, Wendler's 5/3/1 is a good option as well. I not quite a noob anymore and I stall on 5x5.

are you stalling on all your lifts? I'm stalling on my squats (have deloaded 3 times in the past 6-8 weeks) but not my other lifts...are you going to switch?
  • arditarose
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »

are you stalling on all your lifts? I'm stalling on my squats (have deloaded 3 times in the past 6-8 weeks) but not my other lifts...are you going to switch?

Yeah, everything. Dead lift not quite as much though. I've also been in a deficit for 7 weeks or so, so it's catching up to me. I'm trying to get into maintenance then a bulk, so I'll probably just see what I can do over the next couple weeks then go back to PHUL
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    thats another point while on a diet eating on a deficit are gains practical anyways

• DaddieCat
    Options
    thats another point while on a diet eating on a deficit are gains practical anyways

Yes and no. You can potentially gain strength, you won't gain mass unless you're eating at a surplus.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

Wendler's is another great program, but what 5x5 were you doing? Mehdi's Stronglifts 5x5, which is one of the more common, evolves into a 5,3,1 after sufficient stalls if you follow the plan as written.
  • arditarose
    Options

Wendler's is another great program, but what 5x5 were you doing? Mehdi's Stronglifts 5x5, which is one of the more common, evolves into a 5,3,1 after sufficient stalls if you follow the plan as written.

Yeah I'm doing Mehdi's. I should look into that. I'm not really planning on being on it for much longer.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    He added it into the android app about a year ago, but I think maybe you had to pay extra for it. I haven't used it in a while so I'm not even sure how the app is laid out any longer. I know that he was changing the program to add accessory exercises such as pull ups, dips and other things like that pretty frequently for a while there. I think he may have even added in some optional "finishers" at one point. His program is pretty fluid as his clientele and experience with training others grows.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    well I will work on my form... and eat heavy the day before next time. I have not been focusing on increasing my weights until this week.
  • arditarose
    Options
    He added it into the android app about a year ago, but I think maybe you had to pay extra for it. I haven't used it in a while so I'm not even sure how the app is laid out any longer. I know that he was changing the program to add accessory exercises such as pull ups, dips and other things like that pretty frequently for a while there. I think he may have even added in some optional "finishers" at one point. His program is pretty fluid as his clientele and experience with training others grows.

I kind of glanced over that stuff but I was just starting so didn't really need it at the time. I also cut out all accessory work so wasn't concerned with that either. Glad I ran the program though, wish I had done it before Wendler's. Whoops.