Anyone with Pcos?

Options
I was diagnosed with pcos at the age of 17. I'm 26 now and have gained 100 lbs since being diagnosed. I'm now trying to lose 130 lbs and I could use any tips, advice and support as I can get. Add me please.

Replies

• ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me. I, too have PCOS. Also, Washington thyroiditis. They tend to go hand in hand. I've gained 100# in only 2 years. I am working hard on fighting this seemingly losing battle. On metformin, it levels the playing field a bit. Doesn't make me LOSE weight though. I felt for the longest time this was a death sentence. But now, I am convinced there's NOTHING the body can't heal. Add me as a friend if you'd like.

Good luck on your journey :)
  • michela1030
    michela1030 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have PCOS and have been on metformin for over a year now. However, it has not helped me lose any weight at all.
    What really helped me lose weight was a change in my diet and lifestyle. I used to weigh 160lbs (5'7.5 in height) and got down to 130 lbs within 6 months. I have maintained this weight for over 3 years and honestly, once you get used to the changes in your diet and lifestyle, it becomes very easy to maintain a healthy weight.

Some changes that I've made in my diet:

1. Cut out dairy products and red meat and increased my intake of lean fish like tuna.
    2. Cut out white sugar, oil and white flour.
    3. Increased my intake of fruit and vegetables (the more fibre the better).
    4. Made low-fat protein choices such as tuna in springwater and red kidney beans.
    5. Increased my intake of water.
    6. Ate fruit for breakfast everyday, e.g. plums, apples, grapes, berries, etc.
    7. Switched my top 2 go to lunches/dinners with (a) a tuna salad and (b) steamed vegetables with brown rice.
    8. Switched white products with their brown counterparts (e.g. brown rice instead of white rice, whole-wheat instead of regular wheat).
    9. Exercised for 30-45 minutes a day doing some form of cardio like jogging/walking, using the elliptical, jumping rope etc.

I also studied the science of self-control (you can read about this on wikipedia) and learnt that the prefrontal cortex in our brain is responsible for self-control (somehow this helped increase my self control).

Making these healthy lifestyle changes will benefit you in the long run and it's something that we all should be doing, so don't let anyone bring you down for eating healthy!

Hope this helps :smile:

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I have read several posts and comments in MFP by people who have PCOS and many say that following a law carb diet has helped them:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • ALMOSTkickedpcos
    ALMOSTkickedpcos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I myself, suffers from PCOS but has almost overcome it now. It does require a lot extra push to lose. This one here, it might be helpful to all :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10264570/ones-fighting-pcos#latest
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos at the age of 17. I'm 26 now and have gained 100 lbs since being diagnosed. I'm now trying to lose 130 lbs and I could use any tips, advice and support as I can get. Add me please.

Count calories, increase physical activity, be patient, and you will lose. PCOS symptoms will get much better as you lose weight.
  • Obsidyan
    Obsidyan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yup. Have had it a long time and weight is way up. I'll join you on this journey!
  • jaewow
    jaewow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and I'm fighting to loss over 100lbs. I sent you a friend request if you want to have another person for motivation. In the last two weeks I've lost 8lbs which is 2% of my body fat. We can do this together and fight PCOS.
  • Lathandria
    Lathandria Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, random question. I was curious how you found out you had pcos or how you bring it up with your doctor? I don't have pcos, but I recently did some google searching about missed periods since my last period was at the end of May. (I have taken two pregnancy tests and they both were negative) During my search I saw that could be a symptom of pcos so I looked further and it seems I have a lot of the symptoms listed. I have a doctors appointment on November 2nd with my pcp, but didn't know how to bring it up to where she will take me seriously. Any advice?
  • MelanieHilling
    MelanieHilling Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lathandria wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, random question. I was curious how you found out you had pcos or how you bring it up with your doctor? I don't have pcos, but I recently did some google searching about missed periods since my last period was at the end of May. (I have taken two pregnancy tests and they both were negative) During my search I saw that could be a symptom of pcos so I looked further and it seems I have a lot of the symptoms listed. I have a doctors appointment on November 2nd with my pcp, but didn't know how to bring it up to where she will take me seriously. Any advice?

Hi Lathandria,

There are two different things, PCO and PCOS - the latter is a syndrome and its super common. Doctors can tell by blood tests (high levels of certain hormones), and at first mine suggested it to me just from hearing my symptoms. I bought a book about managing PCOS in every day diet/life but so much of it is common sense, as the people above have said. I have PCOS but don't really think about it much, even though it is probably making my weight loss harder.
    I lost around 40lbs 6 or 7 years ago, have fluctuated since then, and am now trying to shift around another 40.

PM me if you want to talk more about your symptoms, managing it, or your doctor's reaction.
  • preciousliam
    preciousliam Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have PCOS and have been on metformin for over a year now. However, it has not helped me lose any weight at all.
    What really helped me lose weight was a change in my diet and lifestyle. I used to weigh 160lbs (5'7.5 in height) and got down to 130 lbs within 6 months. I have maintained this weight for over 3 years and honestly, once you get used to the changes in your diet and lifestyle, it becomes very easy to maintain a healthy weight.

Some changes that I've made in my diet:

1. Cut out dairy products and red meat and increased my intake of lean fish like tuna.
    2. Cut out white sugar, oil and white flour.
    3. Increased my intake of fruit and vegetables (the more fibre the better).
    4. Made low-fat protein choices such as tuna in springwater and red kidney beans.
    5. Increased my intake of water.
    6. Ate fruit for breakfast everyday, e.g. plums, apples, grapes, berries, etc.
    7. Switched my top 2 go to lunches/dinners with (a) a tuna salad and (b) steamed vegetables with brown rice.
    8. Switched white products with their brown counterparts (e.g. brown rice instead of white rice, whole-wheat instead of regular wheat).
    9. Exercised for 30-45 minutes a day doing some form of cardio like jogging/walking, using the elliptical, jumping rope etc.

I also studied the science of self-control (you can read about this on wikipedia) and learnt that the prefrontal cortex in our brain is responsible for self-control (somehow this helped increase my self control).

Making these healthy lifestyle changes will benefit you in the long run and it's something that we all should be doing, so don't let anyone bring you down for eating healthy!

Hope this helps :smile:

Great Tips! Congratulations on your weightloss and also keeping it off!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    There are threads about PCOS every day or two here. I'd never heard of it till I joined in April!

Try using the Search function for a wealth of information!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search

Best wishes.
  • sassy_rivera
    sassy_rivera Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Pcos girl here too. Gyno advised low carb real foods and low sugar to keep my body happy. Would love to add friends! Getting restarted. Lost 20# not trying to hard over the past 6 months..
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, going to see my doctor on Nov4th about PCOS- for those of you who have lost weight- did you lose weight just by counting calories using MFP (did you eat the calories allocated to you on MFP or did you have to eat way less?) and/or did you have to do low carb/paleo at the same time?
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and live a paleo lifestyle. I lost about 70lbs, then had a couple of babies. I'm back down 50lbs with about 30 to go. Anyone feel free to add me!
  • escotech2883
    escotech2883 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like