Cheat day

Options
Cheat day. What's everyone's opinion? Are they required? Or do they wreck a weeks dieting.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    No, they aren't required. No, they don't have to wreck a week's dieting.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    For some they are required, for others they are not.

No they shouldn't wreck a weeks diet.
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I do good monday-Fri and weekends are my cheat days. I still lose weight and it doesnt affect anything IF you are working out appropriately and eating right.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    They are not required. Whether or not they will set you back depends on how much you eat. Many people can eat enough in a day to wipe our any deficit they may have created during the week.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Cheat day. What's everyone's opinion? Are they required? Or do they wreck a weeks dieting.

They are not required for weight loss. They may or may not wreck a week's dieting, depending on how much you eat on the cheat day.

I don't really have an opinion on whether anyone should have them. I think they can be helpful or harmful, depending on personality and diet method.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    how about a cheat MEAL? not an entire day??
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a cheat meal every other week, it's more the result of poor planning rather than a planned thing. I try to compensate the rest of the week by eating at a higher deficit. I normally eat at a 1000 calorie deficit, and on cheat days will just eat at a 500 calorie deficit.
  • bahr4682
    bahr4682 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They don't work for me. I tend to become obsessive about the "cheat" and go overboard. If I build the treats I want into my daily diet, I obsess less and binge less.

They work for some people, though.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    A meal, every so often, where I allow myself unlimited calories is the only thing that has helped me keep the weight off. I try and not do, "Cheat days," as that's a slippery slope to, "Cheat weeks," or "Cheat months."
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A meal, every so often, where I allow myself unlimited calories is the only thing that has helped me keep the weight off. I try and not do, "Cheat days," as that's a slippery slope to, "Cheat weeks," or "Cheat months."

agreed with this!! when I was on Weight Watchers, I weighed in on Sunday mornings and used Sunday night dinners with my friends/family as my cheat meal. I ate whatever I wanted in that one meal. That one meal is kind of what kept me going throughout the whole week.
  • rememberforget
    rememberforget Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm only three days into my diet so I don't know if I 'deserve' a cheat meal. But it is Friday and someone brought home pizza..
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    IIFYM^^^
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    how about a cheat MEAL? not an entire day??

^^agree!
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My total loss goal is 73 - I have decided not to reward myself with food but rather things like new clothes, tickets to our community theater and other fun things. When I reach my goal I will then allow myself 2 cheat days a month. Some months are pre-set such as Christmas and Thanksgiving, the rest as special days. For me cheat day means have a little more, maybe high calorie items but not stuffing until I bust. As I keep eating healthier and healthier I have less cravings and eating too many sweets leaves me feeling blah. Cheat days can still be healthy by eating cheese, avocados, nuts and other good things. For me this journey is a change of lifestyle and mindset, not just trying to control a sugar craving. There are many healthier choices that may be high calorie but still full of good things - about 1/2 way there and feeling good!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why would the be required?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I usually look at things in the perspective of the week rather than day. Sometimes I eat what I want and make up for it through the week. Sometimes I go work out hard to "earn" calories in hand to hit the food trucks at a local brewery or something.
  • penpan
    penpan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me, it's required. I have tried many times to lose weight without a cheat day and have failed every time. This time is so much different with a cheat day. It is working out great!!
    Everyone is different. Some people are able to stay on the straight and narrow. While others, need to taste the forbidden food.
    The thing is, you know yourself better than anyone. You probably have an idea of what is best for you. If you don't, this is great opportunity to find out.
    Good luck with your journey.
  • penpan
    penpan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Side note*
    I don't do a whole day. One or two meals on a day depending what is going on.