frustrated

Options
I'm so aggravated. I walked more this past week than I ever have. I stayed under my calories. The only thing that was different was that I ate subway a couple times. I didn't lose a pound. I know things fluctuate but it's so depressing when u try so hard and don't give into temptation.

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm so aggravated. I walked more this past week than I ever have. I stayed under my calories. The only thing that was different was that I ate subway a couple times. I didn't lose a pound. I know things fluctuate but it's so depressing when u try so hard and don't give into temptation.

I feel ya, for 2 weeks straight I have had between a 600-1000 calorie deficit/day and I haven't lost a single pound. Sucks when you hit little walls like this.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's normal.

Weight loss should always be viewed through a long-term lens, NOT as day to day or week to week fluctuations.

Some weeks you'll lose, some you'll stay the same, some you'll *gasp* gain a pound or two. That's how it works.

Make sure the long-term trend continues to be downward, and if THAT ever changes, then make adjustments if necessary.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Just remind yourself that you're building muscle out of fat. You may not have lost any weight, but you converted fat to muscle with all your walking...and that's to be commended!
  • aliciahardinhall
    aliciahardinhall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I hadn't thought of that.
  • FatSwatter
    FatSwatter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! That's what your body wants you to do but you have to fight hard by continuing to do what you know you should do. It takes a while for your body to finally give in but trust me, it will happen. I was in a similar situation for about 5 weeks but suddenly dropped 4 pounds. I know I didn't have a 14,000 calorie deficit overnight. That's when my body finally gave in to my mind and said "fine, you win!" Keep determined and the rest will follow. :smile:
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Just remind yourself that you're building muscle out of fat. You may not have lost any weight, but you converted fat to muscle with all your walking...and that's to be commended!

No...this is absolute bollocks. Things do not work like that.
  • aliciahardinhall
    Options
    It's normal.

Weight loss should always be viewed through a long-term lens, NOT as day to day or week to week fluctuations.

Some weeks you'll lose, some you'll stay the same, some you'll *gasp* gain a pound or two. That's how it works.

Make sure the long-term trend continues to be downward, and if THAT ever changes, then make adjustments if necessary.

• HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Not so much for me, but my wife is struggling with this too. I feel her pain, it really stinks to work so hard and see nothing on the scales. If you are absolutely positive you are tracking your food accurately then you gotta just hang in there and trust the math. The scale will move.
  • aliciahardinhall
    Options
    Thank you. I need to remind myself of that.
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started walking again and I notice the scales have gone up but I can feel the difference in my clothes. Give your body time to adjust, drink lots of water and just keep at it, it will happen.
  • aliciahardinhall
    Options
    HowlinAl wrote: »
    Not so much for me, but my wife is struggling with this too. I feel her pain, it really stinks to work so hard and see nothing on the scales. If you are absolutely positive you are tracking your food accurately then you gotta just hang in there and trust the math. The scale will move.

• aliciahardinhall
    Options
    I have lost 30 but when you have so far to go I guess u just never wanna see the scales staying the same. I'm not gonna give up. I think I just needed some encouragement.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I know it can be frustrating. We all want to get to our goal asap but its a slow going process unfortunately. Just know that if you are being accurate with your calories in time you will get there and when you do its so rewarding for all your hard work and diligence.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

Yes. That is EXACTLY how the body works.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Subway = sodium. Drink some extra water and see if that helps. Could just be some water retention. Keep it up, you'll get there.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited October 2015
    Options

Fat does not convert to muscle. They are two completely separate types of body mass.

You don't build (significant) muscle by walking, and certainly not in a calorie deficit.

If you have sources that claim otherwise, let's see 'em.
  • HowlinAl
    Options

No, it isn't.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Look at a graph of the past three months of weighing yourself. If you can draw a line from the start to the finish and it's going down, you're fine. Mine has ups as well as downs, but the overall TREND is down, which is what you want. I know it's frustrating to not see the scale budge for a time, just have to keep in mind that weight loss isn't linear. You will have ups and downs, so it helps to step back and look a the big picture when you're frustrated.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Like others said no it doesn't work like that at all!

And think of it...when it would, i would have a massive bulky bodybuilder body by now losing this amount of Fat which would be turned into muscle.

95069916.png
  • HowlinAl
    Options
    jasper186 wrote: »
    I have just recently started walking again and I notice the scales have gone up but I can feel the difference in my clothes. Give your body time to adjust, drink lots of water and just keep at it, it will happen.

Ya know, I also experienced a frustrating "stall" of a week or so when I initially started walking and exercising. Coincidence? Water retention? I dunno. It passed.