Who else is an overweight vegan?

Options
It feels so silly even making this post, but I have to know I'm not alone.

Vegans eat pizza and ice cream too :(

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My older daughter. I could undercut her with a bit of effort.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    bgohnert wrote: »
    It feels so silly even making this post, but I have to know I'm not alone.

Vegans eat pizza and ice cream too :(

Vegans are as capable of over eating as any one else. You are not alone ;)

I have grown up amongst a fair few vegans and vegetarians (both religious and / or ethical) and it is no guarantee to slimness from what I can see. Some of them have struggled with their weight their entire lives.

I'm eating more vegan and vegetarian meals for lunch myself these days for a bit of a change. I regularly eat at a well known organic / whole food chain. Broad range of body types there too...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    i have a vegan friend that eats a plate full of french fries covered in melted cheese.
    every time we go out - it's her go to food

Dairy cheese?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I was an overweight vegan. You're certainly not alone.
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    LaineyVAhimsa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Im an overweight vegan too :( mine is mainly due to baby weight though, but i havent been consistent with diet and exercise since. Plus i love food too much haha!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The nature of high carbs is a recipe for disaster.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    i have a vegan friend that eats a plate full of french fries covered in melted cheese.

Do you mean vegetarian?
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I call it "garbage vegetarians/vegans." I didn't eat meat for about 7 months. However, I know that I need more protein and have about 45lbs to loose. Cutting out red meat is now all I do. I found it WAY too easy to eat bad foods.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Vegans don't eat cheese
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I was an overweight vegan and vegetarian. Now, I'm down 130ish pounds and I get bacon and cheese. Yep, I'm happy.
  • forgtmenot
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm an overweight vegan, but only because I was overweight before I became vegan and it takes time to lose the weight. I'm consistently losing since becoming vegan.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I know lots of overweight vegans. Some were overweight to begin with and some got that way with age and lifestyle.

Equally, I know lots of slim vegans; more slim vegans proportionally than I know of slim non-vegans. Vegans are 9x less likely to be obese as their non-vegans counterparts but this certainly doesn't mean vegans are exempt from the normal.consequences of poor diet and lack of exercise.

If you're vegan for ethical reasons, it is easy to just eat anything because it isn't harming animals. It may be an idea to shift toward a whole foods, plant based diet as a vegan.

I have ebbs and flows with my weight and diet as an ethical vegan, although I have never been "overweight." I just gain quickly when I cram the almond dream frozen dessert and Oreos down my gob in times of stress or general dietary laziness.

MFP tracking and a spiralizer to make "zoodles" or "courgetti" have made a big difference in my energy levels, mood, alertness and stomach bloating (reduced). Focusing on whole veg, staple foods like lentils, beans and rice, and eating chia seed pudding for breakfast instead of toast with vegan butter have really made a huge difference in how I feel lately.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    P.S. I can't recommend Yogi Tea Choco enough for cutting out sweets. I have a cup of this when I'm craving a mocha or snack and the rich chocolatey flavour and aroma absolutely puts cravings to bed. The time spent drinking it gives me time to get.over the craving as well. :)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I used to be a fluffy vegan myself. Not anymore. Now I'm a vegan super villain... world domination , human subjugation, awesome animal habitats and welfare.

and to whomever posted above... vegans don't eat cheese. That gets you kicked outta the club.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

No, you don't. You may have a friend who thinks she is a vegan. You may have misunderstood her. But vegans do not eat anything covered in cheese. No meat, no products that originated with animals.

I've never met a fat vegan. I don't know how you get fat on a vegan diet. I believe people have! It would just be difficult to do.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

No, you don't. You may have a friend who thinks she is a vegan. You may have misunderstood her. But vegans do not eat anything covered in cheese. No meat, no products that originated with animals.

She is probably vegetarian and they don't know the difference.
  • indiaalexis
    indiaalexis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I found that the more raw foods I can incorporate into my meals the easier it is to be a thin vegan. It is just as easy to be a junk food vegan as it is to be a junk food meat eater--french fries, potato chips, too many nuts, etc. But, it seems to be pretty hard to be an overweight vegan when one is eating whole healthy food (no processed fake meat!).
  • indiaalexis
    indiaalexis Posts: 13 Member
    Options

She's not a vegan.