Do you do much cardio now that you've reached your goal weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Navybelle wrote: »
    Just try to find ways to be creative about doing cardio =) When its time for me to mop/polish the floors in my house, i kick my socks and shoes off, grab some terry cloths, and skate around my house, doing some occasional squats and lunges. For me, its not how, or what you look like doing it, its about getting that heart rate up and breaking a sweat each day. Hahaha hope that helps.

I love this so much. Blast some music and it sounds like fun!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've just recently transitioned to maintenance.
    I'm 5'2 and 125 lbs - I also have a full time sedentary office job.

Without any form of exercise, I can only have around 1550 to MAINTAIN my weight. For me, a HUGE lover of food, I am NOT okay with that. I weight train 4 times a week and I go for walks in the evenings after work to get a decent amount of steps. I eat at around 1700 to maintain and I'm a lot happier with that. Exercise is pretty much essential for me.

I see people that are able to eat around 2500 calories to maintain and I feel nothing but ENVY ;)
    I understand that a lot of it comes down to lifestyle, height, weight etc - but still, I'm jealous of you people.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Running keeps the calories off my butt and thighs.. Running is a part of everyday life just like eating breakfast and going to work.

If you hate any kind of cardio then, you won't do it.. plain and simple... If you do not choose to exercise in maintenance then making the maintenance calories work with is the answer..

I personally like not having to worry eating over my calories because I know I am not going to gain weight from it.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio, so I don't do any. I love strength training and do 4 full body workouts per week, and just walk for about 30 minutes on non-workout days. I've been maintaining for over a year. A well designed strength training program improves cardiovascular health just as well as traditional cardio. The main thing is to do something you enjoy and will do consistently. You can maintain weight without any exercise by adjusting your calories correctly, but exercise is important for overall health!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio, so I don't do any. I love strength training and do 4 full body workouts per week, and just walk for about 30 minutes on non-workout days. I've been maintaining for over a year. A well designed strength training program improves cardiovascular health just as well as traditional cardio. The main thing is to do something you enjoy and will do consistently. You can maintain weight without any exercise by adjusting your calories correctly, but exercise is important for overall health!

Spot on!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I do cardio i enjoy and i use it as a way to eat more food/treats. Saturday i did a lot of cardio and was able to eat 3K calories and was still in sligth deficit. Cant beat that...
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have ADHD so I go from running to swimming to biking to rucking to the elyptical to the stationary bike to walking to intervals to...........well, you get the idea. Mix it up!

And, drink water people!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I still do 5-6 hours of cardio a week plus two weight training days. I also now take two rest days a week. And no matter what, even if I don't exercise, I make sure to get over 10,000 steps a day. I stick with the cardio, even when I don't want to do it, because I love to eat and I hate telling myself no when I want a bag of chips or ice cream, etc. I just know that I have to "pay" for it with cardio :) I have been maintaining at around 118 pounds for over six months after losing over 50 pounds.
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Guess cardio has replaced other unhealthy addictions for me, not talking food either. I like the high so I do 60-90 minutes 6 days a week. I know it's not good but I feel good. It's low impact stuff except for tennis. I do weight train 30-45 min 3x a week. Kinda scared to stop. My life's has been a yo-yo with weight and it wouldn't take much for me to slip up and put this all back on. Sometimes I do worry it's gotten to be an obsession but I eat and eat healthy. Off BP meds. Just wanted to vent
  • thintribe2014
    thintribe2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to do cardio at the constant rate for between 30 and 40 minutes... That didn't work out so well... Then high-intensity interval training that did the trick but I found it a terrible impact on my joints ... Now now I do between half and full primary astanga practice,,, never found anything so challenging and humbling. I perspire 50 times more than any cardio I've ever done
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't do much cardio at all.. Just lifting
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I do moderate cardio 4 times a week (rowing machine, walking on the track and ARC Trainer), plus one day lifting, one day TRX and two days of accessory exercises, in addition to one Yoga glass, one Pilates class, and a Ballet/barre exercise a week keeps my body fit, even at my age. I also end my workouts with 15 to 20 minutes of moderate calisthenics and stretches exercises. I exercise because I like it and because I know that it is good for my body, not because I want to eat more. I wish I could do more cardio but my knees don't agree with it.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 5-6 days a week. Row 3.5km during my morning break, jog between 3.4-3.8 miles during my lunch. I hike three or four days a month over difficult terrain - average estimated calorie burn well over 1k.

1/3 of the reason is I have a sedentary job and I have a lot of nervous energy to burn off. I have had sit on my butt jobs all my life, but they never bothered me until I lost all the weight. Now I occasionally fantasize about quitting my job to work in a warehouse or in the trades or something because I don't want to sit around all day anymore and watch paint peel off the wall.

1/3 of the reason is that I like pushing myself. Every time I get on the treadmill, I wish I could quit for the first two miles. I hate hate hate it. And then about 2.5 miles in, it suddenly is not so bad any more. When I am done with what I have time for (the limit appears to be 3.8 miles), I am always very pleased with myself that I got through it yet again. Because I really want to quit when I start and get all whiny with myself. Heh.

1/3 of the reason is because Friday and pulled pork strombolis and beer!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing, but I feel ya on that hating cardio. I'm also really well endowed in the chest region so I know how it can suck to go to the gym and run. If you keep an eye out on Craigslist for your area, you can find some really inexpensive or even, like me, FREE treadmills that other people just don't use or never used or they got a new one and need their current one gone. I got mine nearly for free, all the guy wanted was for someone to get it out of his house for him cause he couldn't do it alone. It was far away and cost me a penny in gasoline and it was HELLA difficult to get it out of his basement, but it works great and I LOVE LOVE LOVE doing my cardio in my house where no-one can see the ta-tas bouncing all over the place.

And yes, I totally binge-watch netflix while using it and it makes you forget you are even doing cardio, which imho is the best way to do cardio.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    The best part? I use it when no one is home, so I can talk to myself and tell myself encouraging stuff, out loud, and not feel like an idiot. Now, after owning the thing nearly 3 months, I actually LIKE my cardio work outs. I would not be saying that if my only option was the gym or the concrete. This is SOOOO much better.
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 5-6 x per week. I do cardio in the form of outdoor activity on the weekends. I ride my bike (too dark and cold after work) and I go hiking. Not sure what I'll do when it's too cold or icy to do either. I'll probably do classes at my gym.

I love lifting weights. I really like how my body looks and feels, far more (and better) than after doing cardio!!
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I walked daily during weight loss phase Summer 2014 and it was very helpful and enjoyable, too. Have been in maintenance since Sept 2014 and walk far less often now, though am active with gardening, caring for elderly parents, caring for 2 households, etc. I would like to get back to more regular walking, yoga, and begin my version of toning/strength training with light dumbbells. I have a medical condition which limits my ability to do anything but gentle impact, very light weights. When it gets cold outside I tend to turn to indoor at home exercise.

Good Luck and please keep us posted on your progress :)

Jean