Please help me understand weight loss and nutrition

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    BogdanMih wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @BogdanMih I also have goldfish crackers in my cupboard. Everything in moderation, eh?

I'm not a fan of the ''everything in moderation'' concept that most people use. When you eat mostly home cooked meals like you do for example, some cheats now and then are fine. I have my own ''everything in moderation'' concept where I advise people to enjoy those cheats in moderation, and use their common sense. Check the nutrition labels to avoid anything high in fats, sugars, and chemicals you can’t pronounce. If it has high contents of fats or sugars and you still want to eat it make sure you really "pay'' for that one. (ha ha, I'm joking).
    Anyway, keep up the good work!

I can pronounce all of the chemicals. Even if I've never seen the word before, I can pronounce it. I might not hit the right accented syllable, but I probably would.

Your ability or inability to pronounce a word should not be the determinator of whether you eat it. We can all pronounce "gasoline," but that doesn't make it okay to swallow. We cannot all pronounce "phytochemical", but those would be great things to ingest.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Dont eat everything you want, a calorie deficit is not enough as long as you're still eating proccesed food. Here's my advice: Start eating good home cooked meals rich in protein as well as fats and carbs. Reduce sugar intake to almost none or at least 5-6 tspoons/day. Eat fruits. And one personal advice that I recommend when one wants to loose weight fast: use intermittent fasting. Google it, research it and apply it. Youre gonna feel great and you are gonna loose weight, trust me! Oh, and keep the calorie deficit, that is important too. Good luck!

...No. You don't need to cut out processed food, or reduce sugar. And you don't need intermittent fasting (I know you didn't say you need it, just saying). You just need a calorie deficit. You can still lose weight perfectly easily eating those things you've said to cut out.

+1

+ 2

eat in a calorie deficit, and hit macros and micros.

simple….
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @BogdanMih I also have goldfish crackers in my cupboard. Everything in moderation, eh?

I'm not a fan of the ''everything in moderation'' concept that most people use. When you eat mostly home cooked meals like you do for example, some cheats now and then are fine. I have my own ''everything in moderation'' concept where I advise people to enjoy those cheats in moderation, and use their common sense. Check the nutrition labels to avoid anything high in fats, sugars, and chemicals you can’t pronounce. If it has high contents of fats or sugars and you still want to eat it make sure you really "pay'' for that one. (ha ha, I'm joking).

So if I have some goldfish crackers that fit into my macro/micro/calorie goals for the day, what makes it a "cheat"? Also, what's your beef with fat? It's kind of important, you know.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so you don't eat blueberries because high in sugar content?

can you pronounce all the ingredients in an apple?

what is wrong with fat?
  • BogdanMih
    BogdanMih Posts: 20 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so you don't eat blueberries because high in sugar content?

can you pronounce all the ingredients in an apple?

what is wrong with fat?

Oh my god. Fruits are ok, people. I was not referring to fruits, i mean C'mon. The sugar in a fruit has a lot of fiber that makes the absorption time longer. Sugar from fruits is different.
    You all took what i said like word for word. First of all, I said chemicals and I was talking about bad ingredients, mostly in processed foods. It was an expresion, like if you dont know what it is, look it up, but its probably bad. Im not even gonna answer the Apple question..

And I did not say something is wrong with fats. Fats are good for you, in a decent amount. But there are a lot of fat types, you have saturated fat, monosaturated, polysaturated, some are good, some are bad.

• BogdanMih
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @DemoraFairy Ok, let's take it step by step.

I said that yes, loosing weight is simple: you figure out your RMB, then your TEE and you substract some calories and voila you have your calorie deficit.

The impact on how many calories the body burns it's actualy very different, and I'm gonna explain why. OK so here it's all about the metabolization of macronutrients (carbs, fats, protein) Each of there macros need energy to be metabolized.
    • Fats : 2-3% energy
    • Carbs: 6-8% energy
    • Proteins: 25-30% energy

If we follow this model it's pretty clear that protein need a lot more energy to be metabolized than fats and carbs. So for example if you eat say like 100 calories from protein, the body will only absorb 75 calories, but if you eat 100 calories of fats, the body will absorb 98 calories. So if you go for a run and burn those 100 calories, they will burn more quickly if most of them were protein and not fats because you'll only have to burn 75, not 98. This also a fact of why protein help raise the metabolism and burn more fat stored on the body, ergo loose weight more quickly.

I'm not disagreeing with you, your ways will get you there, only a lot slower.

Now, about the processed food, I only said that those ingredients mentioned by you are in fact bad. You're right, you can't just make a change that big. You would really have to be a farmer.

About the frozen dinners, "most of them" are bad, not all of them. Avoid the ones with dressing because those are the ones with sugars, sodium etc.

"Eating in moderation" Yes, i was kinda discrepant there but I was saying about my way of eating in moderation where you choose days when you cheat and have a little treat. Not eating on a daily basis everything in moderation. And what i said above proves that eating bad food only makes it difficult to loose weight. (altough you still loose it, only at a slower rate)

Everyone shouted at me about that phrase "chemicals you can’t pronounce'. Of course there are a lot of chemicals that are probably there for a reason. I'm only talking about super processed food, like your frozen dinners for example. Not fruits, It feels like you're mocking me.

Fruits are fine, as i responded earlier, the sugar in fruits doesn't count because of the fiber. It's basicaly a whole different type of sugar. And all those ingredients in my supermarket are not even listed. Don't go mental and check the nutritional label on fruits, that's insane :)).

I don't know, I think my way is that you have to eat healthy, your ways are that you just need to loose weight.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are you sure about the energy consumption for the various macros, @BogdanMih ? From my long association with T2 diabetes, I found that fats are metabolised the slowest. I wouldn't call it efficient. Fats are compact; I'll give them that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_acid_metabolism

Salt isn't bad. I don't have "cheat days". I do not feel bad when I snack on goldfish crackers. From a shot glass. In my world, all food is lovely and contributes to health and vitality.
  • BogdanMih
    Options
    Are you sure about the energy consumption for the various macros, @BogdanMih ? From my long association with T2 diabetes, I found that fats are metabolised the slowest. I wouldn't call it efficient. Fats are compact; I'll give them that.

Salt isn't bad. I don't have "cheat days". I do not feel bad when I snack on goldfish crackers. From a shot glass. In my world, all food is lovely and contributes to health and vitality.

Well yeah, fats are absorbed slower (and here we talk about the fats in nuts, olives) but they take not that much energy to be metabolized. They are 2 different things.

Everyone has their ways, I promote a lifestyle that most people don't like because it takes away everything they love and I think it's why everyone is against me right now :)). Anyway, as long as you feel great, who am I to tell you different

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Well yeah, fats are absorbed slower (and here we talk about the fats in nuts, olives) but they take not that much energy to be metabolized. They are 2 different things.

Everyone has their ways, I promote a lifestyle that most people don't like because it takes away everything they love and I think it's why everyone is against me right now :)). Anyway, as long as you feel great, who am I to tell you different

I think people are questioning what you're writing because it seems pretty arbitrary.
  • BogdanMih
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I can pronounce all of the chemicals. Even if I've never seen the word before, I can pronounce it. I might not hit the right accented syllable, but I probably would.

Your ability or inability to pronounce a word should not be the determinator of whether you eat it. We can all pronounce "gasoline," but that doesn't make it okay to swallow. We cannot all pronounce "phytochemical", but those would be great things to ingest.

This really wasn't my point. That's a great example you just made there but it's really not on the point. "chemicals you can’t pronounce" I used it as an expression, don't take it literally.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

This really wasn't my point. That's a great example you just made there but it's really not on the point. "chemicals you can’t pronounce" I used it as an expression, don't take it literally.

You told someone they should check the nutrition label and avoid anything that had a "chemical you can't pronounce." You just meant that as an expression and not as something they should actually do?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

But this can't pronounce the words is battered around so frequently by others that is becoming a truism not an expression.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Dont eat everything you want, a calorie deficit is not enough as long as you're still eating proccesed food. Here's my advice: Start eating good home cooked meals rich in protein as well as fats and carbs. Reduce sugar intake to almost none or at least 5-6 tspoons/day. Eat fruits. And one personal advice that I recommend when one wants to loose weight fast: use intermittent fasting. Google it, research it and apply it. Youre gonna feel great and you are gonna loose weight, trust me! Oh, and keep the calorie deficit, that is important too. Good luck!

...No. You don't need to cut out processed food, or reduce sugar. And you don't need intermittent fasting (I know you didn't say you need it, just saying). You just need a calorie deficit. You can still lose weight perfectly easily eating those things you've said to cut out.

I know you all want to belive that but I know what I'm saying. Processed food is bad. I tried both ways, a deficit in calories where I ate pretty much what i wanted to cover those calories and another one where I carefully cooked all my meals and reduced my sugar intake. The results were beyond comparison. You maybe say that because even if you eat processed food you probably don't gain that much fat (alotough I don't know that) Each of us burn calories at different rates and that is because of our lifestyle and our metabolism, which works different for each of us.

What I said above about reducing the sugar intake to 6 tsp/day was actualy what is recommended by the The American Heart Association.( And in my opinion I think it should be less)

As for Intermittent fasting, it's just something I tell people to try, it's really awesome once you get used to it.

Again, just my personal opinion. Don't get mad at me :smiley:

I'm gonna have to agree with you!

All processed foods have "stuff" in them that the body does not recognize. The body tries, and eventually it does get digested. But if your body is stuffed to the gills with this stuff, the body will then make a decision. It's first priority (via liver and kidneys) is to eliminate toxins. If the kidney gets overworked then it becomes the liver's responsibility to pick up the slack. That is why water is so important -- it's a vehicle to wash away the toxins. No water then you are in trouble. When the liver gets overwhelmed it starts making fat deposits, to cache as it were all the excess calories to so that it can focus on getting the toxins out of the body first. So when you keep eating processed food, day in and day out well you're gonna have a hard time loosing weight, not impossible but definitely a slow down. Young people think they can eat like this forever, but each person's body will decide. Remember that guy who ate nothing but McDonalds for a month? Not only did he get overweight, his body was literally ready to shut down!

(and read up on how the body processes alcohol...fascinating...the body considers it a toxin and it will do everything to get it processed first before that first bit of fat.....if you're gonna drink make sure you have twice the calorie deficit so that you can still see some weight lost...)

So what do you have to lose (some pounds)? Try it. Cannot hurt. Just try for one week and see what results you will get. And make sure you drink lots of water every day. Come back and report.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    So over the past month, you've lost about 4-5 pounds? It sounds like you're doing just fine. You can eat anything you like within your calorie goal, just less of it. A lot of weight loss is trial and error, but you'll soon figure out which foods keep you full, which don't. Poke around on Pinterest or the recipe section here for low-calorie options that sound good to you.

This ^

You are doing fine - way to go!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I know you all want to belive that but I know what I'm saying. Processed food is bad. I tried both ways, a deficit in calories where I ate pretty much what i wanted to cover those calories and another one where I carefully cooked all my meals and reduced my sugar intake. The results were beyond comparison. You maybe say that because even if you eat processed food you probably don't gain that much fat (alotough I don't know that) Each of us burn calories at different rates and that is because of our lifestyle and our metabolism, which works different for each of us.

What I said above about reducing the sugar intake to 6 tsp/day was actualy what is recommended by the The American Heart Association.( And in my opinion I think it should be less)

As for Intermittent fasting, it's just something I tell people to try, it's really awesome once you get used to it.

All processed foods have "stuff" in them that the body does not recognize. The body tries, and eventually it does get digested. But if your body is stuffed to the gills with this stuff, the body will then make a decision. It's first priority (via liver and kidneys) is to eliminate toxins. If the kidney gets overworked then it becomes the liver's responsibility to pick up the slack. That is why water is so important -- it's a vehicle to wash away the toxins. No water then you are in trouble. When the liver gets overwhelmed it starts making fat deposits, to cache as it were to get the toxins stored that it cannot deal with right then and there. So when you keep eating processed food, day in and day out well you're gonna have a hard time loosing weight, not impossible but definitely a slow down. Young people think they can eat like this forever, but each person's body will decide. Remember that guy who ate nothing but McDonalds for a month? Not only did he get overweight, his body was literally ready to shut down!

(and read up on how the body processes alcohol...fascinating...the body considers it a toxin and it will do everything to get it processed first before that first bit of fat.....if you're gonna drink make sure you have twice the calorie deficit so that you can still see some weight lost...)

So what do you have to lose (some pounds)? Try it. Cannot hurt. Just try for one week and see what results you will get. And make sure you drink lots of water every day. Come back and report.

What "stuff" in "processed food" does the body not recognize? Why does your body have to "recognize" something in order to digest it?

That stuff about alcohol, by the way, is completely false. I drank almost daily when I was losing weight, stayed right at my deficit, and lost weight regularly. Whether your body processes the calories first or last is irrelevant -- you don't need an extra deficit if you are drinking alcohol.

• BogdanMih
    Options

You told someone they should check the nutrition label and avoid anything that had a "chemical you can't pronounce." You just meant that as an expression and not as something they should actually do?

No, you should avoid them. But I'm not from UK or USA, I don't know how you use it. Here I say it like "if you don't know what it is, look it up but it's probably bad'' Most ingredients that are good you know them, I mean they( as in the people behind the product) have no reason to hide them in weird chemical names. But c'mon that example was so not on the point. Gasolinte - not food ingredient , Phytochemical - found in fruits where there is no reason to look on the nutritional label.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

No, you should avoid them. But I'm not from UK or USA, I don't know how you use it. Here I say it like "if you don't know what it is, look it up but it's probably bad'' Most ingredients that are good you know them, I mean they( as in the people behind the product) have no reason to hide them in weird chemical names. But c'mon that example was so not on the point. Gasolinte - not food ingredient , Phytochemical - found in fruits where there is no reason to look on the nutritional label.

When I am ignorant of something, I don't think it's a reasonable assumption to assume that it is bad. I think it would be better to find out what it is and then decide for myself.
  • BogdanMih
    Options

When I am ignorant of something, I don't think it's a reasonable assumption to assume that it is bad. I think it would be better to find out what it is and then decide for myself.

That's what I said, look it up, google some articles about bad ingredients and convince yourself. Considered the food industry nowadays you should really know the bad ingredients.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options

All processed foods have "stuff" in them that the body does not recognize. The body tries, and eventually it does get digested. But if your body is stuffed to the gills with this stuff, the body will then make a decision. It's first priority (via liver and kidneys) is to eliminate toxins. If the kidney gets overworked then it becomes the liver's responsibility to pick up the slack. That is why water is so important -- it's a vehicle to wash away the toxins. No water then you are in trouble. When the liver gets overwhelmed it starts making fat deposits, to cache as it were to get the toxins stored that it cannot deal with right then and there. So when you keep eating processed food, day in and day out well you're gonna have a hard time loosing weight, not impossible but definitely a slow down. Young people think they can eat like this forever, but each person's body will decide. Remember that guy who ate nothing but McDonalds for a month? Not only did he get overweight, his body was literally ready to shut down!

What "stuff" in "processed food" does the body not recognize? Why does your body have to "recognize" something in order to digest it?

That stuff about alcohol, by the way, is completely false. I drank almost daily when I was losing weight, stayed right at my deficit, and lost weight regularly. Whether your body processes the calories first or last is irrelevant -- you don't need an extra deficit if you are drinking alcohol.

....and I'm gonna guess you are younger than 40, possibly younger than 30? When I was younger, I would drink like crazy and still could not gain weight. I could party like nobody. As I got older, it got harder to lose the lbs AND drink.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Nope!

You can eat whatever you want. Overall calories are what is most important. Eliminate processed foods only if that is something you will do for years to come (lifestyle change).

Reduce sugar to almost none? Why? Again, if this is not a lifestyle change.......you'll be back

Elimination diets don't work because temporary changes yield temporary results.

Intermittent fasting is just a method (another method) to reach a calorie deficit......nothing more. PROPER, true intermittent fasting is the same calorie deficit.....not more. So it won't be any faster than other methods.

TRUE STATEMENT: Oh, and keep the calorie deficit, that is important too.