Ecercising and gaining weight and inches

Options
2»

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    maiths18 wrote: »
    Yes. I try to track most days. I end up tracking good on weekdays and slip on weekends. I am sure my nutrition needs more controlling. I am wondering about the part where I started exercising, tracking and gained pounds and inches.

Believe it or not, weekends CAN undo all the good work all week....I suggest you try a few weekends tracking, using a food scale, and see if it starts to change...I'm betting your numbers will quickly go down after the first two weekends.. Good luck xo
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    lpadancer wrote: »
    Just a heads up--today is Monday and you have logged quite a few things in a way that suggest inaccurate logging. Your clementines? They should be weighed (without the peel, if you'd like to take on that next step). Same for your Healthy Choice lunch. Prepackaged food weights can be way off from what you find on the label. I see other entries with cups of rice, incomplete days, etc. These are all weekdays. Weighing is incredibly important if you are not seeing the results you expect.

The answer is always that you are eating more than you think. Until you have a completely accurate log (weekdays, weekends), you are spinning your wheels to think otherwise.

Once you do have a very accurate log and are losing as expected (although likely not linearly), you can start to think about not logging on certain days. If this causes your weight loss to slow or disappear, you'll know that you are not yet able to estimate. I enjoy the logging and, at this point, think I will continue in some capacity for life.

Absolutely this...100%
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yep, you have to track very accurately. I track even in maintenance (eh, not every single day ;) ). I don't weigh things anymore, though.

You might have gotten hungrier from the exercise and not known it. I always do that. You also might still be holding a certain amount of water if the weights still seem hard and you are doing progressive lifting.

But the waist measurement isn't likely to go up if it's from weight lifting. That's the one that signals fat gain for me. If yours is consistently higher in the waist, I'd have to say it's probably a bit of real weight gain.

But hey! That means your weight lifting probably did a great deal of good in putting on muscle :grin: It was a mini bulk by accident, lol. You gain fat and muscle in a bulk.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You're eating too much.

However you wrap it up ...this
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who have explained that you should log more consistently & accurately. If you do this, you will likely see the results that you want :)

Yes....but in addition to tracking I also added exercise. That gives me more deficit.

I would also like to mention, in case you were unaware, that MyFitnessPal generally overestimates the number of calories burned from exercise by quite a lot. Many people recommend only eating a maximum of 50% of those exercise calories that MFP says you burned.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I am really really skeptical that I am eating more in overall week as compared to before. I ate donuts and pizza and high carb diets at least 2 times a week. I now even when not tracking consciously put only healthy food in my mouth. I am sure I am still going over my limit when not tracking. I guess I am stuck with tracking as accurately on weekends too. But how am I supposed to keep that as my lifestyle! Do you guys weigh every single thing for more than 5 years?

I haven't missed a day of logging in over 12mths. I Prelog my day every morning 7 days a week. It's become second nature now, that I don't even think about it.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    And yes, I log on the weekends. It's not hard if you pre-plan. And if you go out to eat, just make smarter choices and watch the booze.

It's not hard even if you don't pre-plan.

• preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You're probably eating too much because exercising made you hungrier, and because you don't track with accuracy (weighing makes calorie-counting so easy; I use it to MAXIMIZE the amount of food I can eat within my calories limit), the amount you eat has increased without you noticing --> weight gain.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I did since little over a month. I started portion control / weighing my food. Which again I do on most of the weekdays. The weight is steady at 132lbs. I monitor my water intake and macros. and take fish oil and iron supplement. I realize that my weekends could be killing my weight loss journey. But I am so confused by the fact that I was holding steady at 126 lb for about half a year with occasional exercise and very loose logging and now when I am much stricter it started going in opposite direction!

Exercise can make me raveneous. It is easy to gain 6 lbs in 3 months by eating more than you think and burning less than you think. The past is over. Focus on the now. Drink as much water as you can and track your eating as much as you can.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am really really skeptical that I am eating more in overall week as compared to before. I ate donuts and pizza and high carb diets at least 2 times a week. I now even when not tracking consciously put only healthy food in my mouth. I am sure I am still going over my limit when not tracking. I guess I am stuck with tracking as accurately on weekends too. But how am I supposed to keep that as my lifestyle! Do you guys weigh every single thing for more than 5 years?

Try weighing absolutely everything for two weeks. Make sure the entries you are using are accurate (double check them with a reputable online source like the USDA...once you get entries you know are right, you will do this less and less). Make sure you are not logging too many exercise calories; only use 50-60% or so of what MFP gives you for a particular exercise.

If you do those things, the scale will move, and then I bet you won't mind weighing and logging everything for a while!!

If the scale does not go down, but keeps going up, I vote pregnant. :wink:

FYI: I log everything, but I do not weigh absolutely everything anymore, now that I have a better handle on what a serving/portion looks like. I weigh most proteins and the croutons I put on my salad (if I don't weigh those, I would eat the whole bag!!!) So don't let the fear of it being to burdensome stop you from achieving your goals. It doesn't have to be forever, just until you get a handle on it.

I will recheck myself every few weeks to make sure I am in the ballpark, but if I ever hit a long stall, I know the first thing I will begin doing again. Weighing EVERYTHING.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lpadancer wrote: »
    Just a heads up--today is Monday and you have logged quite a few things in a way that suggest inaccurate logging. Your clementines? They should be weighed (without the peel, if you'd like to take on that next step). Same for your Healthy Choice lunch. Prepackaged food weights can be way off from what you find on the label. I see other entries with cups of rice, incomplete days, etc. These are all weekdays. Weighing is incredibly important if you are not seeing the results you expect.

The answer is always that you are eating more than you think. Until you have a completely accurate log (weekdays, weekends), you are spinning your wheels to think otherwise.

Once you do have a very accurate log and are losing as expected (although likely not linearly), you can start to think about not logging on certain days. If this causes your weight loss to slow or disappear, you'll know that you are not yet able to estimate. I enjoy the logging and, at this point, think I will continue in some capacity for life.

The days where the entries are in cups...that is because I did portion control similar to 21 day fix for those days. I did not know that prepackaged food can be way off!!!! In any case I eat them very rarely. But I understand what you are saying. As hard as if may be initially there isn't way around tracking accurately and consistently. It is good to get a wake up call from all of you here.

Is 21 day fix the program that gives you little cups to fill for portions? I was thinking that another poster said that she used the 2/3 cup for 5 ounces of protein. If that's the case, those portions can be wildly off.