Keep gaining weight D:

Options
Hey all! A year ago I used this app a lot because I wanted to lose weight but I never went to the community section and I did it in an unhealthy way, this time around I'd like to be healthy instead of just skinny! My problem currently is that I keep gaining weight but I'm basically staying the same size?! I am 5' 2" and weighed 138 this morning, about 2 months ago I would normally weigh between 127-130 and I haven't changed my diet or exercise at all. I am pretty active, I do dance for 6hrs a week and martial arts for 4hrs a week. I eat around 1800 cals a day. Does anyone have ideas where this weight is coming from and how to lose it? I don't look overweight at all but I would like to slim down and look more toned overall. Thanks for any help! :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your calorie counting? Do you use a food scale? How do you calculate your calorie burns?
  • enichols619
    enichols619 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How accurate is your calorie counting? Do you use a food scale? How do you calculate your calorie burns?
    I enter in my recipes and let this app calculate the calories in each serving. I do not use a food scale. I don't really calculate my calorie burns at this point because I become obsessed with it quite easily. I just try to get in plenty of exercise throughout the week.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    No food scale = you're eating way more than you think, burning less than you think, thus gaining weight.

I've been there. Way back when I started the first time, I thought I could get by without one too. (I was also living at home which made weighing...difficult.) Now I know I can't.
  • enichols619
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    No food scale = you're eating way more than you think, burning less than you think, thus gaining weight.

I've been there. Way back when I started the first time, I thought I could get by without one too. (I was also living at home which made weighing...difficult.) Now I know I can't.

I do have a very good idea about how much something weighs because I cook A LOT and I weigh things for baking because it's much more accurate, I am very aware of portion sizes and do not eat any snacks at all and usually don't eat breakfast so I don't believe I over eat. I do have a good scale though and could start using it, I'll give it a go and see how far off I am without it.
  • enichols619
    edited October 2015
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by that exactly, how would you know the exact difference in calories ? I did start using a scale today and so far my measurements were spot on with the amount I thought they weighed, I'm sure it's different depending on the particular food. Hopefully the food scale will help! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're not in a deficit.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're not in a deficit.
    This. It's super easy to go over without weighing. A few grams here and there really adds up.
    I thought I was pretty darn good at eyeballing, but..
    I was was over my calorie limit by 500 cals for a few days in the week. It was a real eye opener.

The only way to gain is by eating above maintenance.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean by that exactly, how would you know the exact difference in calories ? I did start using a scale today and so far my measurements were spot on with the amount I thought they weighed, I'm sure it's different depending on the particular food. Hopefully the food scale will help! :)

It's a video, click the pic.
  • ChibiBunneh
    ChibiBunneh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    hey everyone, i have a question as well, but im not sure how to make a new thread for it. im 5'2 and 158 lbs. i dance and do yoga twice a week but dont seem to be losing any weight, i keep gaining. :( how many more days a week should i increase my workouts before i start losing weight?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    hey everyone, i have a question as well, but im not sure how to make a new thread for it. im 5'2 and 158 lbs. i dance and do yoga twice a week but dont seem to be losing any weight, i keep gaining. :( how many more days a week should i increase my workouts before i start losing weight?

@ChibiBunneh Look at the accuracy of your food logging, before considering upping your exercise.

I could spend 5 hours a day, 7 days a week in the gym and not lose an ounce, or gain weight if I'm eating too much..

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussions/mine and hit create
  • Hannah_W90
    Hannah_W90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I seem to be stuck - I have only been on a health and fitness kick for 3 weeks. I'm trying to lose about 15lbs. After a body fat analysis I found I can lose up to 22lbs and still be a healthy weight. Week 1 I lost about 5lbs by exercising and cutting down on pasta, bread and other junk (chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks etc).

Problem is I haven't lost any weight, or inches since then, even though I'm still being good and killing myself in the gym 4 times per week. What is the problem???
  • enichols619
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

It's a video, click the pic.

Oh haha sorry! That is definitely a difference! I'll be using the food scale this week and see how it goes
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hannah_W90 wrote: »
    I seem to be stuck - I have only been on a health and fitness kick for 3 weeks. I'm trying to lose about 15lbs. After a body fat analysis I found I can lose up to 22lbs and still be a healthy weight. Week 1 I lost about 5lbs by exercising and cutting down on pasta, bread and other junk (chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks etc).

Problem is I haven't lost any weight, or inches since then, even though I'm still being good and killing myself in the gym 4 times per week. What is the problem???

Are you using a food scale. Watch the video posted above.

Also 3 weeks really isn't enough time . get yourself a food scale, learn how to weigh and log accurately and give it some time
  • capybara101
    capybara101 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Weight loss is primarily diet, not exercise. Maintain a calorie deficit, eat more fat, fewer carbs, no sugar. Google the "keto" diet or "paleo". If you're buying low fat products (chock full of sugar) like the government says you should to lose weight, you've been conned. Seriously. Eat real food. Worked for me and I don't exercise at all. Good luck!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

Weight loss is primarily diet, not exercise. Maintain a calorie deficit, eat more fat, fewer carbs, no sugar. Google the "keto" diet or "paleo". If you're buying low fat products (chock full of sugar) like the government says you should to lose weight, you've been conned. Seriously. Eat real food. Worked for me and I don't exercise at all. Good luck!

Unless you have special medical needs, low carb/no sugar/keto/paleo or whatever is NOT necessary and you do NOT need to do this to lose weight.
  • Hannah_W90
    Hannah_W90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Also 3 weeks really isn't enough time . get yourself a food scale, learn how to weigh and log accurately and give it some time

Thanks - I will try to weigh my food from now on. I will say however, I only eat child sized portions of everything and often struggle to finish meals so I doubt if this is my problem. The reason I gained weight in the first place was eating mcdonalds, chocolate, crisps and cake too often in place of proper food. Any other ideas?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This isn't scientific, but I know that as I approached 30 I didn't change what I ate or activity level but I did start packing on weight. Maybe age has something to do with it.

I'd also like to say that people alive during the Paleo period only lived to be about 30 years old. Also, my friends are doing Keto and they have to pee on sticks to see if they are in Ketosis. No freakin way. I'm not whizzing on anything to see if I'm going to lose weight. I'll just try to eat healthier and make sure my portion sizes are accurate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Thanks - I will try to weigh my food from now on. I will say however, I only eat child sized portions of everything and often struggle to finish meals so I doubt if this is my problem. The reason I gained weight in the first place was eating mcdonalds, chocolate, crisps and cake too often in place of proper food. Any other ideas?

If you're gaining weight, it's because you're eating more calories than you're burning. This can happen even if we eat smaller portions (calorie-dense foods can come in small portions) or struggle to finish the food in front of us. A food scale will allow you to know exactly how much you're eating.