Not losing weight on 1000 calories.

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You are complaining that you haven't lost weight in 4 days. In reality, you've lost 17 pounds in just over two months. You need to readjust your expectations; you're actually losing very quickly, more than two pounds per week.

In addition, you've just had a baby and are likely far more active than you were before you were pregnant (taking care of a baby can be great, but it's a lot of work!). You said you were partially breast feeding. Are you not anymore? Eating that low will definitely lead to a reduced milk supply (and it may stop altogether).

You need to be healthy both for your own sake and for that of your child. You need to eat enough to sustain your activity, and you should aim for a moderate rate of weight loss. Here is a good calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Eating this few calories can't be right.

It's far from right. You need to find out what your bmr is and at least be hitting that number daily.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    scolaris wrote: »
    Eating this few calories can't be right.

It's far from right. You need to find out what your bmr is and at least be hitting that number daily.
    Not necessarily, no.

• kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Breastfeed your baby if you can.

Who are you to tell this woman how she should feed her child? Shame on you.

Lady go away. Breastfeeding Burns extra calories which is why I suggested doing that "if she can". Bye Bye now idiot of the day:)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    zoie1313 wrote: »
    I do weigh my food and I really do stick to 1000 cal, some days it been around 800-950 and 1200 cal is the limit. I log every thing, even when I drink black tea of 2cal I log it.
    I was partially breastfeeding for the first month. My baby is perfectly healthy and currently weighs 13lb 4oz. I had the DEPO injection 2 weeks ago and I wondering if that may be anything to do with it? Really appreciate the advice you're all giving me and I will try upping my calorie intake to see if that helps.

its only 4 days your weight go up and down depending on sodium and crap . i know i weigh myself daily . if you cant handle seeing those ups and downs weigh urself once a week come back in two weeks and if you still doing what you said and have not lost weight. than go see a doctor .dont be scared to eat too 800-950 baby girl you tripping. also ex. if you eat 1200 than next day you eat 1500 the day after 1500 you will 'weigh" more usually take it from me i have a 3 month old and 18 month old i know you want to get your body on point but, eat healthy try to exercise in due time the weight will come off!

are you really advocating that someone that just has a baby eat 800 to 950 calories??????
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I do weigh my food and I really do stick to 1000 cal, some days it been around 800-950 and 1200 cal is the limit. I log every thing, even when I drink black tea of 2cal I log it.
    I was partially breastfeeding for the first month. My baby is perfectly healthy and currently weighs 13lb 4oz. I had the DEPO injection 2 weeks ago and I wondering if that may be anything to do with it? Really appreciate the advice you're all giving me and I will try upping my calorie intake to see if that helps.

its only 4 days your weight go up and down depending on sodium and crap . i know i weigh myself daily . if you cant handle seeing those ups and downs weigh urself once a week come back in two weeks and if you still doing what you said and have not lost weight. than go see a doctor .dont be scared to eat too 800-950 baby girl you tripping. also ex. if you eat 1200 than next day you eat 1500 the day after 1500 you will 'weigh" more usually take it from me i have a 3 month old and 18 month old i know you want to get your body on point but, eat healthy try to exercise in due time the weight will come off!

are you really advocating that someone that just has a baby eat 800 to 950 calories??????

No, she's just lacking punctuation. That part should read, "Don't be scared to eat, too. 800-950? Baby girl, you're tripping!" It took me a couple of reads to get it.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    A few things: macros? How much of this is carbs vs protein and fats. Up your protein and fats and lower your sugars and fats. I would get rid of anything that isn't real food like hot chocolate and red bull. I know you have a baby but those cant be good for the baby if your breast feeding.

I know you want it to fall off and be done but that isn't healthy. Up your calories a little and see what happens. Don't do it overnight but pay really close attention to what cals you are eating.

Also if you are exercising and eating that low your body will resist. Trust me. Don't so any exercise that causes excessive sweating. It backfires when you are eating so low.
  • anewday23
    anewday23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    looney9708 wrote: »
    A few things: macros? How much of this is carbs vs protein and fats. Up your protein and fats and lower your sugars and fats. I would get rid of anything that isn't real food like hot chocolate and red bull. I know you have a baby but those cant be good for the baby if your breast feeding.

I know you want it to fall off and be done but that isn't healthy. Up your calories a little and see what happens. Don't do it overnight but pay really close attention to what cals you are eating.

Also if you are exercising and eating that low your body will resist. Trust me. Don't so any exercise that causes excessive sweating. It backfires when you are eating so low.

this does nothing to address the underlying fact that OP's logging, or something, is off.

are you saying if she just adjusts carbs vs proteins and continues to over eat that she will start losing?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    looney9708 wrote: »

this does nothing to address the underlying fact that OP's logging, or something, is off.

are you saying if she just adjusts carbs vs proteins and continues to over eat that she will start losing?

She's lost 17lbs in two months. OP has no problems losing.
  • anewday23
    anewday23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with a three month old at home. I took depo (a long time ago) and could not lose weight no matter what I did. I actually gained 20 pounds over the course of a year.

After pregnancy it is natural to focus (or obsess if you are like me) on your body. There is no longer a baby in there, but it also isn't quite right. Heavier, out of shape, etc. and it seems like the weight should come off immediately. I think maybe you should give yourself a break. Go slow and try to not underway when you are caring for the new baby. Congratulations, by the way. It is not easy to lose on no sleep with all your hormones going crazy and all that.

I lost 40 pounds in the first two weeks after the baby was born and 3 pounds since then. So take solace in the fact that you are only dissatisfied with your pace of weight loss for four days while I have stalled for three months.

We can do this. Don't worry.
  • aislingeach
    aislingeach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 1.5" and I started at 162 lbs losing the first 30 pounds with my calories around 1290 per day. I lost the next 17 pounds with my calories around 1100-1200 per day. The last 17 pounds were a long time coming off. I would typically fluctuate up and down before finally dropping a half pound or maybe a pound, then bounce up .2-.4 pounds. The last 17 pounds probably took 4 months to drop with a lot of fluctuation along the way. So don't let the fluctuations worry you. I also suggest staying above 1000 calories a day, more if you are breast-feeding. As for the hot chocolate and Red Bull, I would get rid of them, or keep them as a treat with at most one a day. When I want a treat, I drink a Bai5 which is only 10 calories; they are sweetened with stevia and erythritol and only a little juice. I still keep that to no more than one a day. When you are short, you don't have room for empty calories, every calorie counts and needs to be nutritive, especially when you are down to such a low calorie count.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi,

I am 5'1 and I had a baby 12 weeks ago. On the 8th August I started to diet and so far I have lost 17lb. 161lb to 144lb. On the 16th October I weighed 143lb and I re weighed myself on the 17th and I now weigh 144lb and I still do. I know its only 4 days later but I am confused why I have gained 1lb and my weight is showing no sign of budging. I am on a 1000 calories diet and I never go over 1200. I walk around 1 hour every day or 30 mins on my exercise bike. My daily diet consist of one slice of peanut butter on toast, a quorn burger with no bread, and tea is normally quorn with veg or I will make chicken casserole with broccoli, carrots, onion, and green beans. I only drink sugar free drinks. Red bull zero and Cadbury's Highlight hot chocolate (I can have around 6 of these a day).

Any advice would be good thanks.

4 DAYS is the problem

If you have a 500 calorie deficit every day for seven days - you lose 1 pound. However, the scale can lie. Time of month = water weight, higher sodium day = water weight, sore muscles = water weight. Bowel movements (or lack of) = extra weight.

1,000 gross calories for a young person is reckless. You should be netting 1200. That means you eat 1200 + part of your exercise calories too. Only part because calorie burns are estimates.

Aggressive weight loss makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle. Fast weight loss often leads to more lean muscle loss than most people are comfortable with. Google skinny-fat - only the scale looks good.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

No, she's just lacking punctuation. That part should read, "Don't be scared to eat, too. 800-950? Baby girl, you're tripping!" It took me a couple of reads to get it.

I'm glad there are level headed people like you on the forums. I got it after reading it a few times as well, but I can't stand people here that flag replies for no reason. We should not flag people just because we disagree with them.

Anyway, OP, you have to stop. You and your child's well-being should be your only concerns right now. I have never had children, so moms of MFP please confirm; doesn't breastfeeding burn a bunch of calories? I've heard a bunch of women say that they shed a lot of pregnancy weight just by breastfeeding and walking daily. You already lost 17 pounds. You should not be eating 1000 calories per day; that is WAY too low. Be patient.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »

I'm glad there are level headed people like you on the forums. I got it after reading it a few times as well, but I can't stand people here that flag replies for no reason. We should not flag people just because we disagree with them.

Anyway, OP, you have to stop. You and your child's well-being should be your only concerns right now. I have never had children, so moms of MFP please confirm; doesn't breastfeeding burn a bunch of calories? I've heard a bunch of women say that they shed a lot of pregnancy weight just by breastfeeding and walking daily. You already lost 17 pounds. You should not be eating 1000 calories per day; that is WAY too low. Be patient.

It seems to be different for every new mom. I ate like crazy and kept losing way past my pre-pregnancy weight - I didn't even exercise other than taking walks with the baby. I have several friends that would lose everything, but the last 10 pounds while breastfeeding and then other friends who couldn't lose anything.
  • Vossii
    Vossii Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    the Depo injection does make you gain weight and also is linked to osteoporosis in young women. Not the best form of birth control IMO.
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options

lol no.
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options

i just had a baby i do not eat 800-950 calories. why would i tell her to eat 800-950 calories. lmbo !
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

i just had a baby i do not eat 800-950 calories. why would i tell her to eat 800-950 calories. lmbo !

No she isn't......read the comments re: lack of punctuation. Previous poster (MaidenTL) cleared it up nicely.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,222 Member
    Options
    People, 4 days without a weight loss is not a sign of incorrect logging or anything else. To the original poster, be patient, weight loss does not happen consistently for a number of reasons. Four days are not in anyway a long enough time to say you are not losing weight.

I also join the many people saying you need to eat more. Your current calorie consumption is far to low for someone taking care of a baby, especially if you are still breast feeding. I'm a dad and my wife is a stay at home mom, but when our child was a baby we were both much more active than we were before having a baby to take care of. Set your goals to something moderate, say 1 pound per week, and eat your calorie goal.