running outside when it's hot

Options
2»

Replies

• Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I'm in Texas and my first run in 90+ was NOT fun lol..it does take a few runs to adjust. I had to bring water, slow my pace down and give it some time. I moved my running time from 7:30pm to 8 so the sun isn't beating down still and it has helped. It is still 90 at 8pm but it is manageable. I'm only running 5k distances right now though so if you run longer/further you may want to do some reading on how to prepare and acclimate.

I live in TX, too. And, nope it sure wasn't fun running in 90+ weather! lol But I'm going to take your advice and try to work slowly into it. Maybe just start off w/walks later in the day, b/c you're right, it is still pretty hot. Hopefully, I'll build up acclimation (as others said) and will be able to at least jog. AND, I'M BRINGING MY WATER!!! lmao I just hate carrying it, but it's better than not having it at all.

Since I'm only running about 35-40 minutes, I just have a little 10oz handheld bottle just to wet my throat periodically. I drink a lot during the day before I run so that I'm pretty well hydrated. I also got a great visor that helps keep the sweat out of my eyes as well as the sun.
  • phog007
    phog007 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Living in Houston and running outside means it is pretty well "hot" at whatever time you choose. Usually I try to run in the evenings but I actually like to try and run in the hottest part of the day once a week or so.

This last weekend I ran for a couple of hours in the 100+ heat of the day. It is uncomfortable, but you get use to it and it makes me feel good to know my body can handle a few miles in those conditions.

With long runs in those temperatures I take several bottles of water and try to force drink often to make sure I stay hydrated. I also play close attention to my sweating (making sure I don't stop) and heart rate recovery on intervals.

I also feel this practice makes doing other activities outside like camping, bbq'ing, sports, etc. less uncomfortable in the heat of the day.