Low carb alternatives to a bread sandwich....but still as convenient?

Options
summerkissed
summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
Looking for some easy lunch box ideas that's as easy to eat as grabbing a sandwich out of a lunch box to eat while working still! But without the carbs of bread........ideas? Quiche we already do what other ideas are out there???

Replies

• StephanieJohnny
    StephanieJohnny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Looking for some easy lunch box ideas that's as easy to eat as grabbing a sandwich out of a lunch box to eat while working still! But without the carbs of bread........ideas? Quiche we already do what other ideas are out there???

Why not try soft tortillas? Or even lettuce wraps. You can practically make both of those super healthy.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Tortillas have a higher carb count than bread as well as much more fat! It's for a man sorry should have put that down......he wouldn't be impressed with lettuce wraps lol mind you we do eat San choy bouy and he loves that!.....ill put that one past him :smiley:
  • StephanieJohnny
    StephanieJohnny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Tortillas have a higher carb count than bread as well as much more fat! It's for a man sorry should have put that down......he wouldn't be impressed with lettuce wraps lol mind you we do eat San choy bouy and he loves that!.....ill put that one past him :smiley:

Ah! Yeah, sorry, I tend to buy the "healthier" tortilla wraps. But lettuce wraps are the only other thing I can truly think of. You could do egg roll ups, but eggs cold aren't so fabulous. So be weary on that. Otherwise, maybe try a lightly seasoned pasta salad? Or even other kinds who knows! Salads and soups aren't as easy. But. Im too sure, sorry.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    He drives machinery and doesn't stop for lunch so eating anything other than a sandwich type thing is too hard to do.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I like Tumaro's Let's Skip the Sandwich Wraps - only 60 calories and low carb/high in fiber.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    I like Tumaro's Let's Skip the Sandwich Wraps - only 60 calories and low carb/high in fiber.

Sound great but not available in Australia :neutral:
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins? Most are 100 cals
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cheese burger without the bread.
  • spunkyorke
    spunkyorke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a gourmet burger restaurant as a cook and people would sometimes order a burger in iceberg lettuce. I found that it held pretty well and has almost no calories :) We would core it and and cut it into fourths. Use 3 or 4 layers of lettuce to ensure sturdiness! Wrap it nicely with a paper towel or parchment paper and you're good to go. Also a tip: when you're choosing iceberg lettuce for sandwiching, it's good to buy the ones that aren't dense and kind of feel hollow.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Wrapping in something like collard greens is much more sturdy than lettuce.
    collard-wrap-with-red-pepper-hummus.jpg

Also, you can use a cucumber to make a portable "sub"
    Cucumber-Sub-1024x682.jpg

I'd just wrap them in tin foil and he can eat them burrito style. If he can drink a thermos, that opens up the possibility of any pureed vegetable soup (tomato, butternut squash, cream of anything).
  • CompanionNerd
    CompanionNerd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use rice paper spring roll wrappers to wrap up my sandwich ingredients.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I think I'm loving the lettuce idea now! It's hot here now so no more soups which I've done before.....the rice paper rolls I need to find in our supermarket I think the kids would love those as well! Thanks everyone!!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not sure how low carb you are going but have you tried Lavash bread? I like the Joseph's Middle East bakery ones. They also make a low carb version, but I'm not watching carbs so I get the regular. I also use Bibb lettuce for lettuce cups for things like tacos and stuff.

Most of the time, my favorite is just to eat my sandwich open faced. Half the carbs, half the calories.

Edited to add that the regular Joseph's lavash bread have 7 carbs.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Not sure how low carb you are going but have you tried Lavash bread? I like the Joseph's Middle East bakery ones. They also make a low carb version, but I'm not watching carbs so I get the regular. I also use Bibb lettuce for lettuce cups for things like tacos and stuff.

Most of the time, my favorite is just to eat my sandwich open faced. Half the carbs, half the calories.

Edited to add that the regular Joseph's lavash bread have 7 carbs.

I'm not cutting his carbs out just reducing, he has a toasted sandwich for breaky then a couple of sandwiches for lunch, so just finding yummy alternatives to bread that are convenient to eat while still working
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Low carb tortillas. I know that a lot of tortillas are worse than bread, but La Tortilla factory, Flat Out, and Tumaro's, have 60-80 calories tortillas with a lot of fiber and protein.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Jimmy John's sub chain in the US makes an "unwich" we eat fairly often & would be easy to recreate at home. They lay out iceberg lettuce on their sub paper, fill it w/ sub meats & cheese...then roll it up in the paper.

vv89mjxpe7nf.png

We like the Tumaro's brand of low carb tortillas here too, unfortunate you don't have the option.
    JJ.png 206.1K
  • fireball1970
    fireball1970 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the lettuce wraps made the night before. Lettuce has a lot of moisture in it & will make your cheese get funky !!! Sorry to say I learned this the hard way !!!
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    romaine lettuce or low carb wraps like extreme wellness tortillas or flatones :-)
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Can you get this? Herman Brot Low Carb Bread only 5% carbs. 2g of carbs per slice. Tastes delicious!

Low Carbohydrate
    The unique low carb characteristics and combination of wholegrains and legumes perfectly position our bread to support the management of weight loss and blood glucose control.
    Research also tells us that consuming a lower carbohydrate intake, induces a greater weight loss, assists in improving blood glucose control * (when carbohydrate intake provides 30% of energy), in minimising the loss of basal metabolic rate associated with weight loss and supports a reduction in major cardiovascular risk factors.
    The consumption of wholegrains have been identified to be protective against the development of Type II Diabetes, improves the effectiveness of insulin and assists in weight loss and limiting weight regain.
    In addition to the above mentioned health benefits, our product is a tasty, nutritious bread that can be enjoyed each day as part of a healthy balanced diet.
    *(When carbohydrate intake provides 30% of energy)

PLEASE COMPARE CARBS PROTEIN GI
    Herman Brot Low Carb *** 5% 26% 24***
    Wholemeal Bread* 40% 9% 65**
    White Bread* 45% 10% 71**
    Burgen Soy & Lin 31.5% 14.4% 52
    Lower Carb Seed 27.7% 13.8% N/A
    Lower Carb Soy & Sesame 29.3% 15.8% N/A
    Pasta 25% 4% 53****
    * Food standards Australia New Zealand; NUTTAB 2010 Online searchable data. ** Glycemic Index; University of Sydney: Online searchable data; updated August 2013.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    Jimmy John's sub chain in the US makes an "unwich" we eat fairly often & would be easy to recreate at home. They lay out iceberg lettuce on their sub paper, fill it w/ sub meats & cheese...then roll it up in the paper.

vv89mjxpe7nf.png

We like the Tumaro's brand of low carb tortillas here too, unfortunate you don't have the option.

That looks great! Yummo