How long to try the same thing?

Options
This time last year, I ate 1700 calories and maintained my weight . I worked a retail job and was always on my feet, and walked to and from work, class, etc.

Other than that, I did not exercise, except for the occasional run with my boyfriend.

This summer, I got a new desk job. I walk less. Naturally, my new lifestyle made me put on a few pounds.

I lost the weight I gained by adding in more (5x/week, alternating cardio and HIIT) exercise and eating less.

But now, my weight loss has stalled.

I don't have much less to lose; I just want to lose a few "vanity" pounds and see more definition. I wouldn't mind the lack of weight change if my measurements were shrinking, but they're also not budging.

I'm 5'0" and eating 1200 calories. Now I'm wondering if it's better to bump up my intake, or if it's safe to bring it down even more.

Also maybe worth adding--I've always been very "regular"--except now I'm finding myself more bloated and having less bowel movements, despite drinking lots of water and getting more than enough fiber daily--can this affect things? Is this a source of concern?

Replies

• sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would increase your calories for a few days see if that helps things shift. I find hormones can play havok with my 'morning' ritual. Also dont drink too much water and too much fiber could have the opposite effect, maybe just cut back on fibre for a day or two x
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I would increase your calories for a few days see if that helps things shift. I find hormones can play havok with my 'morning' ritual. Also dont drink too much water and too much fiber could have the opposite effect, maybe just cut back on fibre for a day or two x

What? Drink water. Your body needs it. Dont cut back on fiber either. Adjust your calories TDEE.
    You may not be eating enough. 1200 calories im sure is way to low. Never go under 1200 calories.
  • paulje03
    paulje03 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, just as an update, I bumped calories up by 200, and it's too early to say, but so far, so good. No weight gain, more "regular."

I actually did read up on fiber and too much can, in fact, be a bad thing, so I've been trying to be mindful of that, but I eat a plant-based diet so that is a huge challenge.
  • riveragirl15
    riveragirl15 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you want to be more defined... you're going to have to star incorporating lifting. Start out with machines. maybe 2-3 times a week. You'll start burning those stubborn calories before you know it..
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The magic question is could she be eating more than she thinks?

OP are you weighing your food that log into MFP? When I hear people say they are eating 1200 calories and not loosing weight I am the opposite. I do not tell people to eat more.. My advice is to make sure the 1200 (or whatever the number is) really is that number.

Also if you eat back your exercise calories are you eating back all of them or a portion and how are you calculating your calorie burns.

Drink water. Drink half your body weight in ounces. If you weight 150, drink 75 ounces... YOu will pee all of it out that your body does not need.

And too much fiber can be counter productive. Check the fiber in MFP to see what foods you are eating that are lacking the fiber. taking over the counter fiber can cause rebound affect...

If you have not had a normal BM in about 3 days (max) you should ask your pharmacist and/or doctor for something over the counter to see if it works. If not you must go see the doc.. hands down.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    paulje03 wrote: »
    This time last year, I ate 1700 calories and maintained my weight . I worked a retail job and was always on my feet, and walked to and from work, class, etc.

Other than that, I did not exercise, except for the occasional run with my boyfriend.

This summer, I got a new desk job. I walk less. Naturally, my new lifestyle made me put on a few pounds.

I lost the weight I gained by adding in more (5x/week, alternating cardio and HIIT) exercise and eating less.

But now, my weight loss has stalled.

I don't have much less to lose; I just want to lose a few "vanity" pounds and see more definition. I wouldn't mind the lack of weight change if my measurements were shrinking, but they're also not budging.

I'm 5'0" and eating 1200 calories. Now I'm wondering if it's better to bump up my intake, or if it's safe to bring it down even more.

Also maybe worth adding--I've always been very "regular"--except now I'm finding myself more bloated and having less bowel movements, despite drinking lots of water and getting more than enough fiber daily--can this affect things? Is this a source of concern?

You should look into some kind of strength training if you want to see more "definition".

You don't say if you use a food scale to weigh/measure everything you eat/drink. Before bumping up/down any calories I'd tighten up my logging first.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stalled?
    How do you track your calories in? Do you log everything, weighing with a scale for accuracy? Or measure with cups/spoons, estimate quantities, etc.?
  • paulje03
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I weigh and measure my food meticulously. So I know for sure(as well as I can) that I had been eating 1200 calories a day. I put close to nothing in my mouth that I haven't pre-logged a day in advance. If I do, then I promptly account for it after the fact. I tend to round up my consumption, when in doubt. Better safe than sorry.

I do incorporate some lifting into the routine I have been doing. I've been doing what I can exercise-wise considering I'm studying to be a CPA and I have to spend a lot of time in the library. So about an hour or less per day of exercise has been the cap. And have not been eating back exercise calories.

I mentioned I'm only 5'0 which is why I'd considered lowering calories more. I have a healthy bmi and have an athletic build already; I am simply concerned with losing extra fat.

Every calculator I've used says I should be eating less than 1200, even though people always cite 1200 as the minimum, and though I have historically been able to lose weight eating more than 1200 calories.

My main concern was that usually my method worked with my body; however I hadn't seen a budge in the scale or measurements in about 2 weeks. I was wondering if after two weeks (a month total of eating 1200 calories--before that it was 1400)I should continue trying the same methods (was I not being patient enough) or should I try something new?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do use a food scale for everything?. Do you pick the correct entries from the database?
  • paulje03
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Some samples. I just post everything in dinner for simplicity. I make 90% of the things I eat. The waffle was my recipe and I divided the servings by weight. Everything else I measure by grams
  • paulje03
    Options
    dt6u1nn3zyvv.jpg
    dl4y7n81lhpo.jpg
    0c6voroziaxu.jpg
    zwtv540xmqbi.jpg

Some of these are listed in cups, but the nutrition label included grams per cup, etc, so I recorded them as a fraction of the serving in cups to get to grams. But I weighed it all
  • paulje03
    Options
    And the exercise tracker is not accurate. I suppose I could be more diligent in recording exercise, but I've always opted not to include exercise at all so I'm not tempted to eat back those calories
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Cups and tbsp?
  • paulje03
    Options
    Like I said, I weighed it. I went by weight. They are in the database as cups and spoons
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Like I said, I weighed it. I went by weight. They are in the database as cups and spoons

If you went by weight how are they in as cups?
  • paulje03
    Options
    0kfnd02h4bfu.jpg

Example above. Note that the serving is listed as grams and cups. I entered it into my diary as cups, but measured by weight.

I'm an accountant. I work with numbers. I converted units. If you don't believe me, I don't care--I'm not here to argue whether I weighed my food or not.

I seem to have the issue under control now, anyway but thanks for all the input
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

To be fair, I do this sometimes. The package says a serving is 1/2 cup/ 100 grams, so I measure out 100 grams and log it as half a cup.

OP, if you are only trying to lose a few vanity pounds, it will be VERY slow and will not always show up on the scale every week. You are basically aiming for 1/2 lb per week, which can easily be hidden by normal fluctuations. I would say give it a full month or even 6 weeks of not seeing any change before you worry about a new plan.

ETA: If you aren't as regular as you used to be, you might be carrying around some extra ummm waste which would affect your weight as well. I would try to get that squared away too before changing anything else. Make sure you are getting enough fiber and drinking plenty of water!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

To be fair, I do this sometimes. The package says a serving is 1/2 cup/ 100 grams, so I measure out 100 grams and log it as half a cup.

OP, if you are only trying to lose a few vanity pounds, it will be VERY slow and will not always show up on the scale every week. You are basically aiming for 1/2 lb per week, which can easily be hidden by normal fluctuations. I would say give it a full month or even 6 weeks of not seeing any change before you worry about a new plan.

ETA: If you aren't as regular as you used to be, you might be carrying around some extra ummm waste which would affect your weight as well. I would try to get that squared away too before changing anything else. Make sure you are getting enough fiber and drinking plenty of water!

I do that too. If something is accurate in the database, but only lists the measurement in tbsps, cups, etc. I will look at my package, see where it says something like 1 cup (125g) and if my measurement was 75g, I will round it up to 76, do 76/125 which is 0.608 and enter it as .61 cups on MFP.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    0kfnd02h4bfu.jpg

Example above. Note that the serving is listed as grams and cups. I entered it into my diary as cups, but measured by weight.

I'm an accountant. I work with numbers. I converted units. If you don't believe me, I don't care--I'm not here to argue whether I weighed my food or not.

I seem to have the issue under control now, anyway but thanks for all the input

Did I say I don't believe you?

I asked why you would log in cups if you weighed it as it seems like a 2 step approach to me

Wowsa