What are your best HABITS for losing weight?

Options

Replies

• anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Weighing my food has been the best habit. All I can say is no wonder I'm fat...
    This.
  • AudreyLou89
    AudreyLou89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keeping breakfast/lunch staples in the office! If I know there's a packet of instant oatmeal and a k-cup waiting in my desk, it's a lot easier to avoid the drive thru on mornings I get out of the house without a proper breakfast packed. Ditto cans of soup, frozen entrees, etc. I make an effort to pack a well balanced lunch, but on days it doesn't happen I've found that having a back up plan prevents me from heading out to grab something quick for lunch and coming back with a feast of impulse buys from the CVS down the road.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Kind of complex but my belief that I am driven & motivated by a higher power for a higher purpose. Also being surrounded with those who are on the same mission as me... who have the same goals, who walk the same path, and who encourage one another.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My best habit is aiming for a small deficit. You don't need an iron will, or monster burns, or gallons of water, or most of the other "tricks and tips" to survive hunger.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Planning a menu for the week and rarely buying the foods I know I'll have major trouble going overboard with(mainly ice cream).
    Ooh, yes, this too.

Smart shopping is key for me. Cannot eat what you don't buy!

Weight loss begins in the grocery store.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Have some healthy snacks at home and work so you have something healthy to eat. Try to avoid fried foods, watch portion sizes. Weigh and log your food helps a lot. Have an alternative to something sweet and salty that is healthy. Drink lots of water hot tea. I seem to eat healthier the days I exercise too. Don't totally deprive yourself of things, have a small piece of something once in awhile and be done. Up your calories a little, eat back like half of your calories burned you will still be doing great, you want to be able to do something long term, not be totally sick and burnt out. Good luck and keep it up.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    The best habits I've learned & kept up with:
    Definitely a lot more water & tea, especially in mornings & evening time. Helps fill me up!
    Planning my meals ahead, snacks too!
    Switching up and rotating foods, not just stuck on several super-healthy foods, but a variety of yummy foods helps me.
    Logging every time I eat
    And have good snacks handy

Hearing other peoples habits & tips is great & very helpful. Best wishes!
  • Ruth1212
    Ruth1212 Posts: 6,326 Member
    Options
    Weighing myself every day
    Weighing food consistently
    Regular consistent exercise
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I haven't been too successful but I find having a water bottle I like helps with my water intake. I also choose smaller bowls and plates when I'm eating which definitely helps when my partner likes to eat larger portions and then go back for seconds. I also like to schedule my exercise in advance using the online booking system at my pilates studio so I often buy a 1 month pass and schedule in all my classes.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I cleaned out my pantry, fridge and freezer and gave all my unhealthy processed foods to a friend. There is now nothing unhealthy in the house for me to eat. It takes more effort to cook/bake something high calorie than it does for me to grab a quick healthy low-calorie snack. My family and I are enjoying my from made from scratch foods so much better than all that convenience boxed and canned crap I used to cook with. It's takes a lot more preparation and planning, but my family and I are getting healthier, losing weight and feeling so much better.
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    1: Weighing myself daily 2: Weighing food 3: Consistent exercise. Weighing daily isn't for everyone but it allowed me to take note of weight fluctuations and connect it to my daily intake and activity. Now that I'm in maintenance I don't feel as much pressure but I try to stay consistent in the habits that got me to my goal.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    1. Weigh everything
    2. If I didn't cook it, I don't know how many calories are in it.
    3. The weight on packaged food is a MINIMUM. Packages often weigh more. Don't trust the package weight.
    4. If a weight in grams is given on a package use that. Grams have more resolution than ounces.
    5. If possible NEVER use a volumetric measure. Way too many variables affect how much a container can hold.
    6. Buy a calibration weight for your food scale. It will allow you to verify the scale's accuracy.
    7. Enter your food before you eat. It's easier to enter your food when its in front of you. It's also harder to forget things.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1. working out early in the morning, before life happens or gets in the way
    2. drinking water at every meal and between every meal
    3. loading my plate with mostly vegetables
    4. I choose to pay more for just one serving of things that I should limit than buy a package and feel tempted by having a bulk supply
    5. I lay out my exercise clothes the night before
    6. logging food
    7. using a food scale
    8. using smaller plates
    9. drinking tea after dinner to end the eating
    10. I sign up for marathons before I am fit, when I know it's time to really get on board a more serious exercise program.
    11. I use protein shakes as treats
    12. When I eat out, I make it a point to create healthy options even when they aren't listed
    13. I log my exercise
    14. If I feel too tired go for a run I go for a walk
    15. I take a giant thermos of lemon water or tea to movies so I'm not tempted to eat my kids' popcorn
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm going with food scale, FTW!
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Once I was into the routine for a little bit I started noticing my routine that I would end up going over my calorie goal Fridays and Saturdays. So I adjusted. I lowered my Sun-Mon-Tue-Wed-Thur calories down to 1200 so that I can have 2000 on Fridays and Saturdays. It helps me to stay on track and not have to worry so much about blowing my deficit that I was building all week. So I now look at my weekly totals more than my daily goals. It gives me more flexability and takes some of the stress off.

Same here. I just adjusted my weekend goals for the same reason.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Just logging. Even if all I'm doing is making a best guesstimate, logging keeps me aware of what how my day is going. I have a tendency to snack from habit, even when I'm not hungry. By logging my day, it's easier to resist that habit snacking when I know that I'm close to my goal!
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Planning a menu for the week and rarely buying the foods I know I'll have major trouble going overboard with(mainly ice cream).
    Ooh, yes, this too.

Smart shopping is key for me. Cannot eat what you don't buy!

Weight loss begins in the grocery store.

^^^ This is priceless! Weight loss begins at the grocery store...that is so true!!!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Log. Everything.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    walking, which won't be happening in the Winter :'(
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Power walking.