Supplements

voicu_b
voicu_b Posts: 4 Member
Hello. I think it will be helpful for lots of people to share the supplements that are used along the traing and diet ..and maybe to share some opinions about.

Replies

• voicu_b
    Here are mine.
    Arnold IRON Whey shake
    Waxy Maize carbs
    Animal Pack
    BCCA Stack
    Amino 1900
    Weider Creatine (KreaGenic)
    Omega-3
    L-Arginine
    Glucosamine and Chondroitin

To much for the liver ? :smile:
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Not really too much for the liver... but too much for the wallet. What are your goals? I mean, I'm bodybuilding and I don't take that many sups.

The Iron whey is just protein... and expensive at that.
    BCAA's aren't necessary if you are getting enough protein unless you are training fasted.
    Amino 1900 is again, something that you can easily get from food.
    I'd switch to a monohydrate creatine... cheaper by volume and there's not any benefit to using any other type... they all function the same more or less.
    Animal Pack is just a really expensive multi vitamin.
    You're already getting Arginine from the Amino 1900 so you're double stacking this for no real reason.

More importantly, what is your diet like and what is your training schedule? You're long term goals will determine both more effectively.
  • kayemali
    kayemali Posts: 59 Member
    I've been using Optimum nutrition mass gainer for 3 weeks solid now and have put on 3 pounds in 2 weeks! So I'd Defo recommend, but ONLY if you have it consistently every day and also eating good and the right food so you don't put on fat!
  • DaddieCat
    Ugh... now I wish I'd read that more clearly. I can't respect myself for using the wrong form of your in that last sentence there. Too late to edit it now.
  • voicu_b
    My training program is focused to tear my muscle out and good recover after for that muscle.My food diet is 4 meals/day pretty consistent and rich in carbs,fat and protein. My goal calories is 3200 /day.
    Otherwise , my supplements comes to fill the gaps..and for safty I overtake..but my walet is fine..the only wory is for my health..because I never take so much supplemens when I was training in the past(because I just restart to train after five years of pause).
  • My supplements : Early morning with orange just IRON, Morning : Espirulina and Ubiquiol, After training : BCCA. My goal calories 2500
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Whey 2 times a day and bcaa for me (6 days a week).. except a daily multi vitamins...LOL

I get exhausted taking the two supplements I take a day.. Really do not want to spend too much more a month on anything else.. My personal opinion, a lot of supplements are overkill...
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    voicu_b wrote: »
    My training program is focused to tear my muscle out and good recover after for that muscle.My food diet is 4 meals/day pretty consistent and rich in carbs,fat and protein. My goal calories is 3200 /day.
    Otherwise , my supplements comes to fill the gaps..and for safty I overtake..but my walet is fine..the only wory is for my health..because I never take so much supplements when I was training in the past(because I just restart to train after five years of pause).

No, that's not too much, or going to hurt you. I don't know how much it will help. I recommend a multivitamin, fish oil or some other source of EFAs, and vitamin c. If you have some extra money, BCAAs, glutamine, and creatine. I consider protein powder convenient food, not really a supplement. Beyond those, save your money, or spend it on drugs so you actually get something out of it.
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre-Workout
    Optimum Nutrition Opti Men Multi Vitamin
    Fish Oil
    CLA
    L-carnitine
    Pro Jym (cookies and cream)
    Beast Creature Creatine
    ReGen BCAAs

Some other stuff I'm not going to mention because after I finish what I have I'm not wasting anymore money on it. Damn gimmicks. I agree with @ryanflebbe, save your money or spend it on drugs. The only thing I can definitely tell you has any observable effect on me is the ON Gold Standard Pre-workout.
  • girishmenezes
    girishmenezes Posts: 11 Member
    Daily multivitamin, ON Gold whey protein and high EFA Omega 3.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Otherwise , my supplements comes to fill the gaps..and for safty I overtake..but my walet is fine..the only wory is for my health..because I never take so much supplemens when I was training in the past(because I just restart to train after five years of pause).

At 3200 calories, you should be able to get almost all of the nutrition you need from food, unless your diet is terrible.

I would also switch to creatine monohydrate as it's the effective creatine. Additionally, if you are hitting your protein goals, you don't need BCAAs let alone BCAAs and whey.... not to mention that whey has BCAAs in it.

I only take a multivitamin and fish oil. I occasionally have a protein shake.

Also, are you following a structured program? Also, all programs are designed to break muscle down....
  • voicu_b
    edited October 2015
    My 3200 calories/day are coming both from food and supplements.just from food I can not have this much calories,protein,etc. my supplements are coming to complete my dayli needs. My workouts are not as perfect as I want yet, but I manage to have work all my muscle and after to rest them for at least two days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    My 3200 calories/day are coming both from food and supplements.just from food I can not have this much calories,protein,etc. my supplements are coming to complete my dayli needs. My workouts are not as perfect as I want yet, but I manage to have work all my muscle and after to rest them for at least two days.

Well if you want suggestions in how to improve your diet (and stop wasting money on a crap ton of supplements) you can open your diary. And I get the feeling you aren't following a structured program are you?

Also, if you want to research supplementation validity, check out examine.com
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

Well if you want suggestions in how to improve your diet (and stop wasting money on a crap ton of supplements) you can open your diary. And I get the feeling you aren't following a structured program are you?

Also, if you want to research supplementation validity, check out examine.com

examine.com good gouge @psulemon
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Whey - only if needed to hit 200g of protein.
    Fish Oil - Daily
    Creatine - 5g Daily
    L-Glutamine 5g Daily
    Opt. Nutrition BCAA's - 2 Capsules on training days
    Multivitamen (Equate) - Daily
  • Wd40kneecaps
    Wd40kneecaps Posts: 9 Member
    5g Creatine monohydrate along with (I consider it a supplement) at least litre of low fat milk. At about 40g protein per litre I find it an affordable way to boost my protein intake.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Supplementation is the biggest broscience go to for most guys because of all the hype it receives in magazines and promotion.
    From experience as a natural bodybuilder, I took several pills and powders a day which ran me about $200 a month in supplements. It wasn't till I stopped competing, that I scaled way back and went back to school to study and found out that 90% of the supplements hardly even help and/or are extremely exaggerated in results. Continuing with just working out and eating right, I packed on another 30lbs over the years without them just fine.
    Also, many have no idea how supplements are manufactured. Here's a discussion on it:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270050/supplements-send-23-000-americans-to-the-emergency-room/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DaddieCat
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Supplementation is the biggest broscience go to for most guys because of all the hype it receives in magazines and promotion.
    From experience as a natural bodybuilder, I took several pills and powders a day which ran me about $200 a month in supplements. It wasn't till I stopped competing, that I scaled way back and went back to school to study and found out that 90% of the supplements hardly even help and/or are extremely exaggerated in results. Continuing with just working out and eating right, I packed on another 30lbs over the years without them just fine.
    Also, many have no idea how supplements are manufactured. Here's a discussion on it:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270050/supplements-send-23-000-americans-to-the-emergency-room/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks for pointing this out. That was the gist of what I was getting at with my post. Supplements are optional by their very nature and often serve little to no need. I'm bodybuilding now, and everything I study and learn in addition to all of my coaches support the lack of need for supplements provided diet is on track.
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    I forgot stimulants. I think they can help you push your workout harder in the gym. Whether it's an overpriced preworkout, or a caffeine tablet, or yohimbine, or whatever. It's certainly not necessary though as some obsessive preworkout users seem to think.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    I'm looking into supplements myself (so i'm far from being an expert on this subject)... for the longest time all i used was protein shakes and bars and a daily Multivitamin... but i have recently bought carnitine, BCAA, Glutamine, Omega 3... i got a bottle (3month supply of HMB) for free also... i'm not sure if it will benefit me.. but I will take all the supplements for 3 months if i see any improvement over just protein I will continue... if not.. I will not.. i'm not trying to be a bodybuilder or a powerlifter ... just scary... :smile:

The most important thing to remember no supplement will work if you don't kill the weights... and eat the carlories needed for healthy muscle growth..