Food Craving

Options
My main problem I have with losing weight is food cravings. I can't tell if I'm hungry or not. Sometimes it is just a very strong craving for certain food. I can't control it. Especially in the middle of the night I wake up wanting something to eat but I want to lose weigh. It is really hard because then I can't go back to sleep.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Sometimes going too low can cause food cravings and it can certainly cause us to wake up hungry in the middle of the night.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i noticed ive been having food cravings and binges a lot more and have been working on controlling it. The things that seam to work though im still trying to figure out the cause is calories being too low and not including enough fat in my diet. Its either one of these two or both of these. Try upping both a little and see what happens.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    i noticed ive been having food cravings and binges a lot more and have been working on controlling it. The things that seam to work though im still trying to figure out the cause is calories being too low and not including enough fat in my diet. Its either one of these two or both of these. Try upping both a little and see what happens.

This is a great point. When I try to go low fat, even when my calories are in a good range, I get lots of cravings too.
  • xxenchantxx14
    xxenchantxx14 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Sometimes going too low can cause food cravings and it can certainly cause us to wake up hungry in the middle of the night.
    This app is telling me to eat 1200 calories per day
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Did you enter two pounds a week for your goal rate of loss? What is your current weight?

If you enter an aggressive goal (like two pounds a week), then you will get a very low calorie goal (like 1,200). But you could potentially lose weight while eating more if you chose a more reasonable goal. You're probably having cravings because your goal is low and you ARE hungry.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

But how many are you actually eating each day (on average)?
  • journey2zen
    journey2zen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Any chance it's only a desire for food triggered by feelings/stress/boredom/you-name-it?

That's my problem. I eat more than enough, and I have a lot of wholesome foods included. It's just my mind telling me to get more food. Perhaps it's the same for you.

I haven't overcome this, by the way. Still dealing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    My main problem I have with losing weight is food cravings. I can't tell if I'm hungry or not. Sometimes it is just a very strong craving for certain food. I can't control it. Especially in the middle of the night I wake up wanting something to eat but I want to lose weigh. It is really hard because then I can't go back to sleep.

I budget calories for a pre-bed snack. I get a lot more than 1200, though, but I'm almost 5'7" and only trying to lose a pound per week, and I earn calories from exercising.
  • xxenchantxx14
    Options
    sometimes thirst can be confused by hunger - make sure you are getting your water in daily
    hope you are meeting your protein daily
    opinion: 1,200 might be too low to sustain for someone with 73 pounds to lose - too aggressive
    How many calories should I do? I did think it was probably bad
  • xxenchantxx14
    Options
    Any chance it's only a desire for food triggered by feelings/stress/boredom/you-name-it?

That's my problem. I eat more than enough, and I have a lot of wholesome foods included. It's just my mind telling me to get more food. Perhaps it's the same for you.

I haven't overcome this, by the way. Still dealing.
    That's exactly what is happening to be me. It is mainly bordem.
  • xxenchantxx14
    Options

But how many are you actually eating each day (on average)?

1200. I did go over today but by 50. But I also went over yesterday too.
  • xxenchantxx14
    Options

Did you enter two pounds a week for your goal rate of loss? What is your current weight?

If you enter an aggressive goal (like two pounds a week), then you will get a very low calorie goal (like 1,200). But you could potentially lose weight while eating more if you chose a more reasonable goal. You're probably having cravings because your goal is low and you ARE hungry.
    Yeah. I really wanted to lose weight so I chose 2 pound per week

• xxenchantxx14
    Options
    1200. But I did go over to day by 50 and yesterday too

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Change it to one pound to week, weigh all your food so you know you are accurate in your calorie counting, and give it a few weeks. You'll lose weight and feel more comfortable while doing it. it's much more sustainable when you don't feel so hungry all the time.
    Also, make sure that you are choosing foods that you enjoy, and that are satiating for you. Many people find that foods high in protein and fats make them feel fuller and have that feeling last longer.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you think.

Don't deprive yourself of things you love.

Make room for things you love within your calorie limit.

This will let you lose weight sustainably, and give you healthy habits for a lifetime of weight maintenance.

Don't believe everything you think!
  • xxenchantxx14
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Don't believe everything you think.

Don't deprive yourself of things you love.

Make room for things you love within your calorie limit.

This will let you lose weight sustainably, and give you healthy habits for a lifetime of weight maintenance.

Don't believe everything you think!
    True. I lifted my calories more

• xxenchantxx14
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Change it to one pound to week, weigh all your food so you know you are accurate in your calorie counting, and give it a few weeks. You'll lose weight and feel more comfortable while doing it. it's much more sustainable when you don't feel so hungry all the time.
    Also, make sure that you are choosing foods that you enjoy, and that are satiating for you. Many people find that foods high in protein and fats make them feel fuller and have that feeling last longer.
    I lifted my calories from 1200 to 1432. Is that better
  • buckbrie
    buckbrie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too - there is actually a new diagnosable eating disorder ( I saw a doctor for it) for people who want to /do eat the majority of their daily calories after dinnertime and wake up at night wanting food and often cannot sleep without. a lot is boredom/using food to cope with something. and a lot if habit - if this is what you've always done (or even your family does and you learned to do) then it will take a while for you to learn to do something else when youre bored/stressed/etc.
    the intense cravings will ease up - not entirely but mostly unless youre pmsing. but just be smart - if you want carbs load up on brown rice (eat a cup plain to hit that craving). chocolate - pudding snacks or tootsie rolls or peanut butter nutella mix - just a spoonful (and if you budget it (pb is high in cals). salt - overload something heatly with the salt shaker (its ok sometimes if you drink lots of water too.
    doesn't sound as appetizing as cheating on your diet but it works.
    also - get sugar free Metamucil. I found that chugging a big glass of water with a serving of this stuff is not only healthy but you are so full you cant imagine eating anything!
    and yes 1200 is crazy hard to do. try 1500- more doable if you eat smart and load up on low cal veggies (I put my food over a bed of greens - still tastes the same but fills you up)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    buckbrie wrote: »
    I have that problem too - there is actually a new diagnosable eating disorder ( I saw a doctor for it) for people who want to /do eat the majority of their daily calories after dinnertime and wake up at night wanting food and often cannot sleep without. a lot is boredom/using food to cope with something. and a lot if habit - if this is what you've always done (or even your family does and you learned to do) then it will take a while for you to learn to do something else when youre bored/stressed/etc.
    the intense cravings will ease up - not entirely but mostly unless youre pmsing. but just be smart - if you want carbs load up on brown rice (eat a cup plain to hit that craving). chocolate - pudding snacks or tootsie rolls or peanut butter nutella mix - just a spoonful (and if you budget it (pb is high in cals). salt - overload something heatly with the salt shaker (its ok sometimes if you drink lots of water too.
    doesn't sound as appetizing as cheating on your diet but it works.
    also - get sugar free Metamucil. I found that chugging a big glass of water with a serving of this stuff is not only healthy but you are so full you cant imagine eating anything!
    and yes 1200 is crazy hard to do. try 1500- more doable if you eat smart and load up on low cal veggies (I put my food over a bed of greens - still tastes the same but fills you up)

What is the name of this eating disorder?