Food Craving

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Sometimes going too low can cause food cravings and it can certainly cause us to wake up hungry in the middle of the night.
    This app is telling me to eat 1200 calories per day

Did you enter two pounds a week for your goal rate of loss? What is your current weight?

If you enter an aggressive goal (like two pounds a week), then you will get a very low calorie goal (like 1,200). But you could potentially lose weight while eating more if you chose a more reasonable goal. You're probably having cravings because your goal is low and you ARE hungry.
    Yeah. I really wanted to lose weight so I chose 2 pound per week

I think you can really want to lose weight and still do it in a sustainable and more fun way. I had my goal set to .5 pounds for the last part of my weight loss -- I still really wanted to lose weight, but it's no fun being hungry and battling cravings all the time. When I changed my goals, everything got easier. Good luck!
  • xxenchantxx14
    xxenchantxx14 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    buckbrie wrote: »
    I have that problem too - there is actually a new diagnosable eating disorder ( I saw a doctor for it) for people who want to /do eat the majority of their daily calories after dinnertime and wake up at night wanting food and often cannot sleep without. a lot is boredom/using food to cope with something. and a lot if habit - if this is what you've always done (or even your family does and you learned to do) then it will take a while for you to learn to do something else when youre bored/stressed/etc.
    the intense cravings will ease up - not entirely but mostly unless youre pmsing. but just be smart - if you want carbs load up on brown rice (eat a cup plain to hit that craving). chocolate - pudding snacks or tootsie rolls or peanut butter nutella mix - just a spoonful (and if you budget it (pb is high in cals). salt - overload something heatly with the salt shaker (its ok sometimes if you drink lots of water too.
    doesn't sound as appetizing as cheating on your diet but it works.
    also - get sugar free Metamucil. I found that chugging a big glass of water with a serving of this stuff is not only healthy but you are so full you cant imagine eating anything!
    and yes 1200 is crazy hard to do. try 1500- more doable if you eat smart and load up on low cal veggies (I put my food over a bed of greens - still tastes the same but fills you up)
    I raise it to 1,432 I was thinking about brown rice too
  • xxenchantxx14
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Sometimes going too low can cause food cravings and it can certainly cause us to wake up hungry in the middle of the night.
    This app is telling me to eat 1200 calories per day

Did you enter two pounds a week for your goal rate of loss? What is your current weight?
    True

If you enter an aggressive goal (like two pounds a week), then you will get a very low calorie goal (like 1,200). But you could potentially lose weight while eating more if you chose a more reasonable goal. You're probably having cravings because your goal is low and you ARE hungry.
    Yeah. I really wanted to lose weight so I chose 2 pound per week

I think you can really want to lose weight and still do it in a sustainable and more fun way. I had my goal set to .5 pounds for the last part of my weight loss -- I still really wanted to lose weight, but it's no fun being hungry and battling cravings all the time. When I changed my goals, everything got easier. Good luck!
    True
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you have a good strategy going forward now. For those reading your post with similar cravings, here's a couple ideas.
    • Analyse your feeling. Is it hunger, boredom, habit?
    • It is easier to divert a habit instead of trying to break it. So if it is boredom in the middle of the night, try drinking a full glass of water and read a little bit before going back to bed. So you address the boredom but divert the old habit.
    • A diet too close to the minimum can give you genuine hunger signals. Controlling your intake to increase your daily calories by 100-200 a day can satisfy that genuine need.
  • buckbrie
    buckbrie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    night eating syndrome. I went to an eating disorders clinic & psychiatrist. basically just told me that I need to break my habits, be patient with myself, and use something else to cope/when im bored.
  • xxenchantxx14
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think you have a good strategy going forward now. For those reading your post with similar cravings, here's a couple ideas.
    • Analyse your feeling. Is it hunger, boredom, habit?
    • It is easier to divert a habit instead of trying to break it. So if it is boredom in the middle of the night, try drinking a full glass of water and read a little bit before going back to bed. So you address the boredom but divert the old habit.
    • A diet too close to the minimum can give you genuine hunger signals. Controlling your intake to increase your daily calories by 100-200 a day can satisfy that genuine need.
    Thank you
  • xxenchantxx14
    Options
    night eating syndrome. I went to an eating disorders clinic & psychiatrist. basically just told me that I need to break my habits, be patient with myself, and use something else to cope/when im bored.
    I don't really know what to do when il bored. I do drink water if I have a craving but it only helps a little.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what to do when il bored. I do drink water if I have a craving but it only helps a little.

Leave room in your calorie goal so that when you have a craving, you can have a serving of what it is you are craving. If you know this is something you can do every day, you can avoid bingeing, because you know there will always be more.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found certain foods set my cravings going. Trigger foods. Those foods I eliminated entirely to avoid temptation. I don't really feel deprived, and it is working
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I get cravings all the time but I ignore them. I just let my mind think about it then I move on
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If I didn't listen to my "cravings", I'd have no idea what to eat for dinner.