Anyone ever try Soylent?

Options

Replies

• moodyfam9
    moodyfam9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot to mention my original concern. My weight was secondary to my blood pressure. After a week I've gone from 141/90 to 120/83.
  • moodyfam9
    Options
    Update . . . using soylent only to replace breakfast or lunch when time is an issue. That is usually one or both daily. Down 25 pounds and blood pressure is regularly around 120/80 now. It's been about seven weeks now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    moodyfam9 wrote: »
    I started using soylent eight days ago and I'm down eight pounds. I generally use it to replace everything on weekdays. My plan is to enjoy weekend eating and not lose my mind. I found no issue with tempting food during the week. I even signed up for a gym membership that I plan to continue using in place of the time I used to spend purchasing and eating food during lunch. For the most part soylent just keeps me out of stress eating during the week. I admit I went overboard on the weekend but it was less than my weekends used to be.

No definite plan on how long I'll do it but my primary effort is to have it as a suppliment for times when I don't have time. I could keep me out of old patterns like, no breakfast, no lunch, then the dinners. Same daily intake total but at the worst possible time of day. No late evening heavy eating since starting soylent.

I suspect it is all in how you use the stuff. I cannot see a lifetime of it for complete replacement.

Anyone using it long term? I didn't read this entire thread but noticed two months?

How many total calories are you eating? Because if you are cutting two entire meals with protein shakes, there is a reason you are losing.. it's because you are on a ridiculously low calorie diet. And if that is true, say goodbye to a lot of muscle and a slower metabolism.
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    How many total calories are you eating? Because if you are cutting two entire meals with protein shakes, there is a reason you are losing.. it's because you are on a ridiculously low calorie diet. And if that is true, say goodbye to a lot of muscle and a slower metabolism.

Soylent isn't a protein shake
  • psuLemon
    Options
    KeepGood wrote: »

Soylent isn't a protein shake

Yea, I should have said meal replacement.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I started using soylent eight days ago and I'm down eight pounds. I generally use it to replace everything on weekdays. My plan is to enjoy weekend eating and not lose my mind. I found no issue with tempting food during the week. I even signed up for a gym membership that I plan to continue using in place of the time I used to spend purchasing and eating food during lunch. For the most part soylent just keeps me out of stress eating during the week. I admit I went overboard on the weekend but it was less than my weekends used to be.

No definite plan on how long I'll do it but my primary effort is to have it as a suppliment for times when I don't have time. I could keep me out of old patterns like, no breakfast, no lunch, then the dinners. Same daily intake total but at the worst possible time of day. No late evening heavy eating since starting soylent.

I suspect it is all in how you use the stuff. I cannot see a lifetime of it for complete replacement.

Anyone using it long term? I didn't read this entire thread but noticed two months?

It's actually designed to provide complete nutrition for people who can't eat food; I believe if you use it for all three meals, you can get around 2000 calories per day (I'm assuming there are different recommended serving sizes for different calorie levels). So in theory, you can take as much or as little to supplement your needs, but even if you replaced all of your food with it, it wouldn't necessarily put you in a calorie deficit.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

It's actually designed to provide complete nutrition for people who can't eat food; I believe if you use it for all three meals, you can get around 2000 calories per day (I'm assuming there are different recommended serving sizes for different calorie levels). So in theory, you can take as much or as little to supplement your needs, but even if you replaced all of your food with it, it wouldn't necessarily put you in a calorie deficit.

Well you learn something every day. Thanks.
  • Ana_rx
    Ana_rx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just orderered a 2 week supply to try it out and see if it can help me getting my everything levels normalized. I'm aiming at 1800 calories a day, if I follow my plan, I can also lose some weight with it. We'll see!
  • moodyfam9
    edited October 2015
    Options

No definite plan on how long I'll do it but my primary effort is to have it as a suppliment for times when I don't have

How many calories are you eating? Because if you are cutting two entire meals with protein shakes, there is a reason you are losing.. it's because you are on a ridiculously low calorie diet. And if that is true, say goodbye to a lot of muscle and a slower metabolism.

Total calories vary. Friday/Saturday are generally 2000-3000 since it's date night Friday and I take the kids out Saturdays.

Sundays usually around 1000-1300

Weekdays are usually 1200-1600

Workouts are generally 30-60 minutes m-f

The idea for me now with soylent is to use it when I sleep in so I don't overeat later in the day. Since I workout at lunch time I am using it to replace most lunches. I still bring fruit to eat and eat something small upon getting home.

Because I stated at 248 most of my weight left in the first few weeks. Currently I am losing 1-2 pounds a week.

Rather than malnutrition I believe the following factors are the reason for weight loss...

1 I am obese so reduction in calories had immediate impact. It was not unheard of to her depressed and eat an entire pizza for lunch. Even eating 2000/day would have resulted in some weight loss where I stated.

2 I work out consistently. This helps balance the days I go crazy and put away 4000 calories.

3 Soylent helps me keep regular eating routine and broke my cycle of skipping breakfast and lunch ending my day in a three meal sized dinner.

So, many days one or two traditional meals will be replaced using soylent. When on vacation almost zero meals were replaced. I am using it to replace so I don't break my historical fast and binge pattern.

• moodyfam9
    Options
    Not sure why my post looks like a quote. Sorry .

. . I don't know how to repair and I'm posting without glasses. Major contributing factor I'm sure.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    @moodyfam9 thanks for the response. Also, I fixed your quote.
  • moodyfam9
    Options
    Thanks. I work with a couple of fitness nuts and they warned me of the same concern when I told them about Soylent. Both also strongly suggested the workouts and staggering my calorie intake. The workout makes perfect sense. Staggering intake seems natural with weekends. I've read that some do it intentionally to try and fool metabolism. I'm not that organized in life so I'm just trying to get good habits down. I appreciated your feedback.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks. I work with a couple of fitness nuts and they warned me of the same concern when I told them about Soylent. Both also strongly suggested the workouts and staggering my calorie intake. The workout makes perfect sense. Staggering intake seems natural with weekends. I've read that some do it intentionally to try and fool metabolism. I'm not that organized in life so I'm just trying to get good habits down. I appreciated your feedback.

Well you cant fool your metabolism but it can allow you to achieve a weekly deficit. Calorie cycling is a good technique for those who like to eat bigger on the weekends.
  • moodyfam9
    Options
    Eat bigger on the weekends? Of course!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My roommate is currently using Soylent, though he's using it to lose weight. He really likes it. He says it makes his day a lot easier because instead of planning meals he knows he's just going to have Soylent and then some snacks.

He says the taste is good, I think he described it as slightly sweet milk. He mixes it with protein powder often to make shakes and he says it's amazing for that purpose.

I think if you were to drink enough of it per day and possibly add in some protein powder like he does it would be an easy way to gain weight.
  • moodyfam9
    Options
    Tastes GOOD? I don't mind the taste at all but I don't think I would go that far.

Losing weight is a total bonus. I told myself that the blood pressure was the big deal but I love that it is a contributing factor in my weight loss.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I just ordered a monthly subscription of bottles. Seems the wait now is a lot less than before. Seems like the perfect meal for me. Sucks on a social level whereas you do Soylent while friends and family are eating normal meals, especially times like Thanksgiving, Xmas, etc. Eat like everyone else in times like this.

My weight is generally fine. I just want to hit all my nutritional targets everyday. This makes things a LOT easier. I've used it before without any issues. I'm talking only Soylent for a day or two at a time and then other days as a supplement. Even not using at all on some days is fine. It's those time you do use it that makes it very beneficial. No problems at all.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Apologies for the delay, it's a bit hard to keep on track of the internet in the hospital! It's not a joke thread, :blush: The name is funny, though, I get the Wumpscut song stuck in my head every time I say it (not to mention the movie)
    wrote:
    Also, their website says there is a 4-5 month delay in shipment, so OP if you want to try it, you should order now and realize that it's going to be a while. Between now and when it arrives, maybe try to find a different nutritionist who is more understanding of your lifestyle but still understands your medical problems?

Good to know! I'll speak to the doc ASAP about it so I can order it already, I am very worried about my weight loss (it's a bad side effect) and it's always bad when you're losing and can't really eat because it's the one time in life when it pays to have some extra padding.

It's hard to find good nutritionists, unfortunately. :( The hospital one I thought was going to be great because she advises the patients at the cancer center, but apparently cancer patients can't be vegan according to her, though my hematologists says he has a bunch of patients who keep to a very high carb and high protein diet on chemo and they're all fine, even equivalent to their omnivore patients (though we do need extra B12 shots and vitamin D)
    wrote:
    As for vitamin K and coumadin, anytime you change your diet you should get your PT/INR checked. Ideally you should be getting it check monthly, more if something changes

If it's pasty, like milkshake-y like, then all better :smile: I hated Ensure because it tasted like ashy milk (I know it's a colorful description, but you get what I mean)
    Since I started on steroids, I check my PT/INR every four to five days, it's a PITA, but it's a necessary evil. It's been pretty stable considering. I do miss kale and spinach, and I only allow myself leafy greens twice a week per doc's orders. I compensate on lots of beans, though.

-

Issue with having to cut white carbs (because steroids predispose you to developing diabetes 1 -- also the sec Addison's, too) and leafy greens when you're vegan and not absorbing stuff well it's that it becomes so hard to get enough calories that you feel like just giving up, but I don't think I'd be able to ever eat meat again, and not just because of the ethical reasons, but it also used to make me very sick to my stomach because of the amount of time it demanded of me, digestion wise. I sometimes have that issue with beans (esp lentils) but it's way, way less. I was thinking of allowing myself salmon occasionally if I absolutely can't. One other thing I was thinking of adding and I don't eat lots is mushrooms, they have tons of vitamin D, and I like them lots.
    wrote:
    You do mean that you'd be adding it to your regular diet and not using it as a meal replacement, right?

Oh yes! As tempting as it would be to not have to feel pain during digestion, I love food WAY too much to not eat, and it'd defeat the purpose of getting enough calories to gain weight. I need at least about 30lbs of healthy weight put on, well, 20 for my doc to let me off the hook and extra 10 for extra protection (and I also want to look somewhat good again)
    wrote:
    I sympathize with the nausea and food intolerances/prohibitions. From my personal experience, might I suggest you get the smallest pack available, just in case Soylent does not agree with you either? You might also try different methods of eating/drinking like through a straw, tiny portions, that sort of thing.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that stuff, too. it can make it really hard to focus on other stuff.
    You have a really good suggestion and I will definitely take it, thank you. I never tried through a straw but for a while now I've been eating my food in little sides of everything, it's time consuming but gets the job done. :)

-

Thanks everyone so far for the kind replies!
    PS: I'm stupid and don't know how to quote users :S

... I imagine Soylent is packed with white carbs. If you need to cut them, then is it a good option? You should look into it. I didn't, I'm just guessing.
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Apologies for the delay, it's a bit hard to keep on track of the internet in the hospital! It's not a joke thread, :blush: The name is funny, though, I get the Wumpscut song stuck in my head every time I say it (not to mention the movie)
    wrote:
    Also, their website says there is a 4-5 month delay in shipment, so OP if you want to try it, you should order now and realize that it's going to be a while. Between now and when it arrives, maybe try to find a different nutritionist who is more understanding of your lifestyle but still understands your medical problems?

Good to know! I'll speak to the doc ASAP about it so I can order it already, I am very worried about my weight loss (it's a bad side effect) and it's always bad when you're losing and can't really eat because it's the one time in life when it pays to have some extra padding.

It's hard to find good nutritionists, unfortunately. :( The hospital one I thought was going to be great because she advises the patients at the cancer center, but apparently cancer patients can't be vegan according to her, though my hematologists says he has a bunch of patients who keep to a very high carb and high protein diet on chemo and they're all fine, even equivalent to their omnivore patients (though we do need extra B12 shots and vitamin D)
    wrote:
    As for vitamin K and coumadin, anytime you change your diet you should get your PT/INR checked. Ideally you should be getting it check monthly, more if something changes

If it's pasty, like milkshake-y like, then all better :smile: I hated Ensure because it tasted like ashy milk (I know it's a colorful description, but you get what I mean)
    Since I started on steroids, I check my PT/INR every four to five days, it's a PITA, but it's a necessary evil. It's been pretty stable considering. I do miss kale and spinach, and I only allow myself leafy greens twice a week per doc's orders. I compensate on lots of beans, though.

-

Issue with having to cut white carbs (because steroids predispose you to developing diabetes 1 -- also the sec Addison's, too) and leafy greens when you're vegan and not absorbing stuff well it's that it becomes so hard to get enough calories that you feel like just giving up, but I don't think I'd be able to ever eat meat again, and not just because of the ethical reasons, but it also used to make me very sick to my stomach because of the amount of time it demanded of me, digestion wise. I sometimes have that issue with beans (esp lentils) but it's way, way less. I was thinking of allowing myself salmon occasionally if I absolutely can't. One other thing I was thinking of adding and I don't eat lots is mushrooms, they have tons of vitamin D, and I like them lots.
    wrote:
    You do mean that you'd be adding it to your regular diet and not using it as a meal replacement, right?

Oh yes! As tempting as it would be to not have to feel pain during digestion, I love food WAY too much to not eat, and it'd defeat the purpose of getting enough calories to gain weight. I need at least about 30lbs of healthy weight put on, well, 20 for my doc to let me off the hook and extra 10 for extra protection (and I also want to look somewhat good again)
    wrote:
    I sympathize with the nausea and food intolerances/prohibitions. From my personal experience, might I suggest you get the smallest pack available, just in case Soylent does not agree with you either? You might also try different methods of eating/drinking like through a straw, tiny portions, that sort of thing.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that stuff, too. it can make it really hard to focus on other stuff.
    You have a really good suggestion and I will definitely take it, thank you. I never tried through a straw but for a while now I've been eating my food in little sides of everything, it's time consuming but gets the job done. :)

-

... I imagine Soylent is packed with white carbs. If you need to cut them, then is it a good option? You should look into it. I didn't, I'm just guessing.

As an FYI, that part of the thread is almost a year old. Not that it matters.. but more of an FYI.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    wrote:

wrote:

-

wrote:

wrote:

-

As an FYI, that part of the thread is almost a year old. Not that it matters.. but more of an FYI.

This always gets me.