So you CAN eat McDonald's every day...

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I wish their fries were gluten free. I miss them.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_nu6nngVoSU1s7p9yt_500.gif

This is back and cleaned up. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reopening @kgeyser. I do think this type of information is important for those who feel like they can't or won't give up fast foods or convenience foods in order to lose weight. It's important to see that you can live a convience food lifestyle and still make choices that will lead to better health.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Thank you also for using a David Tennant gif to reopen the thread!

I'd also like to say that I appreciate the time it must have taken to get this cleaned, but am glad it was spent because I do feel this is a valuable discussion to leave standing.

Thank you again.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    GOD this must've taken forever to edit for the mods!! Well done :smiley:
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Welp, now I'll never know what poison exists in McDonald's.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

None. The answer is none. Or all of it. Or both. All I know is McDonald's is bangin'.
  • senecarr
    Options

None. The answer is none. Or all of it. Or both. All I know is McDonald's is bangin'.

I did feel important lessons about trans fat got lost.
    People use trans fat all the time when they really want to talk about partially hydrogenated oil, I think. All partially hydrogenated oil has trans fat but there are other kinds of trans fat.
    Partially hydrogenated oil seems to raise LDL cholesterol and lower HDL, which is bad, and has lead the FDA to designate it no longer Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS), and eventually it must be eliminated - trans fat of other kinds will continue to be allowed.
    McDonald's has already been reducing their partially hydrogenated oil, and based on this teacher's bloodwork improvements, the remaining amount isn't enough to influence cholesterol levels more than losing weight does.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    This seems reasonable. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I eat mcdonald's maybe 3 times a year when I'm too lazy to cook and I STILL gained weight cooking at home. It's all about CICO. And if this isn't proof of that, nothing will convince anyone of it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Strange that this wasn't showing a 'new' flag, must be a clean up glitch.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Might they use baking soda in something?
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I posted a bit earlier on the thread about wanting to undertake McVember. I may not get to do it as I have to travel for work to a country which does not have McDonalds, but I have been experimenting, for my own amusement.

At this early stage, it looks like the only way I could survive on McDonalds only for a month while sticking to my macros the way I normally do was if I allowed myself 2 meals at McDonalds and one meal at home per day and that meal needs to consist entirely of fruit and veg. The main reasons for this are that I am struggling to get anywhere near my preferred fiber intake and on 1200 calories and without a fruit and veg meal I am pretty darn hungry, even though I do get a delicious breakfast and dinner in quite easily.

Eating at 1200, I do not find sodium and sugar difficult to manage, eating 2 meals at McDonalds a day. Feel free to have a look at my diary for yesterday as an example of this. I have also run a few examples for myself in Excel and sugar and sodium are the least of my problems, if I combine my meals intelligently. People in America please not that the South African McDonalds calories and ingredients are slightly different so I have had to create my own entries based on the information on the South African site (not a massive difference).

Once again - this is me just messing about - not any kind of serious thing - before anyone jumps down my throat to tell me how I am doing it wrong or how my results cannot be applied to others. That is completely obvious, but thanks anyway.

I am struggling to keep my mojo going for the last bit of weight I have to lose and an unintended consequence of my junk food experiments this past week or two is the best weight loss I have seen in a while! Obviously this is only happening because I am being more careful about my deficit again, but I will take it! Lols

No one need fear for my health - if you glance at my Macros no terrible evils are being committed on my constitution. Also - no need to lecture me on 1200 calories please - I am often over that amount and I don't do any exercise so it is perfectly reasonable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Those of you who feel that the film is an infomercial that should not be shown in schools can sign a petition.

...The film is pitched to schools as "educational" - it even comes with a "Teachers Discussion Guide" prepared by McDonald's - but in reality it's little more than a heavily-branded infomercial for the fast food chain, one that seems cynically calculated to get kids to eat even more fast food than they do now. In this era of childhood obesity, that’s a terrible idea.

It’s fine to teach kids about calorie balancing, but this naked advertising effort expressly tells impressionable kids that “there’s nothing wrong with fast food” and that they shouldn’t believe any negative information on the Internet about fast food or McDonald’s. It also makes no mention of the poor nutritional quality of most fast food.

Teens and pre-teens are notoriously impulsive. So when a trusted authority like a science teacher says he ate fries on a near-daily basis for six months, as well as regularly eating Big Macs, Quarter Pounders and ice cream - and that he still eats at McDonald’s every day – do we think teens are suddenly going to become highly disciplined calorie-cutters? Or do we think they’ll get the message that it’s OK to eat even more fast food?

If McDonald's wants to post 540 Meals on YouTube or show it in movie theaters, that's the company's right. But it's our right as parents to keep this kind of aggressive fast food advertising out of our kids’ schools.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Those of you who feel that the film is an infomercial that should not be shown in schools can sign a petition here:

https://www.change.org/p/keep-mcdonald-s-nutrition-infomercial-out-of-our-children-s-schools

...The film is pitched to schools as "educational" - it even comes with a "Teachers Discussion Guide" prepared by McDonald's - but in reality it's little more than a heavily-branded infomercial for the fast food chain, one that seems cynically calculated to get kids to eat even more fast food than they do now. In this era of childhood obesity, that’s a terrible idea.

It’s fine to teach kids about calorie balancing, but this naked advertising effort expressly tells impressionable kids that “there’s nothing wrong with fast food” and that they shouldn’t believe any negative information on the Internet about fast food or McDonald’s. It also makes no mention of the poor nutritional quality of most fast food.

Teens and pre-teens are notoriously impulsive. So when a trusted authority like a science teacher says he ate fries on a near-daily basis for six months, as well as regularly eating Big Macs, Quarter Pounders and ice cream - and that he still eats at McDonald’s every day – do we think teens are suddenly going to become highly disciplined calorie-cutters? Or do we think they’ll get the message that it’s OK to eat even more fast food?

If McDonald's wants to post 540 Meals on YouTube or show it in movie theaters, that's the company's right. But it's our right as parents to keep this kind of aggressive fast food advertising out of our kids’ schools.

Does this keep other documnetaries (propaganda) such as Fedup, etc out of schools? If we have to gore someone's specific ox, we should probably get them all....am I right?
  • senecarr
    Options
    I can't wait for this to become the sequel to Inherit The Wind.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Goes to show calories a calorie.....and yes, being physically active does help a LOT....I didn't start seeing the scale move until I started being more active, and weighing my food that I eat.....
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    The true evil in McDonalds is that they don't serve breakfast all day.

Waaaait a minute......

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-09-08%2Bat%2B9.43.08%2BAM.png

I live in san diego and we are the city they tried all day breakfast on before they went nation wide... we have had it for like 6 months now! its been amazing. ALL THE HASHBROWNS!!
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Love this. Whether you like McDonald's or not, the whole McDonald's made me fat thing is absurd. It's a silly excuse and I'm glad someone is taking the piss out of it.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    SCP0914 wrote: »
    Love this. Whether you like McDonald's or not, the whole McDonald's made me fat thing is absurd. It's a silly excuse and I'm glad someone is taking the piss out of it.

Yup, when people ask me how I am losing weight and still eating fast food I tell them..."The fast food doesn't make me fat. It's the half box of cereal in the morning, the Big Mac meal with Coke in the afternoon, the 3 granola bars, the huge order of Mexican food after I get off work, oh, and the ice cream for dessert that did it. I eat fast food only when it works with what I ate during the day." We need more "documentaries" like this, there are always two sides to the story!