Fiber - Flax / Chia

Options
Does anyone use ground flax seed for extra fiber? I really need to up my fiber intake so was thinking about adding chia seeds or ground flax seeds to my afternoon yogurt. I've read you should buy it whole (flax) and grind it yourself, but is there a specific reason I wouldn't just buy it already ground? How do you grind it if doing it yourself?

Is there a reason to choose chia seeds over flax or vice versa?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Before getting too excited about fiber, read the book fiber menace.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I add flax seed to many dishes to up the fiber and for the good fats. I buy it already ground. I've seen a couple of posts on here from people saying you should grind it yourself but when I ask why they never respond. IDK if the post above about ground flax shelf life is true or not but mine never lasts that long. I do keep it in the fridge to keep the oil from going bad.

I tried chia but it seemed to add a bitter taste to everything so I don't use it. I can't taste flax when it's added.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have flax oil in my fridge which won't help your fiber intake. I use it in my pancakes for the extra Omega-3. I keep chia seeds on hand and I soak overnight in yogurt with my oats.

I don't think this is an either/or, superior kind of thing. Try both. Enjoy.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I use flax and chia almost daily in my morning smoothie. I buy both products from Costco and I don't find them expensive. Buy them at a place like Whole Foods and yes, it's pricey. The flax actually says on the package to store it in the fridge. I like the added taste of both. I even like Chia seeds on salads. Just helps to have a toothpick nearby.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You've all been really helpful! Thanks :smiley:
  • TriciaSmith2015
    TriciaSmith2015 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I grind my own seeds and throw them into Nutri-Bullett smoothies. It definitely adds some texture and I feel much more satisfied.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Be slow when adding the flax! I added the full serving right out of the gate and stopped myself up solid. It is fine to buy ground if you keep it in the fridge and use it fairly quick. I would look up more details though as far as how long it lasts past opening. But I always grind my own because I dont use it too often, and i buy the whole seeds from bulk bins so I can buy small amounts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
  • SnackySnackPants
    SnackySnackPants Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Is there a benefit to having ground flaxseed compared to whole? I buy the golden roasted whole seeds from Trader Joe and throw them in my yogurt whole. I like the taste and texture.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Is there a benefit to having ground flaxseed compared to whole? I buy the golden roasted whole seeds from Trader Joe and throw them in my yogurt whole. I like the taste and texture.

I think the whole flaxseeds get passed through largely undigested @SnackySnackPants

• RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    What little reading I've done says that flax should be ground because we can't digest all the good stuff if the "shell" is still on the seed.

I'm hoping this is going to help with constipation (sorry if that's TMI). I've noticed that in order to stay within my calorie goal, I've pretty much cut out major sources of fiber, like fruit. I still have lots of vegetables, but I don't think I get enough fiber from them. I'm upping my water intake as well.

Do you all think the flax will help, or will it make it worse?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    What little reading I've done says that flax should be ground because we can't digest all the good stuff if the "shell" is still on the seed.

I'm hoping this is going to help with constipation (sorry if that's TMI). I've noticed that in order to stay within my calorie goal, I've pretty much cut out major sources of fiber, like fruit. I still have lots of vegetables, but I don't think I get enough fiber from them. I'm upping my water intake as well.

Have you tried just adding a fiber supplement. I use optifiber in my hot tea every morning for instance. I've had a problem with constipation issues but I do consume a lot of fiber just by default in my food choices and I think it helps me feel fuller. Before Optifiber I was using Fitness Fiber by ON but they discontinued it.
  • SnackySnackPants
    SnackySnackPants Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well darn. Maybe if I just chew it really well, lol.

To the grinder it will be next time.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    The only reason I take flaxseed is to up my fibre content, I need 30+ grams fibre everyday. Just make sure and drink plenty of water along with it, or it could have the opposite affect. Also upping your fat will help too.

So yes, it will help with constipation.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just checked my fiber intake over the last 22 days. I'm averaging 16 grams a day; with some whole weeks around 10-13 a day while earlier in October I was more around 20-22 a day. I'm working on increasing my water intake by a good margin. Going to try to make sure I consume about 10 glasses a day. Hopefully between the flax and the extra water, things will get back on track :blush:
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds, and I use flax seeds to get omega-3's. I throw about a tablespoon of each into my oatmeal or smoothies.
  • lanie89052
    lanie89052 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Flaxseeds have to be ground or you get no benefit from them. Chia can be eaten whole. I love TJ's Golden Flaxseed.I ground enough for a week. They smell so good when they are freshly ground. Already ground ones have no smell. I also buy my Chia from TJ's or Costco. They do not have to be kept in the fridge.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    Hmmm... it might be a good plan to eat some steel cut oatmeal for breakfast daily and include the ground flax. You guys are a great source of info! Someone in the recipe section had a great slow cooker/overnight oatmeal recipe I wanted to try. Perfect time to do it!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Your calorie goal must be pretty low if you can't fit any fruit or enough fiber. I'm usually in the 1200 range and manage to get both into my diet. What's your diary look like? IF your calorie goal is slow low, watch the count on chia seeds. They're 60 calories a tablespoon. An apple's about 80 calories and will fill you up more. That being said, I do use them occasionally myself because of the extra fiber and protein, but only a tablespoon in oatmeal or yogurt because they are fairly high in calories.