breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Super easy. Cook 4 slices of chopped center cut bacon until crispy, remove and keep the bacon fat. Add your veggies and cook until soft. A lot of veggies - I add around 8-10oz of veggies depending on what mixture I want. Remove from heat. Beat 4 eggs, 4 egg whites (3/4 cup liquid egg whites), 1/4 cup skim milk and salt and pepper. Add all of your veggies, egg mixture, and bacon to a parchment lined cake pan, add raw tomatoes and/or scallion and bake at 400 for about 20 mins (sometimes a little over) until set.

Pics above are
    #1: bacon, mushroom, kale, scallion, tomato
    #2: bacon, cabbage, scallion
    #3: bacon, spinach, tomato

Good idea thanks

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, so I do as much ahead of time as I can. Saturday I prepped Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal.

1 - 15 oz can of Pumpkin Puree
    1/4 C. sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix together in a bowl & divide into 8 containers & freeze (a little over 3 Tbl. each). Zip-Lock makes 1/2 C. containers.....easy.

In the a.m. I add 1 thawed container of the pumpkin mixture to oats & water and cook 1 or 2 minutes (for regular instant oats). After cooking oatmeal, stir in 2 Tablespoons of Sugar-Free Coffee Mate Pumpkin Spice creamer. I used the liquid, but a powder would work too.

Notes: I like 5 minute instant steel cut oats. So I prep this ahead also, at night I add boiling water to oats and cover. In the a.m. these are "almost" done to my taste, 1 or 2 minutes more cooking is plenty. You can use 1 or 2 tablespoons less water if you like, because the texture will be a little soupy.
  • isloogirl
    isloogirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you're in a hurry: take : a slice of multigrain or whole wheat bread that has 1 tsp of almond or nut butter spread on it; add diced banana on top of it with a sprinkle of cinnamon. On the side: have some fruit: 1 kiwi; handful of blueberries. A cup of coffee with milk. All in 300calories.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    English muffing sandwichwith egg, smashed avocado pepperjack cheese and salsa
  • maggierenee88
    maggierenee88 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    you guys are just teasing me with all this delicious looking food haha
  • lookingtobesmall
    lookingtobesmall Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Whoops - forgot to add my breakfast ideas for you Georgegeri83! I like to prepare mason jars of breakfast and keep them in the fridge for grab and go. I vary the quantities depending on who I am feeding because my boys eat them too.
    Yogurt Jars
    Layer the ingredients:
    Greek yogurt (I use vanilla)
    Cinnamon/Chia Seeds
    Blueberries
    Chopped strawberries
    Granola
    (My boys like bananas added so they do it right before so they do not go brown.
    If you have the right sized jars you can eat it right out of the jar.

Oatmeal Jar
    Layer Steel-Cut Oatmeal (or Quinoa!)
    (Mix in some maple syrup once cooked and divide between jars)
    Add the same Cinnamon/Chia/Berries as above on top and place in the fridge for grab and go.
    I add milk just before eating and eat cold because I don't mind it. You can remove the lid and reheat in the jar in the microwave.

I entered the recipes with the quantities I find filling and it is roughly 225-250 a jar.
    You can enter your own quantities on the 'My Recipes' if you like the idea to get the calorie count per jar. Hope this helps!

So you cook the steel cut oatmeal first right not add it to jar someone said they.add it to the jar not cooked
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Queenmunchy you are briliant! This is exactly what ive been looking for but havent found any recipe i like. Yours is perfect!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Queenmunchy you are briliant! This is exactly what ive been looking for but havent found any recipe i like. Yours is perfect!

Aww, thanks! Last night I made one with Apple chicken sausage, spinach, and scallion. Bacon definitely for the win.
    edu903k92etn.jpg
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Queenmunchy, those quiches look amazing, can't wait to try it!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Aww, thanks! Last night I made one with Apple chicken sausage, spinach, and scallion. Bacon definitely for the win.
    edu903k92etn.jpg

wow! they do look amazing. Im going to make one for dinner tonight. Im so excited now! :*
  • SparkyTinman
    SparkyTinman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    NJCJF wrote: »
    English muffing sandwichwith egg, smashed avocado pepperjack cheese and salsa
    Whoops - forgot to add my breakfast ideas for you Georgegeri83! I like to prepare mason jars of breakfast and keep them in the fridge for grab and go. I vary the quantities depending on who I am feeding because my boys eat them too.
    Yogurt Jars
    Layer the ingredients:
    Greek yogurt (I use vanilla)
    Cinnamon/Chia Seeds
    Blueberries
    Chopped strawberries
    Granola
    (My boys like bananas added so they do it right before so they do not go brown.
    If you have the right sized jars you can eat it right out of the jar.

Oatmeal Jar
    Layer Steel-Cut Oatmeal (or Quinoa!)
    (Mix in some maple syrup once cooked and divide between jars)
    Add the same Cinnamon/Chia/Berries as above on top and place in the fridge for grab and go.
    I add milk just before eating and eat cold because I don't mind it. You can remove the lid and reheat in the jar in the microwave.

I entered the recipes with the quantities I find filling and it is roughly 225-250 a jar.
    You can enter your own quantities on the 'My Recipes' if you like the idea to get the calorie count per jar. Hope this helps!

So you cook the steel cut oatmeal first right not add it to jar someone said they.add it to the jar not cooked

Sorry - yes add cooked oats to the jar.
  • starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,725 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm going to save these and make something when I get home! Thanks for all the great recipes!!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

edu903k92etn.jpg

That one looks delicious too. :)

• georgesgeri83
    georgesgeri83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    SparkyTinman...is there a reason you use Steel cut oats and not quick oats? I tried Steel cut not too long ago and didn't care too much for it? Just wondering if there are more health benefits?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i just have egg and cheese. sometimes toast. right now I am on pumpkin spice english muffins for breakfast and eggs for lunch
  • georgesgeri83
    georgesgeri83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all these yummy recipes. Going shopping this weekend!
  • SparkyTinman
    SparkyTinman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    SparkyTinman...is there a reason you use Steel cut oats and not quick oats? I tried Steel cut not too long ago and didn't care too much for it? Just wondering if there are more health benefits?

Not much difference - Steel cut is slightly lower on thr glycemic index but really, as long as you are using good quality quick oats with no added sugar, they are good for you. If you prefer the taste of those and you will eat them, then that is the way to go. The difference between them is minimal
  • stefankruithof
    stefankruithof Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    6k11ht3tt1kx.jpg

This morning's breakfast.

660 kcal
    53g protein
    12g fibre

The protein mostly comes from the quark, a wonderful dairy product that offers a lot of high quality protein. This 500g of quark contains 45g of protein at only 250 kcal!

The quark is mixed with brown rice, which is an excellent source of fibre. There's also quinoa seeds and a fortified syrup mixed in. The syrup contains 10mg of iron.

As you can see I also like to eat fruit with my breakfast. There's an apple and an orange in the left bowl :)