Scale Down and Contrave

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    JBScroggs wrote: »
    So I know I'm new to this board, but it seems to me that those of you who are judging others are the real problem. Support is what we need not people who think they know better, for one until you walk a mile in my shoes you can't judge me.

When I was in college I was very active I would wake up every morning at 4 go for a run, ( 2-3 miles) then I'd go to class when I'd get home I'd go for another run, then go to work at 4pm, when I got home from work I'd go for another run around 10:30-11 pm each run was 2-3 miles. Now here's the kicker I had challenged myself to be a vegetarian for one year, so I was eating extremely healthy. ( I cut out red meat, chicken and pork) I would eat eggs an fish. I was so proud of myself I had gotten down to a good weight.( lost 30 lbs in 3 months) within one month I put back on those 30lbs and felt horrible, was still eating healthy and working out but I was worn out. Could not figure out what was wrong. Went to the dr for my yearly and found out I had a thyroid problem. That explains why I felt so bad and the weight gain. For the last 5 years I have been fighting this weight. I would lose 10lbs then gain 15, it was very discouraging. I would eat healthy, count calories work out everyday and nothing would change. Well thankfully I had a great support system my fiancé who is now my husband didn't care how much I weighed but he saw that it was an issue for me. When I went back to my Dr. In November ( 2014) I told him I was tired of feeling like a failure when it came to my weight loss. I also had a huge goal, I wanted to lose weight for my wedding that was coming up in June. He told me about contrave and that it would only work if I ate right an worked out. At this point I just wanted to lose 10lbs an keep it off. Well let's fast forward to June of this year. I hit my official weight loss of 25lbs. I feel wonderful about myself and the choices I've made. And to be honest I know that I couldn't have lost the weight without contrave. So for those of you who are just starting keep up the work, even if you don't see the results for yourself know that you will gain more self esteem by learning how to lose weight. And for those of you that don't believe a pill can help, do your research on this. With contrave it has side effects if you eat to much fat such as fried foods( it says it may cause seizures) it also warns you about not working out, that with out physical activity the weight will not drop off. And I don't know about you but if I'm spending 60-75 a month in a pull and it's not working I'm gonna try harder to do what is required of me for it to work.

For those of you who are getting sick after taking it, dizziness ect. Try eating a little something first then take the pill. I had the same problem and eating a piece of fruit or toast helped. Also, I forgot my contrave while on my honeymoon where I did not eat right but was still going for walks an swimming I gained 3 lbs and once I got home an back to my normal routine the 3lbs were gone in 3 days. I guess what I'm saying is the pill has made a huge impact on me, and I'm thankful that my husband and family have supported me. I also believe that when the time comes for me to not take the pill I will be able to maintain my weight. Oh yea the my fitness pal has been a great help to, having to log everything helps you see what works an what doesn't. Best of luck to everyone!

You don't see the issue here? The 'pill' that makes you lose weight only works if you eat at a deficit and exercise? You'd lose the weight anyway. It's not the pill that's making you lose weight.
  • MacksFisher
    MacksFisher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to start anything with anyone, this is simply what it has done for me. Before I started taking the pill I was hungry, literally, all the time. I ate well and I was active, but the volume of food was the problem. About 2 weeks into taking it the pill started to work. I am considerably less hungry. In the morning I have a fruit smoothie and 2 egg whites, eat some fruit and vegetables during the day (some cherry tomatoes, 2 other pieces of fruit) and then dinner. No sugar, no salt, no white pasta, no white rice, lots of fresh vegetables. The first week I lost 8 pounds.
    Maybe I'm weak. Maybe it is a crutch. But it is what I needed. I am eating maybe a quarter of what I was eating before.
    As to the side effects, I find myself sweating more. Which I am more than fine with
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I'm not looking to start anything with anyone, this is simply what it has done for me. Before I started taking the pill I was hungry, literally, all the time. I ate well and I was active, but the volume of food was the problem. About 2 weeks into taking it the pill started to work. I am considerably less hungry. In the morning I have a fruit smoothie and 2 egg whites, eat some fruit and vegetables during the day (some cherry tomatoes, 2 other pieces of fruit) and then dinner. No sugar, no salt, no white pasta, no white rice, lots of fresh vegetables. The first week I lost 8 pounds.
    Maybe I'm weak. Maybe it is a crutch. But it is what I needed. I am eating maybe a quarter of what I was eating before.
    As to the side effects, I find myself sweating more. Which I am more than fine with

Satiety has to do with the type of food you eat. You can eat at a calorie deficit, while eating proteins and fats to feel full and avoid that hunger feeling without taking a pill to stop it. It's just not a very safe thing to do.
  • KrisDS
    KrisDS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started using Contrave a few weeks ago and although I haven't seen a whole lot of difference yet I do feel better mood wise. All this discussion about using a pill as a crutch may be true, but if you really look at what this pill is for it Isn't a crutch. One part anti-depressant and the other part is used for addiction. The same part used in drugs for heroine addicts. For me food is an addiction. I will come out of a fog with food in my hand. Not remembering when I even went and got it. As soon as I realize it I throw it away, but the damage is done. I found that if I eat anything more than 800 calories with excersising everyday I will not lose weight at all but even gain eating anything over 1000 calories. I've been to dietitians, trainers and therapists hoping to break the addiction. And if this pill can help at all I'm taking it. I'm sure the comments will start about food not being an addiction, but I can only speak for myself and unless you have been there done that you might not understand it. But for those who battle with any addiction great job at trying to better yourselves, and try not to take comments to heart. I'm sure they are only "trying" to help.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Caloric deficit.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    So I know I'm new to this board, but it seems to me that those of you who are judging others are the real problem. Support is what we need not people who think they know better, for one until you walk a mile in my shoes you can't judge me.

When I was in college I was very active I would wake up every morning at 4 go for a run, ( 2-3 miles) then I'd go to class when I'd get home I'd go for another run, then go to work at 4pm, when I got home from work I'd go for another run around 10:30-11 pm each run was 2-3 miles. Now here's the kicker I had challenged myself to be a vegetarian for one year, so I was eating extremely healthy. ( I cut out red meat, chicken and pork) I would eat eggs an fish. I was so proud of myself I had gotten down to a good weight.( lost 30 lbs in 3 months) within one month I put back on those 30lbs and felt horrible, was still eating healthy and working out but I was worn out. Could not figure out what was wrong. Went to the dr for my yearly and found out I had a thyroid problem. That explains why I felt so bad and the weight gain. For the last 5 years I have been fighting this weight. I would lose 10lbs then gain 15, it was very discouraging. I would eat healthy, count calories work out everyday and nothing would change. Well thankfully I had a great support system my fiancé who is now my husband didn't care how much I weighed but he saw that it was an issue for me. When I went back to my Dr. In November ( 2014) I told him I was tired of feeling like a failure when it came to my weight loss. I also had a huge goal, I wanted to lose weight for my wedding that was coming up in June. He told me about contrave and that it would only work if I ate right an worked out. At this point I just wanted to lose 10lbs an keep it off. Well let's fast forward to June of this year. I hit my official weight loss of 25lbs. I feel wonderful about myself and the choices I've made. And to be honest I know that I couldn't have lost the weight without contrave. So for those of you who are just starting keep up the work, even if you don't see the results for yourself know that you will gain more self esteem by learning how to lose weight. And for those of you that don't believe a pill can help, do your research on this. With contrave it has side effects if you eat to much fat such as fried foods( it says it may cause seizures) it also warns you about not working out, that with out physical activity the weight will not drop off. And I don't know about you but if I'm spending 60-75 a month in a pull and it's not working I'm gonna try harder to do what is required of me for it to work.

For those of you who are getting sick after taking it, dizziness ect. Try eating a little something first then take the pill. I had the same problem and eating a piece of fruit or toast helped. Also, I forgot my contrave while on my honeymoon where I did not eat right but was still going for walks an swimming I gained 3 lbs and once I got home an back to my normal routine the 3lbs were gone in 3 days. I guess what I'm saying is the pill has made a huge impact on me, and I'm thankful that my husband and family have supported me. I also believe that when the time comes for me to not take the pill I will be able to maintain my weight. Oh yea the my fitness pal has been a great help to, having to log everything helps you see what works an what doesn't. Best of luck to everyone!

You don't see the issue here? The 'pill' that makes you lose weight only works if you eat at a deficit and exercise? You'd lose the weight anyway. It's not the pill that's making you lose weight.

You've decided a priori that no pill can help lose weight. That's theology, not science. I have no dog in the fight; I've never taken a pill and have no interest in doing so. And I know nothing about the specifics of Contrave. But there is no reason to rule out the possibility that there is a drug that 1) curbs appetite: and 2) in doing so, helps the user learn that they can function well on less food than they have been; so that 3) they will be healthier long term than if they had replied on behavior modification alone.
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    IT's kind of interesting reading this. I was looking up vitamin supplements for appetite suppression about a week ago. I did find some . . . both single vitamins and vitamin mixes sold in a package for weight loss. I read some of the reviews, and they were like - I lost 10 pounds in a month! Or 8 pounds. or 2 pounds in two weeks. I went . . . Seriously . . . I've lost 9 pounds in 23 days. Down 19 since June and these guys are happy with basically NO weight loss. Nah . . I think I'll save my money. Seems I can do better with low cal by itself. This doesn't sound any better. 30 pounds in 6 months..... I'd be livid not happy.
  • kurbangrl
    kurbangrl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    akalynnm wrote: »
    akalynnm wrote: »
    Oh, this makes me sad. Pills don't make you lose weight. Eating at a calorie deficit makes you lose weight. Are you going to take pills for the rest of your life? What happens when you stop taking the pills and you haven't learned to control the eating that made you overweight in the first place?

I agree that pills don't make you lose weight, but they can "help" provide the resolve and the fortitude to stay on task to achieve a goal. This pill is not burning the calories for me, I wish it were that easy. I understand your statement about calorie deficit and losing weight but it is so much more than that. It is about leading an active lifestyle and staying fit. Some of us have not done so well at that - myself due to injury - and we are trying to get back on track. Being able to feel full quicker and to mentally win the battle has provided me the initiative and energy to try to become fit again. I have friends who fail 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They eat like crap with calorie intakes twice what I ever dreamed of. They are not active unless you consider swinging a club and then climbing back into the golf cart and grabbing another beer active....and they are skinny as a rail and could easily blow away in a strong wind. Unfortunately many of us have not been blessed with the same metabolism and body make-up. Do not be "sad", just support that we are trying to make the life-style changes and need a little help to get us over the hurdles. Those who critique and judge are a huge contributor to the problem and will only turn many away from making any attempt at all.

No, no, no. Being 'active' and exercising is for fitness, and fitness alone. It can create a larger calorie deficit, but really, that is not how to lose weight. Anyone who is disabled and unable to exercise at all is entirely able to lose weight without the aid of pills. If you feel a pill gives you resolve and fortitude, take a low-dose Bayer aspirin every day.
    Getting back on track with weight loss involves one thing and one thing only - eating in a calorie deficit. It has nothing to do with being 'blessed' with any kind of metabolism or body makeup, so stop using that as a crutch. Buy a food scale, calculate your calorie deficit, weigh all of your solid foods. Learning to eat the foods you like in moderation is the key to long-term success, not taking pills.

If I could figure out how to roll me eyes on here I would. Did I mention that those who judge and critique are a big part of the problem.....

That is not a judgement or a critique. It is stating a fact. No blessings or magic pills needed. Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. When I was on crutches for 9 weeks due to knee surgery, I was unable to exercise. I ate at a deficit and lost weight just fine. Exercise will help cardiovascular health and allow more calories to eat. Lifting weights will help with body composition. These are facts.

• kurbangrl
    kurbangrl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with calorie deficit and exercise, but sometimes the physiological makeup of every individual DOES play a role! Environment, genetics, and how one deals with stress has an effect on body chemistry! Medication got me started... I continued my diet and exercise, seeing great results, ready to wean off meds! Now walking is my joy, de-stressor, and appetite suppressant, but I don't know if I would have seen the results so quickly without the help of pill! I know I said quickly, but who wants to wait to feel this good about yourself! Once over that hurdle, many of life's battles seem easier to handle! My preach--- walk everyday if you are able!! If you move more, yofood choices will improve!
  • mccindy72
    Options

You've decided a priori that no pill can help lose weight. That's theology, not science. I have no dog in the fight; I've never taken a pill and have no interest in doing so. And I know nothing about the specifics of Contrave. But there is no reason to rule out the possibility that there is a drug that 1) curbs appetite: and 2) in doing so, helps the user learn that they can function well on less food than they have been; so that 3) they will be healthier long term than if they had replied on behavior modification alone.

Since theology refers to religion, and I have none, and refer to none in my post, no. Since science refers to physical proof through study, and I refer to that in my post, then yes, obviously. Considering that every pill that comes on the market recommends calorie restriction and exercise, it's pretty obvious that even the pill manufacturers are aware of how weight is really lost.
    when a pill comes out which recommends eating whatever the hell a person wants, and sitting on your butt all day, and still guarantees weight loss, then we know that the miracle pill has come along.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Labelling a person is generally a bad way to start off a dialog, especially when you are wrong. Second, unless there are medical reasons then it's best that you avoid taking something that has potential side effects with no net benefit in the end. Also, point 2) is just counter to the reality that people that use appitite supressants do not learn to regulate their own behaviour, which leads to point 3) also being false and has no research to support it even as a statement onto itself. In fact, I would argue that behaviour modification is the ONLY way to sustain the weight loss because it means you have changed unhealthy habits into more healthy habits and NO drug can ever do that.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    kurbangrl wrote: »
    I agree with calorie deficit and exercise, but sometimes the physiological makeup of every individual DOES play a role! Environment, genetics, and how one deals with stress has an effect on body chemistry! Medication got me started... I continued my diet and exercise, seeing great results, ready to wean off meds! Now walking is my joy, de-stressor, and appetite suppressant, but I don't know if I would have seen the results so quickly without the help of pill! I know I said quickly, but who wants to wait to feel this good about yourself! Once over that hurdle, many of life's battles seem easier to handle! My preach--- walk everyday if you are able!! If you move more, yofood choices will improve!

This makes sense, but you have to be careful that once you remove the crutch that your appitite will return full force. I wish you luck because it's not easy. The best way to keep the weight from returning is to look at fitness goals and you seem to be doing that. It's a long term struggle but it's possible as long as you keep your goals in mind.

As an aside, you could have lost as much without the pill, trust me on that. I lost an average of 2.5lbs/week without anything but my own behavioural changes. I maintain that loss now by ensuring that my lifestyle meets my goals. Good luck and happy maintenance.
  • whitett28
    whitett28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How are you today? Thanks for the post.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    french528 wrote: »
    I started using Contrave 3 days ago and was looking to join a group, is there one on here that I can join?

Unlikely. MFP frowns on promoting spam products that are gimmicks and not necessary for weight loss.
    This is a medical prescription and if the mods want to ban it it is their business.

I'm curious why when these posts come about and someone is asking for experience or info, all of you who have neither jump in.

OP was prescribed this med. It isn't an OTC or spam product. If you can't add to the conversation why join it? Not everyone is using MFP the same way.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Venus_Red wrote: »
    french528 wrote: »
    I started using Contrave 3 days ago and was looking to join a group, is there one on here that I can join?

Unlikely. MFP frowns on promoting spam products that are gimmicks and not necessary for weight loss.
    This is a medical prescription and if the mods want to ban it it is their business.

I'm curious why when these posts come about and someone is asking for experience or info, all of you who have neither jump in.

OP was prescribed this med. It isn't an OTC or spam product. If you can't add to the conversation why join it? Not everyone is using MFP the same way.

This post is from January...
  • Starryskies77
    Starryskies77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day of taking contrave. So far I feel fine. I'm hoping this will aid me in my weight loss goals along with diet and exercise. To those who are taking contrave I would love to hear from you. Good look to everyone on their weight loss and or healthy lifestyle goals
  • bliss1267
    bliss1267 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So perhaps you should educate yourself about why people chose to get some help and stop judging people when you obviously don't know about it. Of course the only way to lose is by reducing calories and exercising. That's what people who take contrave do. Contrave helps reduce cravings and helps you shift focus away from obsessing over the food psychologically and feel better overall. So then you can simply eat to live and NOT live to eat and lose weight by reducing calories and exercising. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting help to get through it. Stop judging. Why are you even posting on a thread where they ask for people who have done this? You just came here to judge.
    I can contribute. I've lost 116+ lbs and i do it obviously by reducing calories and exercising, but I'm hungry all the time and crave foods horribly. That doesn't stop me from losing weight but my doctor suggested I try Contrave to help me in my journey and I'm so glad she did. The cravings are gone and I'm not focusing on food all the time.'I eat my three meals and put my focus on life and activities and I feel better overall. No side effects and I'm glad it's helping while I lose the weight by eating right and exercising.
    Oh, this makes me sad. Pills don't make you lose weight. Eating at a calorie deficit makes you lose weight. Are you going to take pills for the rest of your life? What happens when you stop taking the pills and you haven't learned to control the eating that made you overweight in the first place?

• ninjacakegirl
    ninjacakegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a little late to this thread, but thought I'd weigh in on it (no pun intended!).

I'm currently finishing up week 2 of Contrave and start week 3 on Tuesday. Since starting Contrave on October 13th, I've lost 8lbs (22 overall since late last year). I noticed some slight nausea in the first couple of days of taking it, but that went away quickly. I recommend using Sea Bands to help with the nausea (they utilize accupressure on points on your wrists), otherwise Bonine during the day and Dramamine at night if needed.

The only thing I really find to be a hindrance with the Contrave is that when I do slack off a bit and eat a bit of something I shouldn't have (like at a party), my body definitely lets me know (with an emergency trip to the bathroom).

With the scale, that's a whole new set of problems. I have 3 different types of tile in my house (thanks Previous Owner!). The tile in the bathroom is really uneven (thanks again!) and my bathroom is too small to store it there. In our lanai, the tile is 12"x12", but also textured and uneven so I can't really use there. So that leaves my office, where the tile is nice and big, but I can't really leave it out because of the furkids. It takes forever for the scale to re-calibrate once you move it, and if you weigh before it re-calibrates, your weight is generally higher, and if you weigh again and it's more accurate, it won't accept that 2nd weight.

In any case, I'm sticking with it, walking a lot, and I love it so far. I know I'm going to hit my goal by my deadline, and that's so encouraging.

(I'm totally not paid by anyone to say good things about Contrave and Scale Down, I'm just new to it and excited to finally be seeing results!)
  • Richwannabefit
    Richwannabefit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in my fifth week of Contrave and Scale Down. I have always keep away from weight loss pills and fad diets. I am not a binge eater but I do get satisfaction from eating certain foods. I have a behavioral addiction similar to gambling or electronic gaming addiction. A friend of mine was treated for gambling addiction. At first he took medication and now goes to a support group. Some would tell him to just stop placing bets. This is like telling a alcoholic to just stop drinking. They did not understand addiction.
    Many have told me to stop eating too much and get the cravings out of my head. I know that food itself is not addictive and calling it a food addiction is a poor term and call it what you want but some of us are non-substance behavioral addicts. Non substance addiction is a DSM classified medical illness.
    Contrave is a prescribed medication to reduce the satisfaction one gets from eating. The anti-depressant component has been prescribed for binge eating and the other component for substance addition. It reduces the satisfaction we get from eating and eliminates cravings. Like my friend I will get off this medication and will need support the rest of my life.
    Scale down is the support component to treatment. Weighing every day is a bother but is part of our treatment. The daily text message and weekly video is also part of the treatment. Calorie deficit is a must for weight loss. This medication only targets our behavior. MFP helps me achieve the calorie deficit and is another support group.

Ninjacakegirl: I also had trouble finding a level floor for my scale. When you move it use one foot and place about 30 pound of force on it and then step off. It will zero and not transmit your weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am in my fifth week of Contrave and Scale Down. I have always keep away from weight loss pills and fad diets. I am not a binge eater but I do get satisfaction from eating certain foods. I have a behavioral addiction similar to gambling or electronic gaming addiction. A friend of mine was treated for gambling addiction. At first he took medication and now goes to a support group. Some would tell him to just stop placing bets. This is like telling a alcoholic to just stop drinking. They did not understand addiction.
    Many have told me to stop eating too much and get the cravings out of my head. I know that food itself is not addictive and calling it a food addiction is a poor term and call it what you want but some of us are non-substance behavioral addicts. Non substance addiction is a DSM classified medical illness.
    Contrave is a prescribed medication to reduce the satisfaction one gets from eating. The anti-depressant component has been prescribed for binge eating and the other component for substance addition. It reduces the satisfaction we get from eating and eliminates cravings. Like my friend I will get off this medication and will need support the rest of my life.
    Scale down is the support component to treatment. Weighing every day is a bother but is part of our treatment. The daily text message and weekly video is also part of the treatment. Calorie deficit is a must for weight loss. This medication only targets our behavior. MFP helps me achieve the calorie deficit and is another support group.

Ninjacakegirl: I also had trouble finding a level floor for my scale. When you move it use one foot and place about 30 pound of force on it and then step off. It will zero and not transmit your weight.

This is interesting. I am working on not eating too much myself, a tendency I feel is based on part habit, part upbringing, part instinct, part environmental cues, part opportunity, part hyperpalatable foods, part misconceptions. I appreciate your explanation of how Contrave's meant to work. But I have read that "food addicts" get less satisfaction from food - and that that is the reason they (we) overeat. What has helped me, I think, is focusing on better tasting foods in slightly smaller amounts, and learning to enjoy the anticipation of food. (Allen Carr's "Easyweigh" made place some of the final pieces of the puzzle for me.)